NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Ability to slice a curve or wave.

creative197404creative197404 Posts: 30Member
I would like to be able to slice a completed traced design into wavey sections so each section can be changed to a different color. I would be happy to send the file I've been working on if it would help explain what I'm trying to accomplish.

I've tried the eraser and the bezier tool, but they don't give the finished product I'm looking for.

Comments

• leslie6111leslie6111 Posts: 544Member
    Why do you not try a thin wavy shape, you can even make it out of c's joined together. Then select what you want to cut and the wavy thin shape and do a boolean join (difference) to cut the shape with the wavy knife. That is reminiscent the old way that before the eraser was available to get rid of parts of shapes - in that case we used a small rectangle and boolean join. Just make a copy of your thin wavy shape before joining.
  • creative197404creative197404 Posts: 30Member
    Thanks for the suggestion leslie6111 :)

I don't really want to remove anything from the design. I want to just slice a section in a wave, but leave it in its place.

For instance, I have the word INDEPENDENCE. All of the letters are the same color and joined in one file. I want to cut those letters into 4 wavey sections, from left to right, to resemble the stripes of a flag. (I don't want to move the sections away from each other at all and I don't want to delete any of the sections.) Then I will change each section to a different color....red/white/red/white.

It would be just like what would happen if i just used the slice tool, but the slice tool only cuts straight lines :(

Sandy McCauley and I worked on this for several days, but we didn't come up with an acceptable work around.....yet.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,157Member
    @creative197404 Is this kind of what you are looking to do? White is not printable so I just did red, blue, red, blue as an example.
    Independence.PNG
    790 x 233 - 24K
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 4,646Member
    No, she wants to create something like this where the path is curved through the letters. I did this in KNK Studio, but we can't figure out how to do the same thing in MTC.

Curve Cut.JPG
    532 x 290 - 22K
    Sandy McCauley
    Retiring from KNK USA on May 1st... Cutting with KNK's forever!
    Providing the best in KNK education & support at I Love KNK
    I was able to do it with a very thin eraser (.1) going through 3 layers with the word at the same time. Then I broke each and deleted what I didn't want. I made the word very big as compared to the eraser.
    mtc
    mtc
    independence.mtc
  • BelindaBelinda Posts: 542Member
    I did it using a wavy shape and boolean join.
    independence.jpg
    850 x 208 - 41K
    mtc
    mtc
    independence.mtc
    Belinda
    Australia
    Zing and a Craft Robo
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,350Member
    If you watch the video from last week, Bryan did demo it...but don't ask me how, LOL, I had stepped out of the room!
    I did this with boolean join as well - you get more control- Made a wavy shape, then thin pathed it and then shadowed slightly. I used the shadow shape to boolean join.
    mtc
    mtc
    indepenence2.mtc
    indepence.png
    786 x 256 - 62K
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,157Member
    Great job @Belinda and @leslie6111. I used the Boolean join feature also, but thought she wanted the whole word in a wave and not each individual letter.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • BelindaBelinda Posts: 542Member
    Take 2!! Just realised it was meant to be 4 wavy sections. Same method applies anyway. Cheers, B.
    independence 4 waves.jpg
    749 x 206 - 26K
    mtc
    mtc
    independence.mtc
    Belinda
    Australia
    Zing and a Craft Robo
This discussion has been closed.