We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Make The Cut! Mac Version 4.1.1 (Zing BETA Version)

AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
edited November 2012 in MTC Updates
Hey all...

We found the problem on OSX 10.7.5 and have fixed/updated the installer.

Please save/find your registration key before uninstalling the old version. You will have to re-register after installing the new version.

Also, make sure to back up "Your Shapes" by going to Help>>Advanced>>Backup And Restore "Your Shapes">>Back up, the just restore after you reinstall.

We highly suggest using App Cleaner to remove applications from your Mac.

Please note that the size of the installer is about 295 MB in size, so please be patient when downloading.

Click here to download the new Mac installer.

Thanks for your patience!
Ann and Andy
I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• AnnAnn Administrator Posts: 1,834
    I wanted to add a thank you to @MeFlick for all of the help she offered in researching and testing for us. Made it easier for Andy to know what to test first.
    Thanks Melanie!
  • huperhuper Member Posts: 7
    I just wanted to thank everyone who was involved in fixing this issue so quickly.
    I am happy to say MTC is working wonderfully on my Mac.
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    I have a Macbook Pro but no Zing yet. Would it be possible to download and use the Make the Cut Mac? I have purchased the previous MTC for Windows.
  • AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
    tvoss123 said:

I have a Macbook Pro but no Zing yet. Would it be possible to download and use the Make the Cut Mac? I have purchased the previous MTC for Windows.

Yes... anyone can download and use the Mac version... it currently only cuts to the Zing though... but you can design on the mac version, and the files will work on the Windows version as well.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,126
    Whooo hooo! Glad it was an easy fix for Andy! Will get it installed again on my Mac and give it a go However, that may be tomorrow :(( . Meetings at school, DS orthodontics appt. and then 2 volleyball matches this afternoon/evening will keep me away most of today!

@tvoss123 - you can download the MTC MAC beta and install on your Macbook Pro. That is what I have my version on. you simply use your registration code from the MTC for windows purchase you have made. I don't have a Zing so I can't cut from my Mac version but I can do design, editing, pixel tracing, etc. on my Mac now - pretty much everything but cut. I then just put it in my dropbox account to transfer to my PC MTC to cut to one of my cutters!
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,363
    Thanks Andy. I just downloaded the new installer and the installer replaced my old mac beta with the new. Couldn't be easier.
  • PhyllisPhyllis Member Posts: 128
    @Andy, I have just upgraded to OSX 10.8.2 and it doesn't work. Is this fix not applicable to this version?
    Silhouette SD and Cameo Mac OS 10 Southwest Ohio http://www.etsy.com/shop/OBannonCreekCrafts
  • tvoss123tvoss123 Member Posts: 212
    Thank you both for responding. I am going to set up MTC on my Mac right away. It will be so cool to look at all the wonderful mtc files without having to go to my PC.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,363
    Oh by the way before you can install on Mountain lion, you have to go into your security settings and allow a non apple developer store program the permission to change your system. Once done, you can reset the permissions to be more conservative. This is a new security feature i.e. control 'freak' mechanism that came with with the mountain lion update. (Apple seems to be getting more like Microsoft everyday.) Other than that it was easy to swap the beta mac programs.
  • nonnasscrapsnonnasscraps Member Posts: 381
    Thank you, thank you! thank you! I will have to wait until after work, but it is my first priority! You are awesome!
    JeannieH in NC Sorting scraps in a blended family of cutters and loving my ZaraZing the most! Find my stories at www.nonnasscraps.blogspot.com Check out LetteringDelights--this link will tell them I sent you!
    edited October 2012
    Phyllis said:

@Andy, I have just upgraded to OSX 10.8.2 and it doesn't work. Is this fix not applicable to this version?

From Apple to Developers:
    OS X Mountain Lion users will have the option of turning on Gatekeeper, a security feature that gives users the ability to choose to install software only from the Mac App Store and identified developers. If your application is not signed with a Developer ID certificate issued by Apple, it will not launch on systems that have this security option selected. To avoid this situation, sign your applications and installer packages using a Developer ID certificate and thoroughly test the end-user experience using a Gatekeeper enabled system before you distribute your application outside of the Mac App Store.

Referenced from this article.

