NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Font download help

Got a question for the MTC gurus! I just downloaded a font onto my computer (yes, ANOTHER ONE- lol). When I'm on the install screen and I click on Install it shows the "swooshy" version of the font where the letters have all the pretty little tails and such. However, once I install it and open it in MTC, the swooshes are not there. Just the plain version. When I click on "all glyphs" it adds a WHOLE BUNCH of empty boxes in the font window but there is nothing in them. Can't seem to figure out how to get the swooshes to show up???? It is an OTF font if that makes any difference. I went online and looked since this is a paid font to see if there were multiple versions of it, but there is only one. Funny thing is, when I check the box for "show face" it actually shows the name of the font with the "swooshy" version, not the plain one like is in the boxes. Any ideas????

Comments

• AndyAndy Posts: 4,450Administrator
    do you have the font file or a link to it?
    I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
  • LyricalLettersLyricalLetters Posts: 188Member
    How do I upload it for you? It says file type not allowed.
    OK, I've done some investigating and it MAY be that this is a free version of the font, however it still puzzles me why it shows all the "swooshy" letters on the screen when you install it but after installation, they are no longer there. Is that normal? I even tried to restart my computer to see if that would make a difference but it didn't. It's really strange. When I pull it up as a file (when I was going to send it to you) the preview shows the swooshy version-not the plain one.
    well, i'd like to have the file to see what you are talking about... i have no idea what the problem is. If it's online, can you post a link to the page... or the name of the font, or upload the font itself to the forum...

Also, make sure "Bold" and/or "Italic" isn't checked.. sometimes that changes a font.
    Is there some way I can send it to you through email or something since it won't let me upload it here?
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,222Member
    Can you post a link to the file where you downloaded it from?
    Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
    Andy, I just sent you an email at contact@make-the-cut with the file in it since I couldn't upload it here. I tried to send the link but it has been removed from the page. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
    Oh, and I tried Bold and Italics and neither of those made any difference.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,222Member

. . . I tried to send the link but it has been removed from the page. . .

That may be your answer if it has been removed, there was something wrong with the file and it was removed. Maybe they had posted the wrong font file.
    Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
    I think it was removed because it's a paid font and the person who posted it wasn't aware of that. She posted it and then was told she should remove it before someone got in trouble for posting a paid font on a free page. It was on the Silhouette FB page in the files section but she has removed the file now. It's the Feel Script font and it's a $99 font!

It's not that big of a deal. I just thought I'd try to get it while I had the chance! I've been wanting that font forever but didn't have the $99 to buy it with. It's just puzzling as to why it shows the swooshy version on the install screen but it's not there once installed. I've never seen one do that before. Really weird!
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,157Member
    edited March 2013
    I just read a couple stories about Feel Script Font. The creator based Feel Script on a font called Monterey BT. Monterey doesn't have the swooshes, but it might be a nice free compromise. Feel Script is a very nice font.
    Post edited by HappyCrafter on
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
    Yes it is!! It's the ONLY font I'd ever consider paying $100 for. It's worth every penny. I just don't have the 10,0000 pennies right now. lol

I have Monterey. It is pretty close but there is just something about those swooshes!!
  • CandiceCandice Posts: 45Member
    Mabe it's because it's an OTF
    I loaded this font into all kinds of programs and not one of them display the crazy tails... The only thing that does is the font preview.

You can see the glyphs with the crazy tails far down in the preview here:
    http://marketplace.veer.com/font/Feel-Script-UMT0000300#

but if you type something in there, none of the crazy tails show up -- so there has to be a trick to getting them to show up. Maybe if you write the authors and ask? It's probably not the first time they have received that question.
    Seems that there are char-sets inside this one font.. You can see them all here:
    http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/sudtipos/feel-script/

There is a dropdown where you can select which one you want to see:
    Capture.PNG
    741 x 342 - 38K
    edited March 2013
    OK -- I figured it out. These are "advanced features" of OTF fonts -- Microsoft didn't even start supporting them until 2010.

As of 2009, popular Windows word processors did not support advanced OpenType typography features. Advanced typography features are implemented only in high-end desktop publishing software. However, the text engine from Windows Presentation Foundation, which is a managed code implementation of OpenType, is the first Windows API to expose OpenType features to software developers, supporting both OpenType TrueType, and OpenType CFF (Compact Font Format) fonts. It supports advanced typographic features such as ligatures, old-style numerals, swash variants, fractions, superscript and subscript, small capitalization, glyph substitution, multiple baselines, contextual and stylistic alternate character forms, kerning, line-level justification, ruby characters etc. WPF applications automatically gain support for advanced typography features. OpenType ligatures are accessible in Microsoft Office Word 2010.[13]
    So, what you'd have to do is get the latest MS Word or Adobe software that can handle it, then export as SVG or print to PDF and import to MTC.

That's why the font is 100$... it has over 2000 glyphs and tons of different styles.
    Post edited by Andy on
  • suekayesuekaye Posts: 594Member
    @Andy Thank you so much I have the font and the "advanced features" were available to me in Photoshop Elements 11... has happened to me with other fonts in the past but did not know how to even ask the question.
    Thanks so much for all of your research Andy! I really appreciate it! Looks like I'm out of luck though because I only have Microsoft Word 2007 =( I guess that means it won't work on my computer, right? So, if this is the case, if I actually went and purchased the $100 version, I would still not be able to use all of it, correct? I'm so glad I found this out BEFORE I spent the money on it because this is the ONLY font I would ever pay that much for and I was SERIOUSLY considering it. Oh well. Thanks again!
    no problem -- I am sure there has to be free software out there to handle these "advanced" features... I will keep an eye out.
    I just tried to figure it out in Photoshop Elements 9 which I know NOTHING about. It's there! I don't know how to do anything with it, but when I type in something with that font, the extra stuff shows up. Just gotta figure out how to use Photoshop so I can do something with it. =)
  • lamblamb Posts: 298Member
    @LyricalLetters ...i downloaded it from happycampers link and it loads into mtc :)
    Yes, it loads into MTC but all of the glyphs don't show. That is the problem with it. You can use the basic font but all of the different variations don't show. There are LOTS of variations of the font and those are what I'm interested in using. I was able to use Photoshop to get ONE of the variations to show up and then I can save it and import it into MTC. Kind of a pain but it works until Andy gets it figured out. =)
  • 4children4children Posts: 23Member
    Is this something that can be addressed in an update so that all the glyphs will show up MTC? Thanks
    @4children, last I heard (months ago), Andy had plans to work on it eventually but it is a very slow process. I don't expect it anytime soon. He said it is VERY complicated to do.
  • 4children4children Posts: 23Member
    Thanks, I am sure it would be huge programming changes. Would be nice through!
This discussion has been closed.