NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC/Cameo cannot find registration marks for my PnC

Cutter_KidCutter_Kid Posts: 82Member
edited February 2012 in Help for Make The Cut
HELP! LOL
Cameo cutter and MTC not finding registration marks. Not at all! Cameo does not move to them with MTC.

I think I did everything correct? I have printed the Cameo registration marks with my designs.
Made sure the marks are on the paper.
Put paper on the 12x12 mat
Load mat into Cameo
Click Cut with cameo
I have Cut Type set to Print and Cut
And Using carrier mat is checked.

It seems the Cameo is not feeding the mat forward sometimes ( when design is at top) or other times it just does not get near where the marks are (when designs are lower on page)

Nothing wrong with Cameo, still does PnC fine with the software it came with.

Trying to read the manual and see if I need to make a setting I missed or something. Most everything I read is about the ZING though and I don't know what is the same or not the same for a Cameo. I cannot find the control panel with dials and knobs shown in the manual so move the cutter around to calibrate, so I am guessing that is just for ZING?

Comments

• K_leeK_lee Posts: 6,423Member
    here are a few tips....make sure your black ink is not low, some just changed it out and then it read the registration marks.......mark sure you are in landscape on MTC and you line your mat up to the far left with the short mark that is there......... there are some posts about this so you can do a search for more suggestions........hope this helps.... and there is a calibrate in MTC, it's when you click to cut.......didn't use this myself but others have...
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • Cutter_KidCutter_Kid Posts: 82Member
    edited February 2012
    Not the problem.

It seems when I try to PnC the registration marks are not found because the mat does not get feed into the cameo. Kinda like it's an inch or two off.
    With mat I load and registration marks are about under the roller where the end of the sticky is at. It tries to run back and forth to look for the marks with out feeding the mat forward to put marks under the light/eye.
    The marks are in the correct place on the work area, and printed for that area also, the mat is not getting feed in to put the marks where they can be seen.

The other program is working fine and feeding mat and finding the marks.

I really need to get this figured out and I bought everything with the plan to do mostly PnC stuff like T-shirt transfers.
    Right now I am trying to do some little purse things and box designs I bought to give a little girl for her birthday party Sat.
    Not that I am cheap, I figure I'll put little things in the purses and boxes for gifts and give her another bigger present last.
    If I have to I guess I can get it done with sizzors and a knife for cutting, but not what I bought things for LOL

Funny, near $400 spent and looks like for now I will resort to $2 sizzors and $1 exacto knife LOL
    Post edited by Cutter_Kid on
    edited February 2012
    maybe bring your design down on your paper so the registration mark will be seen,you don't have them outside the cutting area do you..... you shouldn't have to but you can press test cut and it will move your mat in farther, then cancel that and see if it will cut.......never heard of this problem so just trying to think what might work.
    Post edited by K_lee on
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    edited February 2012
    Are you putting the paper on the mat so it is the same as on the screen, just asking trying to fiqure things out....... :)

do you have it set to landscape?
    Post edited by K_lee on
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    Yes paper in correct position and yes registration marks in correct place and on the mat, and work area in MTC.

I think it seems to be that using MTC the Cameo is looking for the marks about 1"-2" to high perhaps? I tried putting a design about middle of paper once and looking for Registration marks fed in the mat a good bit and looked for marks, but did not look anywhere near where the marks were.

When the marks are near the top of work area and mat, the mat does not feed. In this case perhaps it's that it's looking about 1-2" too high still and just thinks it's in the correct position already?

And have tried things like moving the paper up to high trying to geuss where MTC and Cameo are looking for the marks, still not finding them that way either, though I may just not be geussing close enough the the correct area.

I'm going to be out of town most the day today I think, leaving in a few minutes, so will have to work on this when I get back tonight.

I have figured a work around for now but not to happy about it, but will work I guess for this project.

I'll flood fill an area about 2-3" larger than my pieces with my texture and print that, then cut the parts from that area.
    Since it's just a patterned print this time that should work for now. If I am off 1/2" or so cutting it won't matter as the print will be larger than what I am off by.

