NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Quick question about how much to charge for glass etching.

iakstiggeriakstigger Posts: 85Member
edited June 2012 in General
I was asked to etch 12 beer mugs with 4 lines of text for a wedding. One line of the text would change
for every mug. Plus a design. They need them done in a week. Do you think $15 a mug
is too much to charge for the etching?

Comments

• PaperthreadsPaperthreads Posts: 748Member
    I dont think so.

They would be charges artwork change for each one somewhere else, and the mugs would probably average 25-40 each.
    www.paperthreadsblog.com
    Pre-Order the Silhouette Portrait Today!

If there are typing errors, blame it on my fat fingers on my mobile device....some days they seem fatter then others!
  • babykatbabykat Posts: 596Member
    This is what is available on a site that does that... so yours is a bargain!
    ;;)
    Personalization Price
    Minimum charge, one word, letter number or initial $6
    Per word (two or more letters) $3
    One letter word (I, A) $3
    Number (1st, 2nd, 3rd 2012) $3
    Initials (MJ, USAF) $3
    Single initial w/o punctuation $3
    Stand alone symbols (- & + % = @ ®) $3
    Monogram $3

Any date (May 2, 2012, 5/2/2012, May 2nd)

$3-$9 varies by format
    Premium font $3
    Designs $3-$12
    Single line logo $6
    Color Fill Gavoxide $6
    Filled logo $9
    Wedding logo $12
    Maximum engraving charge per item no max

• paupau04paupau04 Posts: 4,824Member
    edited June 2012
    I charge $15 for the dollar store mugs. If they supply the mugs I still charge $15. I try to avoid people supplying glassware it usually comes back to bite me in the boo-tay
    Post edited by paupau04 on
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!!

http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
  • iakstiggeriakstigger Posts: 85Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice. They decide I was too expensive and are trying to do it themselves. All I could say was good luck. But at least I won't be pulling my hair out trying to get them done by next Friday.
  • KimKim Posts: 2,467Member
    I don't think that $15 a mug is too expensive. Actually, I think it is a bargain. I'm like you on "good luck" trying to make it themselves....bet they will go through $15 a mug more in supplies and stuff and throwing it away before they figure out that you were a bargain.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tigger the Black Cat Cougar 24" - the cat with attitudeTM
    As Yet Un-named Silhouette Cameo
    Hot Stuff the Foil Master
  • BerryoneBerryone Posts: 5,350Member
    edited June 2012
    And When They Do Find Out It's a Bargin You Won't Have the Week To Do It.
    Post edited by Berryone on
    I would charge more for a RUSH RUSH job! LOL.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews

• GabeGabe Posts: 3,126Moderator
    This brings up a philosophical question. Would you rather lose a commission than cut your price to the point you make very little money? You'd make some money, just not as much as the job is really worth.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 6,139Member
    Sounds like they are a gift for the bridal party, and if they thought your costs were too high, don't fret, they sound like they are trying to cost cut...lets face it, weddings are expensive, and your costs were very reasonable. They will realize that getting things done in such a short time, you either need to pay more, or you settle for a lesser quality.

@Gabe - no I don't recommend on cutting your prices just to get the job, UNLESS you are just starting out and you say its a limited time offer, otherwise they tell someone and then someone wants a good deal too, and maybe even better than what their friends got. I truly believe if you price your products fairly and stick with it, have limited time offers when you experience slow times, but not be willing to pimp yourself for a sale, you will do better in the long run.
    I have or should I say am still learning to say no and try to stand by my pricing. It will come back to bite you if you don't, especially with friends and family.

@Gabe...right now I am going to do a job underprice but its only because I get referrals and a few big ticket jobs per year. That being said, I have 50 etched pieces with some kind of candy favor to complete & delv. by Thur. morning. Just got the request 4 days ago. Spent all day trying to find the glasses. They've been planning the party for weeks, listed me for the job, but forgot to call me. Its a PITA but in the long run.......