I have to figure out how much this is going to cost us... I am sure Apple is going to charge us an arm and a leg to get these certificates. Microsoft has been doing it for years.
    @Andy, thanks but I don't believe Gatekeeper is the issue in my case. I have it set for 'Anywhere' so as to allow unsigned software to launch. My problem is, when I launch MTC ComBridge, I get the error window saying it can't find the device and gives me the options- 'Retry', 'Continue Anyway', & 'Cancel'. I click on 'Continue Anyway' and it takes me to the COM Port list. The correct USBSerial Port for my device isn't in the list, just Bluetooth & PDA Sync ports only. Also, the FTDI Driver doesn't show in the USB Device Tree in System Report. I suspect the FTDI Driver isn't loading properly? I'm on a MacBook Air.

I've followed the install process to the letter several times and even uninstalled the MTC apps and FTDI, and then re-installed. Still no go.
    Silhouette SD and Cameo Mac OS 10 Southwest Ohio http://www.etsy.com/shop/OBannonCreekCrafts
    Just make sure you run the FTDI device installer.... Make sure your Zing is unplugged from your computer before you do that.

Once it finishes, plug the USB cable back in to your computer and make sure to power the Zing on

Then run the bridge program.
    edited October 2012
    Like I said, I've followed the process to the letter, I've done what you mentioned, except I don't have a Zing but a Cameo, still doesn't work. I do understand that it won't cut with anything except the Zing but when I had SnowLeopard it ran perfect with no glitches but with Mountain Lion I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks for your quick response, guess I'll have to wait on the native version.
    I have no idea about the Cameo... I would write their tech support.

The Cameo doesn't use the FTDI drivers... so that's not the issue. The Cameo uses their own drivers... so maybe it's an issue with their drivers and the 10.8.2. This isn't an MTC issue...
    @Andy, thanks so much for your time, I think I'll just switch to SCAL for the time being as it is currently working fine with Mountain Lion. Best regards.
  • nonnasscrapsnonnasscraps Member Posts: 381
    @ Andy THe new version works perfectly on my MacBook Pro! I am such a happy camper, you don't know! Thank you!
    JeannieH in NC Sorting scraps in a blended family of cutters and loving my ZaraZing the most! Find my stories at www.nonnasscraps.blogspot.com Check out LetteringDelights--this link will tell them I sent you!
    @nonnascraps, are you running Mountain Lion?
    Phyllis said:

@Andy, thanks but I don't believe Gatekeeper is the issue in my case. I have it set for 'Anywhere' so as to allow unsigned software to launch. My problem is, when I launch MTC ComBridge, I get the error window saying it can't find the device and gives me the options- 'Retry', 'Continue Anyway', & 'Cancel'. I click on 'Continue Anyway' and it takes me to the COM Port list. The correct USBSerial Port for my device isn't in the list, just Bluetooth & PDA Sync ports only. Also, the FTDI Driver doesn't show in the USB Device Tree in System Report. I suspect the FTDI Driver isn't loading properly? I'm on a MacBook Air.

I've followed the install process to the letter several times and even uninstalled the MTC apps and FTDI, and then re-installed. Still no go.

@Phyllis, I am a little confused. You say you are using the Cameo but the MTC Beta is only presently setup to CUT to the Zing. You only need to launch the MTC ComBridge if you are trying to actually cut to a cutter (but only a Zing cutter), which in your case you don't have and therefore shouldn't/wouldn't want to try to do.
    Although you said in another post that it ran fine for you with Snow Leopard before updating to Mountain Lion. So, are you saying you were using the MTC Mac Beta under Snow Leopard and was actually using it with your Cameo to CUT with? (This is where my confusion lies! ;) )

I don't have a Zing. I do have 3 other brands of cutters though. I have both the PC version of MTC (which I have had pretty much since its initial release) and have downloaded MTC MAC Beta to my MacBook Pro. Since I don't have a supported cutter, I just skip the step about launching the MTC ComBridge (no need to do that since I am not trying to use a cutter with it on my Mac) and install MTC and run it. I have been able to do this just fine. Only problem I have encountered was when they updated the OSX to 10.7.5 last week. I am still running Lion, not Mountain Lion. Since Andy fixed the "Wine" issue that update caused, I am again able to run MTC on my MacBook Pro just as I was able to before.

So, long story short - have you tried to run MTC without messing with the MTC ComBridge (assuming that you are not trying to cut to an unsupported cutter)? If not, you might try to do it without launching the ComBridge and see what occurs. I realize you have Mountain Lion and I am running Lion but people with Mountain Lion were successfully running MTC MAC Beta before this last issue caused by the updates to the OS that caused the Wine issue.

