NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

cricut expression "firmware needs to be updated" HELP please :(

theboydbunchtheboydbunch Posts: 129Member
edited April 2010 in Help for Make The Cut
I just moved my little bug AND exchanged it for my expression to make some cuts from my computer.
when I try to make the cut it says Cricut firmware needs to be updated
matt not loaded
cartridge not loaded, but it is...can anyone please help me?! :(

Comments

• CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
    what version of filmware do you have on it? If it's the E it needs to be 2.34

What windows are you running?
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/
    Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • armywfearmywfe Posts: 27Member
    mine is saying the same thing. /sigh
  • BdanyeurBdanyeur Posts: 6Member
    If you haven't figured it out yet, it requires the download of the free design studio software. That is the method Cricut's Provo handles it. You just say continue in trial mode and go into help. An option on Help is "update Cricut Firmware" Just make sure the Cricut is off (which the insructions also state) prior to starting the process. One trick I find is to have the Cricut go through the USB update the first time a USB device is used. This is prior to starting design studio. Thats when I turn the Cricut back off. I have done dozens this way without a problem.

Bill
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    theboydbunch,

try this:

(hopefully) The COMPLETE STEP-BY-STEP TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE for UPDATING FIRMWARE / DRIVERS ;-)

1) Turn off and unplug your Cricut from your computer.

2) Make sure your IE (Internet Explorer) is updated to at LEAST IE7 or higher, updating your other Windows Service Packs and making sure you have the latest drivers for all your hardware / software is always a good idea as well.

3) Restart computer to finalize those changes.

4) Uninstall your current CDS (Cricut Design Studio) whether it is a trial version or paid version.

5) Check your: Program Files > Cricut Software > Cricut Design Studio files ... and delete any that are left. [Do this by right-clicking "Start", choose "Explore", then find the file through the steps above]

6) Reboot, again, to make sure everything cleared properly.

7) Turn off ANY antivirus (AV)/ antispyware program you may have running.

8) NOW it's time to go to ProvoCraft and get the latest CDS and drivers. [As of Feb. 20, 2010 they are found here: http://www.cricut.com/CDS/DesignStudioTrial1.aspx ]

9) Download CDS, Start it, go to their "Help" tab and "Update Cricut Firmware..."

10) Reboot, yet again (I know, that gets real old, real fast) **Remember to make sure AV is OFF**

11) Plug your Cricut into your computer (use a rear USB port rather than a hub or side port)

12) Power the Cricut machine back on (make sure there is a cartridge inserted first)

13) There will be some activity on your desktop stating that drivers are being installed, click "Yes" to allow it to update drivers and so forth...

14) Follow these steps from the DS page telling you to hold down your power button until it beeps, etc...

15) Repeat Steps 9-14 AGAIN (I don't know why, but several people needed to do it at least twice, so start out that way)

16) Turn on MTC and cut

I really hope this helps out, please give it a try even if you feel you've done it all before.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• BdanyeurBdanyeur Posts: 6Member
    Not to confuse anyone, but a cartridge does not necessary have to be installed to update firmware. It works equally well either way. You only need a cartridge or bypass key when you cut or draw.

It's just important that the Windows system be able to find a cricut when it is first plugged in. This is best done prior to starting design studio. Once the windows usb drivers get installed that one time, unhook or turnoff the Cricut. Your system should make little beeps on power on or off or connection changes. If it doesn't beep when hooked up chances are design studio will not update. If it doesn't beep when the Cricut is turned on check for a bad USB cable or connection. If there is still a problem you might not have a Cricut Driver Installed. Do not confuse Drivers with Firmware. Drivers are for the PC or MAC and Firmware is the stuff built into the Cricut. Drivers help Windows identify the Cricut.