(and I really want my KNK$$$)

I found out that they thought I would do the etching for free cause I'm a friend of their aunt. So that would have cost me money in the materials I used and not just my time. Now if it was for a charity I wouldn't have any problem donating my time if they would cover the cost of the material. I'm tired of people thinking that just cause it's handmade it isn't worth the charge.
  • GabeGabe Posts: 3,126Moderator
    @iakstigger, I know just how you feel. There's a lady who is a friend and when I first got my Zing at Christmas time I made a few vinyl decorations which I gave her as fun little gifts. She works with an organization and when she saw what I could do with my Zing she said, "This is great! You can make stuff for me for my org." So I said, "Sure we can work out a fair price." And she said, "No, you'll do it for me for free!" Since then I have not talked to her about my Zing and when she asks why I haven't showed her anything new I just say I am working on stuff. Some people, huh?
    My philosophy....if I give something as a gift, it is free and is a gift. If I am asked to do something, it is a business transaction and a price is set. (Not that I sell anything, but just saying LOL). Unless I am doing something from my heart, like gifts or charity work, I expect to be compensated for both my materials and time. This isn't so much for crafts, but I am a CPA and although not in the business of doing taxes, I can do it. You have to be careful or everyone will want you to do their taxes for free because you are their "friend".

• PaperthreadsPaperthreads Posts: 748Member
    I don't cut my price just to get jobs, unless it's for a charity organization or something like that.

I have been taken advantage of too many times, with friends of friends or whatever, thinking I will do things for free or just for the heck of it because we are friends. Since this is my livelihood, I really can't afford to do things for free. I do try to be reasonable in my prices.

I will, however, do a job for job exchange (bartering)! So, for instance, my hairstylist is moving into a new home, and has asked me to make sayings for her walls. She is going to come up with what she wants, and I will give her a quote (based on what I normally charge)....and she will give me hair service in exchange.....I have done this for a few things over the years. Recently, I was approached by the local soccer association, they want me to cut decals for a fundraiser. I asked in return, if my sons fees could be waived....it's a win win for us! He's never played soccer before, so he will get to play and learn, and I won't have the expenses of the fees for how ever long we work out our bartering!
    www.paperthreadsblog.com
    Pre-Order the Silhouette Portrait Today!

If there are typing errors, blame it on my fat fingers on my mobile device....some days they seem fatter then others!
    edited June 2012
    Oh the horror....the stories I could tell. Even favors are biting me.I did a complete wedding, 200 invites (which were awesome), 125 programs and 150 decorated cookie favors, with tags and photo tags, only charged for purchased supplies, I used a lot of items from my inventory, a grand total of $200.00, still haven't been paid in full and got a bad check to boot.

Someone else needed cheap Christmas gifts, that she was broke and needed help. She wanted decals for 2 dozen ornaments. I said I was very busy, I would cut the decals, supplying materials at no charge but they would have to weed and apply them themselves. Her response was that this project was just too tedious and time consuming for her and her teen to do, and she just didn't understand why I couldn't just do it. She'd find something else. WOW---what an eye opener!!!
    Post edited by paupau04 on

Some people! What's bad is they really don't understand that what they did/do is not right. They are clueless.