So basically I guess I'll put my parts on the mat where wanted, copy and paste in place, then re-size the copy larger and texture that copy to print while hiding the parts to be cut. Then hide the oversized texture parts and show the parts to be cut and cut them.
    I think that should work for now for this project. Even if I don't get things perfectly lined up like a PnC would it should work like just cutting from a patterned card stock anyway.
    Just I'll blow out more ink than I should, and this would not work for actual designs that need PnC like pictures, T-shirts, etc.. but should work ok for the purses and boxes type things.

Probably something simple I am missing I guess, so any help to get PnC working is welcomed
    Well you have me stumped for sure, neverheard of this, maybe you should contact Silhouette America and see if maybe the optical is out of wack......or something else......sorry.....but glad you had a work around this time......
    Hopefully someone else might have some ideas!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Well you have me stumped for sure, neverheard of this, maybe you should contact Silhouette America and see if maybe the optical is out of wack......or something else......sorry.....but glad you had a work around this time......
    If it cuts fine with the SS then I doubt that it is the optical eye. It seems like it must be something in MTC. Can you do a screen shot (with the reg marks showing)? Include the entire screen, with the mat settings and the layers. Maybe we can see something that might be a problem.

In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • KimKim Posts: 2,467Member
    I finally got mine working after I moved the design to the right of the mat...as far right as you can and still get the registration marks to print. Do a print preview to check this.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tigger the Black Cat Cougar 24" - the cat with attitudeTM
    As Yet Un-named Silhouette Cameo
    Hot Stuff the Foil Master
    If it cuts fine with the SS then I doubt that it is the optical eye. It seems like it must be something in MTC. Can you do a screen shot (with the reg marks showing)? Include the entire screen, with the mat settings and the layers. Maybe we can see something that might be a problem.

OK, I seldom do a screen print to post anywhere, and then I forget how to get one.
    Any suggestions how to do one? LOL
    I don't have any real image software set up on that machine either, just the windows paint program. I was building a big system when I started riding motorcycles again and lost interest in the 3D art stuff for awhile. Never finished building the system. Mater of fact Jan. was probably first time in a year I even turned it on LOL
    Good catch Nelda, I didn't think about that in my quest to help!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    To do a print screen, with your MTC open with everything you need us to see, hit print screen on the keyboard, upper row, right side... the open paint, then open edit and paste, save as jpg, then attach to post in MTC...... :)
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • juliefesjuliefes Posts: 3,792Member
    See my tutorial on this topic at the free MTC_Tuts Yahoo group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/05_From MTC to Various Cutters/
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the file. You need to be a member of this free group in order to access the many files posted there.

You need to be in Landscape mode, and the design should be in the upper left corner of the virtual mat. There are a number of other checkpoints in the tutorial that helped me get started doing excellent print and cuts with Cameo.
    OK, I got a couple done and PnC worked good.

I think there was several problems! One is the fact some things don't make sense in how they are set up sometimes. I never stand beside my cutter to load in a sheet from the front so why would I want my mat facing left instead of front? LOL
    The arrow faces into the cutter when I stand in front and load it, and if I turn the mat upwards like seen on monitor then the arrow is UP! I don't lay on my left side to work so why would I want the arrow facing to left LOL

My printer only feeds paper in from one direction, top of page first! Why would I want to turn it sideways?

Almost everything we do like reading is from left to right and top to bottom, why would I want my image located to far right when we start at the left LOL

If I am only printing 12X12 why would I care rather or not my printer is set for 12X18 paper? It should not matter at all as the bottom 6" would just not be printed on!

Factor all the above together and somewhere in there is the answer I think!

I think somehow though my paper was being fed in as 12" wide to the printer, MTC was trying to make it 18" wide which was my length setting. I was using 12x18 paper.
    I only had work on the top 12x12 of the paper and the bottom 6" should have just been ignored but I think that was the problem or at least part of it.