Another very important thing is when Holding the button, DON'T let off until the Cricut Beeps (Press once, do not hold down like you do with . At this point you should already be in the help screen with instructions. It didn't seem to matter if the radio buttons to select the model (Create/Expression/Personal Cutter) were updated before or after putting the Cricut in "update mode" (holding the then pressing the )Once the Cricut Beeps wait a few seconds for the USB stuff to reallocate before hitting the update button. I have had download fail when I said update without waiting a few seconds for Windows to finish. After that, "DO NOT DISTURB" the process once it starts. It'll come back with the success of fail message.
    Bill
    Bill,

Thank you for your input. It's very helpful.

Jeanette
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

• Angel135612Angel135612 Posts: 4,246Member
    I was just wondering something. There is a lot of good information on this board that gets buried as more topics are started, and as we get new people, they need that same information. Is there a way that when someone posts some step by step instructions on how to do something, that we can keep it near the top, or in a special place so new people will have a place to go look for them?

There are different ways to use this forum, and I usually don't even look at the Categories, just the discussions, to easily see what new posts have been added. I don't know if "stickying" some of the posts with the instructions would just sticky it to the top of that category, or of all discussions. But I have seen so many posts where someone is asking for help, and someone wants to help, and their reply is "it was answered in another post, let me see if I can find it, or wait until such and such is on line she knows where everything is". When you need help, you want it "NOW" and it is so hard to wait when you want to get started playing.

If there was a way we could organize all the specific instructions, then not only would the new people have a place to go find them, but those that have been here awhile will know where to send them to find the information they are looking for. And if they can't find it, then can ask more specific questions to get them started. I'm not saying that all the help that is more general in nature needs to go there, but the ones where someone took time to type it all out step by step.

If someone is new, they may not realize how everything works, and if they post a question to one category, and it bleongs in another, then someone else may not find it, or if someone asks a question in a topic with the title not having anything to do with that question, because the conversation evolved into another discussion but in the same topic, then you wouldn't even know to look under that topic for an answer.

Perhaps someone or a group of people could work on creating a PDF file with FAQs for new people, that can be sent to them, or create a category of FAQs where all this great info can be posted, but no questions asked there, so it would be easy to scroll through to find the information that is needed, with subject lines pertaining to the information. Or even have a link in the program, like the one for Tutorials, takes someone to the Tutorials page of the forum, one can take them to an FAQ page with all this great instruction being shared here. Have someone be responsible for adding new questions and answers as they are asked and answered, so that the area is up to date on problems new people are having.

Just a thought.
    Diane in Colorado Springs
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
    edited April 2010
    angel,

Good idea, not sure how to make it happen... while I did mention in another thread that I now have "Moderator" status...1) I'm not entirely sure how to use it... and 2) It seems to be somewhat limited... I can edit / move / or delete things, but I CAN'T 'sticky' things or read "whispers" between other people besides myself.

*Edited to add:
    Oh yeah, I don't think I have ANY power to moderate or do anything with the gallery, just this forum...

So, for right now the best way to keep these directions available, is to keep bumping them up when they get towards the bottom of the page.

Jeanette
    Post edited by iggylover on

Jeanette, perhaps when Ann or Andy sign on, (or if you could email them to request a new catagory) they will be able to create a new category for FAQs, and then as you have time, you could move the posts that contain the great instrustions into there. I know it would take some time to get it all done and it would probably be a work in progress for quite some time, but I think it would be very helpful for all the new users. If only moderators could post in that catagory, then there wouldn't be any extra posts to bury the information.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    angel,

On further thought.... there IS a FAQ section on the MTC web page easily accesible from the top of the forum, AND most of the people with questions would find their answers in the "Help" category if they looked for posts with "resolved" or "fixed" or similar tags at the end of the titles...

Jeanette

Jeanette,

I just checked out the FAQs, and while I'm sure they may be helpful, they aren't as detailed as some of the answers given here. I'm not trying to make more work for you by any means, but just thought if all the detailed instructions were found in one place, instead of having to scroll through lots of posts, it would make it easier for not only the new members, but the old ones to point the way to the information that was needed.

If this can't be done, then that's okay, I know it would be a lot of work, and probably not something only ONE person could do. But I thought in the long run, it would be a lot easier once it was set up, than what is happening now.

Diane
This discussion has been closed.