On a side note - it is not just the Mountain Lion version that now has the "Gate Keeper" - they added that to the Lion update with 10.7.5 which was what I initially thought might have caused the problem but mine too was set to accept "anywhere". That is what led me to keep searching and found that the last updates to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Lion 10.7.5 had caused a conflict with Wine installations and that Wine had fixed it and that it was probably the issue for the MTC Mac Beta version we had started to encounter.

Go Vols!
    Phyllis said:

@nonnascraps, are you running Mountain Lion?

I just installed Mountain Lion this morning.. everything is working fine for me. I can cut to the Zing with no issues.
    edited October 2012
    @MeFlick, no no no, I know you can't cut with any cutter but the Zing, (I did mention that in my post) but I just followed the steps in the install process which included the Bridge, thinking that was a step you had to do regardless. I did the same thing when I was on Snow Leopard and it didn't give me the issues I'm having now. I was not and never did expect it to cut with my Cameo.

Edited to add: Before with Snow Leopard the program would run (with the Bridge installed, whether I needed it or not) but now it won't even run the program.

I will try again and not install the Bridge part and see what happens, no one ever mentioned that little/big issue in this case.
    you can't run the bridge program because it's not signed...

To get the bridge program to run, hold the Control key and left click on it. On the menu that pops up, click "Open". You will get a window that pops up asking if you are sure you want to open it, click "Open"
    OK, I just dropped MTC in my applications folder and ignored all the other instructions and it is running fine. Wow, had I only known this before, it would have saved me a whole lot of frustration. Thanks @MeFlick.
    @Phyllis - glad it is working for you now. I knew you mentioned you knew it couldn't cut with anything but the Zing, so I was pretty sure that you weren't trying to cut but just wanted to clarify that to make sure since you were trying to use the ComBridge part that was for finding the cutter. If you are not using MTC with a cutter then as stated, you can skip that part because its not needed in our instance. Its primary purpose is to allow the software to find and communicate to a supported cutter.

Go Vols!
  • cecicavallaricecicavallari Member Posts: 2
    thanks Andy, I have just installed and it works perfectly on Mountain Lion and began to make my cuts from my mac. Its wonderfull! thanks a lot again
    Just bumping up for the "weekends only time I get to the forum crowd"
    Go Vols!
  • Julief1Julief1 Member Posts: 12
    I am having trouble- just installed the mac version and everything went ok ( the mtc is registered and works) except that I cannot get the bridge to connect to the zing. I have restarted the mac and also plugged/ unplugged/ turned on/off the zing...
    PS- I did not de-install the old stuff that i was using with Parallels, do I need to?
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    edited October 2012
    @Julief1, I'm not a Mac owner, so I'm trying to reach Chad so he can help you. Or maybe we can get @Andy to assist.

Did you watch the video that shows all of the steps? Also, I believe there's a "Save" button in the bridge window. Did you click on that? I remember Chad telling me once that a customer had to do that and then it allowed the Test to work.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Sorry @Julief1 - although a Mac owner running this Beta version, I don't have a Zing and thus have never done the Bridge part. My suggestion would be to email [email protected] and request their assistance. They are not always on the MB and do not see all of the threads posted here.
    Go Vols!
  • Margaret WilburnMargaret Wilburn Member Posts: 105
    I'm with Julie...new Mac, can't get bridge to work. Turned off Gatekeeper options, restarted, reinstalled...tried everything I can think of. I'm running 10.8.2.
  • Margaret WilburnMargaret Wilburn Member Posts: 105
    Update: Got it working...not sure what I did but all is good. Thanks so much Andyu for thinking of us diehard Mac people!
  • astack229astack229 Member Posts: 875
    Julief1 said:

PS- I did not de-install the old stuff that i was using with Parallels, do I need to?

@Julief1, I did not de-install the MTC version that I have for the PC (via Parallels) portion of my Mac. I recommend that you do NOT delete it. The Mac version is Beta and there are still some issues (not a complaint, just an observation!!!) I was doing some wedding glasses for some dear friends. I found the font I wanted to use, did the whole design and it looked funny. The font which was a swash font (Mussica Swash) looked very squarish. I brought up MTC through Parallels and went through the process again and it looked perfect! I'm attaching two MTC files. It is the same text in the same font but you can see the difference!