I often just leave my paper settings at 12"x? and just put my work in the correct area to be printed on the size paper I actually use, even if only 8.5x11 paper. I just start at top left and don't put any work beyond the width of the paper I'm actually using.

I'll try again tomorrow sometime, before or after the party, and see if things still work using these "other" settings.

After I cut my 12x18 paper to 12x12 and set printer to 12x12 etc.. PnC worked.
    It SHOULD have worked anyway even with 12x18 paper setting but I think that was the problem that it did not.

MTC using a 12x12 mat, printer using 12x18 paper. I think that just did not work well even though the paper and marks where lined up on the mat in the correct areas. Maybe the 18 is what caused the problem MTC and Cameo was not feeding paper correct to get close to the marks?

Or who knows? Maybe shutting everything off for the day the gremlins fixed everything while I was away LOL
    Systems Resets? Self fix mode?
    lol, well glad you or the gremlins figured it out and worked for you!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • gatormomx3gatormomx3 Posts: 21Member
    I found today after struggling with this issue that I had to use the Silhouette mat when doing PnC. The Cameo could not read the registration marks if it was placed on a Cricut mat. I tried covering the numbers on the Cricut mat with the printed paper and it still would not recognize the marks...
    That is weird, I just done PNC on the blue eclips mat and it worked fine.
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    Nope, I had to chase the gremlins around the house with a broom again this morning!

I think this time I found the REAL problem!! Beware if you have more than 1 computer and different printers you use, I think.

I been doing the design work on one system and printing from my Canon printer, then I transfer the MTC files to the other system and cut from there with Cameo.
    This seems to be the problem for me! I now think.

I prefer to print with the Canon because it looks as good, uses far less ink, and the ink is really cheap that I use to refill it with.
    HOWEVER, for really good and important work I print with the Epson printer and using UV resistant Pigment inks which are a bit costly, plus the Epson drinks ink like a horse drinks water!

The Canon is on the system I make and print the files with. The Epson is on the system with the Cameo which I cut from. Canon and Epson are not set exactly the same. So I think MTC is using the Epson print settings to look for the registration marks that were printed with the Canon and not finding them.

That is the only thing I can figure out anyway.
    This morning I printed another purse for the little girls party, using the canon printer and MTC/Cameo could not find the registration marks again!
    I saw also though the file opened fine and looked correct in MTC that the GREEN paper position/size lines were showing 8.5x11 again, the last setting used on the Epson! Not the 12X12 settings I had used when I made the file!
    I never could get that set of prints to find registration marks, will be cut with knife and sizors.
    I did print a second copy from that system using the Epson printer and it worked perfectly fine! Registration marks found first try.

I'll have to do more testing to be certain that is the problem, but I am pretty sure it is now. I don't know how I'll fix the problem if that is really it, I don't want to move this Canon printer to the other system and the drivers for it don't work in Win7 64bit either when I tried before. It's an older wide format printer. I use XP on this system still so it works great on this system.
    I found today after struggling with this issue that I had to use the Silhouette mat when doing PnC. The Cameo could not read the registration marks if it was placed on a Cricut mat. I tried covering the numbers on the Cricut mat with the printed paper and it still would not recognize the marks...
    I will make sure rather Cricut mats work or not for me for PnC. I was using the Cameo clear mat this morning though, both when it did not work and when it did work.
  • bossie1bossie1 Posts: 550Member
    I use an inexpensive cannon printer for print and cut to SD, and have had not problems, other than user error. One problem I had was forgetting to open eyes on layers and when they are white colored layers on white paper it iwas difficult to figure out what the heck was going wrong. Valerie
    Yes the Canon printers are great printers. Until Dec. 2011 Canon was the only thing I would use, I never burned one out and for years I printed more in a month than many real print shops print in many months LOL
    The only reason I have ever replaced Canon printers was they fell off a desk and got broke, I wanted CD/DVD printing, hit with lighting strike and the UPS protection device failed, or I wanted other newer features like duplex printing etc..
    For awhile when I first moved here from the bigger cities, many many years ago, I was not able to buy a Canon, back before the internet was big, and I used other printers I could buy almost local. I burned out HP and Xerox printers in less than a year, HP often in just a few months!

