NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Electronic Cutter Comparison 2012?

undecidedundecided Posts: 407Member
I found Paperthreads 2011 comparison...but i am wondering if there is a 2012 comparison?
My dh is onboard with my buying a new one, but i will only do this once, so i want to make a good decision.

I was thinking that i wanted the knk Zing, but now that this is real, I am thinking that 14" is awkward, and that 15" makes far more sense and then the price sky rockets! then i was thinking that the bigger KNKs are about $1000, so i could get zing for smaller, heavier materials and then get a 24" vinyl cutter and actually spend less...

Also wondering if there are ever specials on these machines? the new cougar looks great...but seeing as the original is $750 i cant imagine what the bluetooth version will cost! but if there were specials...i could wait.... for that matter the KNK Maxx ....

I know that there are lots of threads, and i will spend my spare minutes on them, but there is also a lot of new technology coming out RIGHT NOW!!!!!! Yay!!!
Your advice is invaluable! thank you

Comments

• Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,366Member
    Bumping this for you. I don't know of a 2012 comparison chart - but it you search some of the different cutters here, you will find many user reviews and comments. Several people have asked recently "what is the best cutter..." and there have been lots of responses. Good luck with your research!
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 4,623Member
    Even though the KNK Zing has a maximum cutting width of 14", you can still insert materials that are up to 17" in width into the cutter. Since a lot of rolled materials come in 15" widths, the KNK Zing works perfectly for those materials because you typically want to allow ~ 1/2" border on either side anyhow.
    Sandy McCauley
    Retiring from KNK USA on May 1st... Cutting with KNK's forever!
    Providing the best in KNK education & support at I Love KNK
  • kmmhugkmmhug Posts: 761Member
    http://silverbulletcutters.com/comparison-chart/ Is the comparison chart with the largest number of machines on it that I am aware of.
    Loving my Cougar and Cameo!
  • hwganghwgang Posts: 2,337Member
    @undecided I hope that you can make the perfect cutter decision for you, but I do always offer a cautionary note to be gentle with yourself if that is not the case. I speak from first-hand experience. @SandyMcC echoed the cutting material width I wanted to echo. In terms of bang for the buck, it's a hard machine to beat. It's not your only good choice, I understand. I'm just giving it a hearty, 5 star review. :D I now own two KNK machines. The Zing and the Eagle. I own a sewing machine and a serger. And when it comes to knitting machines....well....let's just say I plead the 5th. But our vehicles are at least 10 years old and approaching 200K miles. We do all our own service. There is no universal approach, just individual needs and tolerances.

I am not a scrapbooker. (yet. I suspect grandchildren may change that eventually.) I previously had no real interest in these machines but I discovered all manner of unexpected uses...like sandblasting, which I've discovered I adore. I started out with a used PC machine ONLY after discovering MTC and my ability to create unique, independent designs. (Very important to me.) What I am is a professional, passionate crafter and true to myself. That's a CRITICALLY important part to any cutter decision IMO. Know who you are and what you want. And if you dip a toe in a decide that, well, after all, you want MORE from a machine than you ever thought...well....that's where my "be gentle with yourself" comment comes in. It is difficult to anticipate all the doors that may be opened to you but if your budget allows, most would recommend over- rather than under- buying.

My two cents. :-)
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly

In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • undecidedundecided Posts: 407Member
    kmmhug said:

http://silverbulletcutters.com/comparison-chart/ Is the comparison chart with the largest number of machines on it that I am aware of.

I need more hours in the day!
    SandyMcC said:

Even though the KNK Zing has a maximum cutting width of 14", you can still insert materials that are up to 17" in width into the cutter. Since a lot of rolled materials come in 15" widths, the KNK Zing works perfectly for those materials because you typically want to allow ~ 1/2" border on either side anyhow.

OMG!!! soooo good to know!!!!!

@hwgang thank you :) what is the Eagle? cutter
  • hwganghwgang Posts: 2,337Member
    @undecided The Eagle is a now-discontinued 24" KNK machine. Its particular "claim to fame" was a cutting force of 1500 grams and it was developed, in particular, for fabric which is tops on my list for uses to grow into and which is why I wanted the extra width. Since I have the space to keep it set up and love features like the tables and tethered control panel, I tend to use it for all my cutting now.

HOWEVER, SandyMcC is reporting that the new Maxx Air seems to have magical powers when it comes to cutting force. ;) Last I knew she was still experimenting but discovering, for whatever reason, that she was using much lower force settings, material for material, than she used on the previous Maxx model.
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly

In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
This discussion has been closed.