• ChadatKNKChadatKNK Member Posts: 416
    edited October 2012
    @Julief1

When you open MTC, does it show the machine as connected? What issues do you run into within MTC Bridge, (Did you have any options from the dropdown windows) ? When you first installed the software, did you have the machine plugged into the Mac, or did you wait until after installation before plugging it in, (and proceeding do the MTC bridge part of setup)?
    Vice President - Accugraphic Sales, Inc. Need support for your KNK product? contact us here: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    I watched the video first because I am not all that comfortable with installing things. Both MTC and the bridge are in my applications but when I ran the bridge part and chose the first com 1 and then the tty. etc and then clicked on the Z nothing happened. I did not click on the save button because nothing had happened to save.
    I did not have the machine plugged in until after I installed.
    Where and what is the Gatekeeper option? and do I need to do something there?
    What version of OSX are you running? I know we have experienced some issues with folks using anything below OSX 10.5.8
    Vice President - Accugraphic Sales, Inc. Need support for your KNK product? contact us here: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    WOW- it worked. I did save it just to try it and then made a cut and it worked! When I watched the video he said that when i clicked on the Z the machine would move an inch and I would know that it connected. Well after reading Sandy's response about clicking on Save I thought i would try and it then said connection success. So I did a test cut and it worked. I have not used the Zing all summer after using it extensively all winter and spring and I have forgotten a bunch of stuff so the cut was awful but I can work on that now that I have it working.Thanks!
    lol glad to hear that worked :)
  • BlueGumBlueGum Member Posts: 1
    Im downloading this version now. I just wished there was a reference to it on the main window, as this update is very hard to find.
    Great machine though (Zing) - Im happy with the software and will love it when its out of Beta (Hopefully soon) :)
    edited October 2012
    KNK USA keeps it on their web site under Support and then click on Resources
    Sandy McCauley
  • CashudCashud Member Posts: 17
    Hi, maybe someone can help me - I have OS10.8.2. I downloaded the installer and am getting the error that says: WARNING the following disk images couldn't be opened then it list the .Dmg file and the reason it gives is 'legacy image should be converted

Cant wait to upgrade would love it if someone knows why it won't let me know the installer :)

Thanks!
  • CashudCashud Member Posts: 17
    Never Fear was a dodgy download I started again downloaded the same file and this time we have success. Ta.
    Glad to hear it was a bad download and that you have it working.
    Go Vols!
  • mk768780mk768780 Member Posts: 3
    Guys

I have a new KNK Maxx 24 Air.
    I assume it will work as well with the Mac software?
    As far as I am aware, the Mac version is still considered a "beta" version. Also, all need to be aware that it is not running "native" in MAC OS software but runs via "wine". It will work to design, edit, create designs, etc. BUT I am not sure you will be able to "cut" to your KNK Maxx (just yet). The last I knew, the only cutter it was working with was the Zing. There were some other users of other KNK machines who had used it but, as I last had seen posted, they were having trouble cutting. Since I don't have any of those machines, I use it to create, edit, etc. and then send to my PC machine to cut to my cutters.

I would suggest that you send an email to either Chad with KNK (sorry not sure of his email) or [email protected] and ask them directly if it should or will work.
    Go Vols!
  • mk768780mk768780 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    This is a very interesting fact to find out. Wine is absolutely not MTC running on Mac. What a waste of time. Wine is a very technical and difficult piece of software meant for "geeks" and experts not crafters who use this wonderfull software as a tool.

I hope you will abandon this approach and write a active OSX application. The pain of extra effort to write a native application will be worth it in the end.

At the very least you should ensure that everyone knows this is "NOT" make the cut on Mac.

People will be better off sticking to Windows on Parallels or VMWare Fusion as much as it pains me to say being a staunch Mac supporter.
    Well, it has always been known that it runs under Wine. This thread was to let people know that there was an update to the Beta to fix a Wine issue caused when they updated OSX Lion and Mountain Lion. However, Andy set up the installer to install the wine and then install the MTC under it so even non-techy people can still install and use it. Andy has clearly said over and over that he is not a Mac OS Programmer and is happy to talk to anyone who is that might want to work on making it "native". I refuse to put Windows and parallels or VM fusion on my Mac. So I have a PC too BUT I can still use MTC on my Mac pretty much the same as I do on my PC other than not being able to cut to my cutter since it is not a Zing. It "looks" the same.
    Go Vols!
  • JaredJared Member Posts: 4
    Happy thanksgiving!

just curious if anyone else is having a tough time downloading the file...I am getting an access denied error when I click the link to download..
    I'm not sure what happened with KNK USA's link. You can get it from my server using this link:
    http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Software/Make-The-Cut/MTC - Mac Beta/
    Sandy McCauley
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,287
    edited November 2012
    @Jared - The link in the original post is now fixed.
This discussion has been closed.