We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Illustrator/Photoshop workflow

tb92676tb92676 Member Posts: 2
Hello All. I've been reading different threads about how to work with photoshop/illustrator when working with print and cut. I'm new but I wanted to share how I've been working back and forth because I think it may either help someone out or maybe someone can help me fine tune it.

I have jpeg files with clipping paths and bleeds I want cut. So the first thing I do is make a rectangle in MTC and use my jpeg image as a texture. Back in photoshop I export the paths to illustrator - open in illustrator and fill the path with a solid color. I use the pathfinder divide tool so I can go in and delete the 'negative space' for the inside cuts. When I am done with that I go back to pathfinder and unite the shape again. Save as an ai and go back to MTC. I then import my 'cut file' ai and align it with my image that is a texture and then turn that layer off. I print to pdf (I'm on a mac so I use a program called CUPS-PDF that installs itself as a printer) I can place my pdf that now has the image and the crop marks in indesign - but it could be photoshop or illustrator, make any changes I need to and print it out. Load it up on my mat- go back to MTC and cut it out using my illustrator paths. This way I get the control of my professional design software for the printed image but can still cut everything out perfectly.

Does this help anyone?Any ideas to improve?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.