• twiggoddesstwiggoddess Posts: 453Member
    interesting reading. I am working on frosted vinyl cuts for a wedding. have spent quite a few hours already finding a font that will work and is delicate (major time), purchasing frosted vinyl and doing a couple of samples. she wants 25 of this and 25 of that and 25 of another, all different sizes. I am not sure what to charge her but am thinking I will figure the cost of the vinyl per foot and then charge for each 12x12 sheet. does this sound reasonable? have sold lots of stuff but nothing vinyl.
    @twiggoddess don't forget all your time! And since your doing 75 piece how about the cost of a new blade and mat (if your machine uses a mat.) plus a little extra for the wear on your machine.
  • babykatbabykat Posts: 596Member
    I am currently going through a similar situation, I am in a painting group, have been for almost 5 years, on of the gals has a farm, she wanted shirts embroidered( I have a home machine) with their logo and a gerbera daisy, kept saying it at different classes. Finally hand me a piece of paper with 90 t shirts, I find a design create it in my program for embroider( need one from ANDY lol) pre dew one to show her and each week I bring in the design she finds something she wants changed but keeps saying "I'm not fussy" yeah right! So after 4 changes in design she says yes( three weeks after first giving me the paper). I email her the price and don't hear anything for a week till class when she says "i don't read my email...* ( why give it to me then (:| ) So she says what ever the price I sent is fine.... okay great! SO I say I need 90 shirts in colors she wants and she says "we'll get them next week, so I go to class and she is not there.... next week she says"did you get the shirts?" I actually did cause they were on sale + 20% off, so I says "yes" fast forward 2 weeks and I take the finished shirts to class and she is not there, go again the next week she is not there.... call her and finally get an answer on the phone... she will be here next week for sure( yesterday) go to class ( I was not painting this week) and who isn't there??? Every one in class is saying "oh she'll pay you you know that" or " should have got a deposit" well yes I SHOULD HAVE, but how would I when she is not there.... and also felt I should be able to trust her( I was wrong :( ) called her today left message & Number with granddaughter, no call back.... call again @ 9 tonight and she is "oh you don't have to bring them to me just bring them to class" ummm NOT. :-w , insist I will deliver them Friday and she finally said okay as I said I could not wait any longer. I really couldn't we are still on unemployment until DH finished his LPN classes and I had to scrape up the money for the shirts to begin with ( $250 +) which was all my upcoming show fees.... that are due. What a hassle.... people think they have the time so you must.... or they can afford it so you can too.... Lesson Learned.... everyone in class is like"she is so busy on the farm" yeah well then don't order stuff....!! and when I offer weeks ago to deliver them don't say "I'll be in class" then not show up. I know she has the money her farm is very very very successful has been for years, she comes to class with Coach purses... the real one and huge!! I have had friends ask me to embroider for free as well, or make clothes for them for free etc...... I gave that friend the tags I made from the pattern someone here graciously provided, and the rest of the class was all like oh I buy paper so you can make me some too!! I whipped around and said, "sure thing $1.50 per 20 tags" they all changed their minds..... =;

• dawnddawnd Posts: 6Member
    I was asked to etch 12 beer mugs with 4 lines of text for a wedding. One line of the text would change
    for every mug. Plus a design. They need them done in a week. Do you think $15 a mug
    is too much to charge for the etching?
    Your price is extremely reasonable, and I don't think anyone should "expect" an acquaintance or even a relative to do work like this for free! I have done this sort of engraving for quite some time and have run into this situation more times than I care to remember! When someone, (friend or relative alike), wants something like this done, I immediately answer "sure", whip out a little notebook, to write down what they want, and try to get the designs, and price fixed right away, and follow with.., "I require a 50% deposit and the rest due on delivery". At this point, they will know the price, and what the deposit is, and they can then decide if they want the work done. I am cheerful, and friendly during the negotiations, and I usually never have anyone say "oh gosh that's too much" or "I didn't realize it would cost that much"! I also explain that the cost is commensurate with supplies, setup time, wear and tear on my equipment, and my talent! If they are still "on the fence about the job" then I graciously say, "think about it for a while and feel free to get quotes elsewhere", most of the time they come back..,(I know who else in the area is doing the work), and they find out my prices are very competitive, and in most cases, cheaper than the competition.
    Never give your work away! If you want to "give your work away" then run a "special" where you will engrave a pair of champagne flutes, or stem ware for the bride and groom, (and only name and date on those) if they have you do gifts for the entire wedding party. (Like the beer mugs you mentioned). That word gets around faster than anything!
    Don't get me wrong, I have done work for free, but those were always for my immediate family as a their wedding gift or birthday gift etc. But on the same note, none of them expected it nor did they ask, I offered it if I thought they might like a personalized pair of champagne flutes for the bride and groom, or their cake knife set etc., but I have never done the entire wedding party for free.
    It amazes me that they would even expect that from you.

This discussion has been closed.