We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Layering heat transfer vinyl

silhouettesilhouette Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone! New to site and needing help!! I am trying to layer a multi-color htv design. I can not get it aligned without being able to use registration marks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    Are you able to share your file at all?

Is it a design you can use the 'stack' feature on?

For multi-layers of vinyl, using some type of registration marks or alignment mark would be highly recommended.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • allandra42allandra42 Member Posts: 690
    I have layered vinyl I just keep moving it and looking at it until I get it right. I will tell you however that according to the experts at winpcsign forum layered vinyl comes loose after many washings, You may want to join there and there are some wonderful experts on vinyl and rhinestones.
    http://www.winpcsign2010.com/forum/ Lesa
    Cutting with a 15" Black Cat Cougar and a 24 " Silver Bullet T shirts with a Heat Press Nation 15" Swing away press Foiling around with the Foil Master
  • efghausefghaus Member Posts: 1,078
    @silhouette, i made 7 T shirts to celebrate a family trip to walt disney world and my daughter's,my son in law's and my mother in law's birthdays last fall. Their shirts said "Its my birthday" and everyone else's shirt said, "Its their birthday" i made a shadow on the design, so i had two colors. it was very challenging to get everything lined up perfectly times 7. i was really sweating over it when my daughter said,lovingly, mom, "you know we're all going to wear these just the one day, right?" she was right. i haven't worn my since.
    my only advice is be patient lining things up. if there's another way, i haven't found it yet. good luck!
    Eileen G on the spacecoast Florida Bye Bye Crapcut, Hello Zing. Where have you been all my life?
  • ElaurElaur Member Posts: 244
    edited January 2013
    I'm wondering the same thing, I've done hand lineups with HTV and it worked just fine but I have been thinking that with something like circles the brain would know if they were just a hair off (like a captain america shield)

My idea was to either baste or sticker a piece of fabric to the shirt somewhere off of where the actual htv should go and put the registration marks on that area of the HTV cut. Then after everything gets lined up I can remove the piece of fabric from the shirt and the registration marks will be gone.

It's really the only idea I've come up with so far and I haven't tried it yet. I think it would work as long as the sticky doesn't stick on the shirt (I've had that happen using 505 fabric sticky spray on the top of embroidery.)

Don't forget that you get to relineup your heat transfer vinyl until it looks right because it's only slightly sticky. It's not like sign vinyl that sticks like glue if you screw it up a little bit.

I did this panda with my eye and it turned out great. Don't forget that stuff from the store is never perfectly perfect either.

image You really can't tell it was done without registration marks.

Oh one thing to remember is that the vinyl will shrink a bit when it's heated so you don't want to over warm it when layering. Just warm it till it sticks then do the next one.
  • efghausefghaus Member Posts: 1,078
    @Elaur, thats an interesting idea. basting a small scrap for registration marks might work well.
    Eileen G on the spacecoast Florida Bye Bye Crapcut, Hello Zing. Where have you been all my life?
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,510
    What about using a store bought tool, like the Tee Square-It, or the Perfect Transfers Tool?
  • minorcustomcraftsminorcustomcrafts Member Posts: 674
    I have had designs that I need to layer, but I had also heard that they last longer if the HTV touches the fabric. So I copy and paste in place the top object to be layered, then 1 of those objects I " join" to the bottom layer. Remember when you are layering oly heat for 3 secs per layer, when you get to the top one then press for the amount you are suppose to. I am giving you a link to my website of me doing it this way. I am sure there Re more on there.

http://minorcustomcrafts.com/home/boy/big-red-tractor-2/
    Trisha Now cutting with an 18" Black Cat Cougar minorcustomcrafts.com
  • allandra42allandra42 Member Posts: 690
    I did this hoodie by eye balling it and it turned out fine.
    Cutting with a 15" Black Cat Cougar and a 24 " Silver Bullet T shirts with a Heat Press Nation 15" Swing away press Foiling around with the Foil Master
  • lizalookslizalooks Member Posts: 227
    I have not done much ( any) HTV but I do sew a lot. If the first layer had a cross hair cut out in 2 places you could use tailors chalk to mark the registration on the garment. The other layers would have a circle with the cross hairs left inside to line up with the chalk lines....I feel like this would work well and the chalk just brushes off when finished.
  • ElaurElaur Member Posts: 244
    I guess for concentric circles if the htv was only on the spot that that specific color should be on it would still be easy to line up since there would be holes for the other colors.
  • CherylCCherylC Member Posts: 1,097
    Don't know if this will help, but here is someone doing a 4-layer design
    image If you purchase Graphics Factory Membership please consider using my Affiliate Link. Thanks♪♥CherylC♥♪ - Gallery ID: 2836 Taylor Made Originals Shop | Crafting Blog | TMO FB Page | Baking Blog | Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!