NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Another way...

Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,326Member
edited June 2012 in Tips and Tricks
to create the cut away card. I needed to make the steps as minimal as possible for a beginner class, with some portion of the files being provided (rose). Here is what I came up with, hopefully someone will find this useful. The result is a card with a rose cut away in the top right corner similar to others that have been shown on the forum.

- Draw a rectangle for the size of the finished card before folding, mine is 11 x 8.5 inches (white)
- position the object that will be used to cut away from the card, in my lesson its a rose file I snagged from a google image search, shadow was added to use to create the edge (rose), on a separate layer
- on a new layer, create a rectangle shape that is taller and wider than the card on the corner to be cut away; line the edges up with the object (the rose shadow) to make the best or most appealing cut away edge

- Boolean join the paper and the cutaway rectangle
- Weld the paper and the rose shadow
- If the rectangle is not adequate to fill in all the gaps additional rectangles could be added and welded to get a complete fill in (for simplicity I needed not to have this happen)

oops missed that leaf at the bottom :)

Separate shadows were created to cut coloured papers for the rose and leaves to be applied behind the cut away (not shown).

Thanks Nelda for the inspiration!
howto.png
694 x 551 - 136K
howto2.png
350 x 366 - 32K
Post edited by Liz_A on

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 4,642Member
    Nice job, Liz! Thanks for writing it up and sharing.
    Sandy McCauley
    Retiring from KNK USA on May 1st... Cutting with KNK's forever!
    Providing the best in KNK education & support at I Love KNK
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,326Member
    LOL Sandy, thanks!! The card was, of course, cut with a Zing!
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,156Member
    edited June 2012
    Very clever @Liz_A. I just tried it and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much. I have just been node editing around the images when I do these kinds of cards to get the right shape at the top and bottom of cards. Node editing worked but this is much quicker. Thanks again.

Edited to say: It's one of those things that you hit yourself upside the head and say "why didn't I think of that". Very clever indeed.
    Post edited by HappyCrafter on
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
    Oh absolutely, had one of those moments just the other day, when Bryan pointed out that Wrap Objects to path might be simpler than what I suggested!

Thanks for commenting Ms @HappyCrafter!
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    I thought I had tried something like this before I asked Nelda to help me out but I must not have tried or did it all wrong. Thanks for "another way."
    Missouri
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Great idea! We all think differently and come up with alternate ways to achieve the same outcome. I will have to try this as well.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • luv2scrap81luv2scrap81 Posts: 896Member
    @Liz_A, What a fabulous....and simple...idea!! I had not tried it because I was thinking it would be difficult! But even I could do it this way. Thank you for sharing.
    Mandy
    @luv2scrap81 ...thanks, I am so hoping it works that way for my newbies!! My pleasure to share.

@nelda ...you'll have to let us know how you make out, thanks!!

@KarenP ...you so welcome!
    I created a video showing how to use this method @Liz_A posted:

http://www.iloveknk.com/2012/06/designing-a-stencil-edge-card/

Sandy McCauley
    @SandyMcC - and its a great video, one both MTC and the KNK software. I love that Sandy showed several different ways to feature the stencil edge, so she has taken the idea to the next level!! Way to go, Sandy, we're on this learning curve that is so awesome!!
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    Love the tulip card. Are you going to share your file?

Great video. Gonna watch again.
    Missouri
  • GailpageGailpage Posts: 705Member
    Great Job
    Gail from Alaska
    http://www.mile42chiniak.blogspot.com

Cutting with my Black Cat Lynx
    Love the tulip card. Are you going to share your file?

Great video. Gonna watch again.
    Oh... hadn't thought about it. I'll get it added to my post so all of the readers at my site can have it.

Sandy McCauley
    edited June 2012
    Links to download the card files added to my post. : )
    Post edited by SandyMcC on
    Sandy McCauley
  • K_leeK_lee Posts: 6,411Member
    @Liz_A thanks for sharing your way too......
    @SandyMcC thanks for doing the great video, and all the variations!!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • Laura FremontLaura Fremont Posts: 176Member
    Thanks!
  • craftyladyvaleriecraftyladyvalerie Posts: 193Member
    Thanks for the video SandyMcC it was really good and very easy to follow. I also appreciate you sharing the file. Thanks very much.

Valerie
    I demo'd this technique to a class of seniors on Friday, of which some did not have much computer experience at all!! I was so delighted to see that they caught on so quickly to the concept of layers, working with the different shapes, grouping and colouring them (like kids they really had fun with that). They were wowed with all the great projects in the MTC Gallery, so keep up the great work ladies!!

I know that a couple of them now have the bug to get a cutter and MTC!! Yeah!!
This discussion has been closed.