I'll never own another HP anything if I don't absolutely have to! Their support was the worst! Maybe it's better now or maybe not? I'd burn out a printer during the warranted period of X months, but had to call tech support for $$ an hour to get the run around about try this and try that and other junk just to run up a bill they could get money from. Cost more for the tech support fees than it would cost to just buy a new printer, which is what I did for awhile, just toss an HP printer ever couple months and buy a new one as needed!

The only reason I have Epsons now is that I need special UV resistant pigment inks in one, and Dye Sublimation inks in another, and the 3rd is for a spare if one of those two breaks, LOL

My only other Epson was when they first came out with R200 that could print CD/DVD's years ago. I had already chopped up a couple $25 Lexmark printers and made my own disk printers first, but I bought the Epson R200 when it came out anyway because I thought it would be a little better and more reliable than what I had made. It was somewhat better but not allot. That was the only thing I ever used the Epson for then, printing disks. I used the Canons for everything else.
    Then I started finding Canons I could mod to print disks and put away that Epson R200 since Canons could be refiled far easier and cheaper than an Espon could at that time.

In the last 12-15 years I never bought an ink cartridge! LOL
    I refill!
    I only printed things often like 650 and 375 page manuals several times for various programs I've bought and one I had just got done printing when 2 weeks later they came out with new verson of the program with all new manual and I had to toss the 650 pages and print a new 800 page one LOL
    500 full color theater posters 8.5x11 many times, and 300-600 sheets of my own work per month for those years also.
    I'd sell maybe 2,000 pinback buttons or more per month, all of which I printed myself, only 9 to a page, and lots of test prints to get them correct the way I wanted them.
    Yep, a Canon printer is good, I know! LOL

I will make sure rather Cricut mats work or not for me for PnC. I was using the Cameo clear mat this morning though, both when it did not work and when it did work.
    OK, somewhat confirmed, have to use the clear Cameo mat to PnC.
    I just tried like 5 times to do a PnC, 4 times was on the Cri mat and registration marks never found! 1 time on the clear Cameo mat and registration was found and images cut fine out fine. Same 1 print all 5 times off the Epson printer and it only worked on the Cameo clear mat.
  • rw75rw75 Posts: 95Member
    I only use the Cameo mat and still cannot get a print and cut using MTC. If I do the print and cut in the Silhouette Studio software it is spot on perfect every time. I have given up doing a print and cut with MTC and my Cameo as I waste too much paper and ink that way. I think it is great that others can do it with MTC, I am just not one of them.
  • stampinpat05stampinpat05 Posts: 63Member
    I am having the same problem. It doesn't want to feed the paper in deep enough to read the marks. I tried advancing it manually and moving the paper as suggested above. When I advance the paper, the blade carrier moves back up to the far top edge of the mat. No matter what I have tried, it cannot read the registration marks. It is selected with carrier and SD Cameo. My ink is very dark. I am printing on white paper. I printed both to my HP and to my Epson. I print-and-cut an item for the Kristi Dailey challenge a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know why it won't work at all today. I have never tried print-n-cut with the Cameo software, so I don't know if I would have the same problem with it or not. I must say that I am becoming very disenchanted with my Cameo.
  • yowanayowana Posts: 26Member
    same here... I've been trying for ours and now i have a migraine! i can't seem to get my MTC to detect the registration marks. For my SIL SD it was ok, but now for my cameo... it's frustrating
  • cajuncajun Posts: 375Member
    I have no problems with pnc with my cameo and mtc. You have to be sure and hit cut to cameo in mtc and look how the paper needs to be put on the mat that makes a big difference most of my pnc's done in mtc your paper has to be put on the 12 inch side of your mat with the large dot registration mark at the top. But like I said hit cut to and look at the picture first before putting your paper on the mat and match it up just like it shows.
This discussion has been closed.