NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Has anyone used the jigsaw generator lately?

JinJin Posts: 1,662Member
edited January 2012 in Your Masterpieces
I have! :D

CLICK HERE for more pictures. ;;)

edit: spelling! urgh...
madebyJin.jpg
500 x 333 - 33K
Post edited by Jin on
Lettering Delights 101: What you need to know about Lettering Delights' SVG, and more.
underacherrytree.com is my blog and you can find my LD/MTC/Silhouette tutorials there or you can find me on Facebook! :-)

Comments

• GabeGabe Posts: 2,883Moderator
    Very sweet, Jin. We were just talking about the puzzle generator this morning. Curiosity makes me ask, where did you find red chipboard? Or is it something else.

Cheers,

Gabe
  • JinJin Posts: 1,662Member
    edited January 2012
    Ha! And to think that all this time I had thought that everyone had forgotten about the jigsaw generator!

I used red cardstock. I was trying to show that the jigsaw generator need not necessarily be used to make your standard jigsaw puzzle. For those who make cards, it can be incorporated into card-making as well. :)

edit: I can't spell!
    Post edited by Jin on
    Lettering Delights 101: What you need to know about Lettering Delights' SVG, and more.
    underacherrytree.com is my blog and you can find my LD/MTC/Silhouette tutorials there or you can find me on Facebook! :-)
  • agarygirlagarygirl Posts: 93Member
    Oh so cute, Jin
  • JulesJules Posts: 839Member
    Great idea Jin!
    Julie in Dorset, UK - across the pond.
  • amysangels2amysangels2 Posts: 168Member
    Too cute. I've been wanting to try that out but just can't find the right image.
  • AdonijahAdonijah Posts: 1,575Member
    Darn it Jin!! You are always one step ahead of me or I am just a really good procrastinator. I have a sketch of something similar in my notebook I was going to do for Valentine's Day.

I was wondering if the generator could be used with shapes (I have never used it and this was going to be my experiment). Of course, my idea was only four pieces and your's blows mine out of the water! Thanks for sharing!
  • Nancy_Cre8iveCutzNancy_Cre8iveCutz Posts: 1,485Member
    So cute!
    Nancy
    image   image   image
  • honeybeehoneybee Posts: 587Member
    OK so, again, at the risk of sounded stupid, what is the jigsaw generator? Is it in mtc??? and @Jin that is a beautiful card. So proffesional looking!
    edited January 2012
    @honeybee,

It depends on what version of MTC you're using. Try going to the Windows Start button (assuming you are using Windows) and clicking on All Programs. Find the Make The Cut! folder and click that. You should see the Jigsaw Puzzle Generator there if you have the correct version of MTC. (Directions may vary depending on what version of Windows you are using.)

Just did a quick search and here is the thread that talks about the introduction of the Puzzle generator.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/16199/jigsaw-puzzle-generator-beta/p1

Cheers,

Gabe
    Post edited by Gabe on
  • K_leeK_lee Posts: 6,411Member
    edited January 2012
    I used it just a week ago, made a bat picture puzzle for Bil, just used scrapbbook paper laminated it, but for so reason, my mat started to go crooked at the end of the cut, so I had to hand cut it, soooooooo some of the pieces aren't just right.......oh well.......it's pretty kewl though!

Love your card Jin!!!
    Post edited by K_lee on
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • MaxineMaxine Posts: 4,002Member
    Love the card Jin. So elegant looking .
    Im happiest when Im working
  • luv2scrap81luv2scrap81 Posts: 896Member
    Such a cute idea!! Very pretty!
    Mandy
    @Gabe thanks so much for the info. I am running the most updated version of mtc (I am one of the VERY lucky ones that had the plugin for my un named cutter before it was no longer available, so I can continue to update this AWSOME program) I will have to take a look at the other thread thanks again. :)
  • bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Posts: 594Member
    So did you generate the puzzle shape first and then use the generator, or did you generate a square puzzle and import it into MTC and cut it down? Just curious? It is adorable!
  • ruthgillis_ID2936ruthgillis_ID2936 Posts: 5,768Member
    Love it Jin!!
  • BobkatBobkat Posts: 744Member
    Good ideal executed well!
  • JulesJules Posts: 839Member
    @Jin, Had a go but I can't see how you created a puzzle other than a square/rectangle shape!?! Please let me know how you did this!!!! :-??
    Julie in Dorset, UK - across the pond.
    It's actually quite easy, Jules! :) What I did was to export a jigsaw svg and placed that over a heart shape. I deleted the square frame of the jigsaw, leaving just the jigsaw lines. Next I used the Nodes Editor to fix the lines so that the jigsaw lines fit within the heart. I also deleted some excess nodes that sat outside the heart. Once the lines look right, I join the heart and the lines together. :D
    edited January 2012
    @Jin,

I thought you just used two layers. Layer 1 = heart shape. Layer 2 = imported puzzle lines. Cut the puzzle lines, then close the eye on that layer and open the eye of the heart and cut out the shape. You could possibly put several shapes on the 1st layer and cut out additional hearts or circles, squares, etc, from one piece of paper that way. I haven't tried this, but in theory it sounds doable. You'd just have to get your spacing right so each shape would work as a puzzle and not have little pieces that would fall out after cutting. :)

edited: got my layer references mixed up. oops!
    Post edited by Gabe on
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,157Member
    Gabe, In order to keep from having those little pieces, node editing needs to be done or what you said in your last sentence above will happen. It seems if you don't you can get one side fine, but there will be little pieces on the other. LOL I do mine just a little differently than Jin did. I put the puzzle lines on top of the shape, do a join, then do node editing and deleting of nodes to get the puzzle lines to meet at the image line. The results produced are the same.

Jin your card is beautiful. Love the simplicity and elegance of it.

As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
    What HappyCrafter said. Without editing the nodes, you'll get all the little pieces.

mtc4A.jpg
    640 x 426 - 85K
    @Jin,

Ok. I'm comfortable with node editing. I'd do better if I could see it, so would you mind posting an "after" pic for comparison?

Thanks,

Gabe
    There you go:
    mtc7A.jpg
    640 x 426 - 75K
  • craftymonkeycraftymonkey Posts: 7Member
    So cute:)
    Thanks @Jin. I see you are just moving the lines a little bit here and there so the dropouts are eliminated. It changes the shape of the puzzle pieces, but there's no way around that if you're cutting out puzzles with custom shapes.

Cheers,

Gabe
  • Mary212Mary212 Posts: 1,399Member
    Would it be possible to make a square puzzle then add a heart, etc. to the square shape and do a Boolean join? Bet you would have to node edit there too. Just curious.
  • Rosie0530Rosie0530 Posts: 2,128Member
    Really Nice.
    Rosie in VA. originally from PA.
    Proverbs3:5,6
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    @Mary212,

It's a good thought, but Boolean Join only works with 2 shapes at a time. With the puzzle being several pieces, I don't think that would work well...
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• Mary212Mary212 Posts: 1,399Member
    @iggylover, Ohhh.. Thanks for reminding me. I had heard that, but just forgot.
  • SBryanWSBryanW Posts: 4,410Administrator
    Not so much the 2 shapes (although that is true, the puzzle comes in as one shape). It is more that you can't do a Boolean join on an open path (which the puzzle lines are).
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification, Bryan! :)
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

again this forum and program (and unrelated to program but kinda still related because it was done by the same great guy for the users of this program, puzzel thingy) ROCK!! I went to try the puzzel deal and was,,, well,,, lost, tried doing some searches to find out how to use it to make something so cool like Jin had done, ya still lost. So I came back to this thread to ask her and low and behold ya all had already asked, and answered and clariffied and pictures..... like I said this ROCKS! now I am off to play :) thank you :)
  • marbet04marbet04 Posts: 73Member
    Thanks Gin
    I am going to attempt the heart puzzle, I have never worked with the nodes part of MTC so it's time to learn. I am going to play.
    Thanks
    BEth
This discussion has been closed.