We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Smash Books

SewsnazzySewsnazzy Posts: 1,150Member
edited January 2012 in General
My sister just told me about these and I can't wait to get one. This is just what I need to control my clutter. Thought I might as well see if there are other pack rats that need them too. They are on sale at O My Craft,s right now, if you are interested.
Peggy

Comments

• pegbat_gmail.compegbat_gmail.com Posts: 454Member
    I have a book made from I believe it is Penny Duncan's tabbed folders. I can add as much as I want. It is kept right next to my computer. The great thing is that it can be cut with MTC in any size you want. You can use a three ring binder with it or cut your own cover and use book rings. I think I will be making a smaller one to keep in my purse because ideas come to me all the time. Great place to jot down the websites you want to look at later. Also keep a list of all the bookmarks you have and a little bio on each. I have so many bookmarks on my computer but never know who is who. So I refer to my "Crafting Book". Helps me keep organized better.
    Thanks for sharing this idea.
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • SewsnazzySewsnazzy Posts: 1,150Member
    pegbat & Nelda,
    Thank you both for your suggestions. It would be more fun to make my own. I love this forum!!!
    Peggy
  • PetraPetra Posts: 267Member
    I know quite a few ladies who have made their own books like this which were really amazing.

There have been lots if delays getting Smash Books in the UK (apparently some trademark issues as Smash is a well-known brand of instant mashed potato over here, so obviously it would be mistaken for these journals!) so my friends got fed up with the wait and made their own version.
  • Express4FunExpress4Fun Posts: 523Member
    Oh, how FUN! I've never seen one of these before, but they sure are right up my alley!! Makes me think of a cross between a daily journal and a scrapbook...how fun! Thanks for posting this and the links...
  • RainydaysunshineRainydaysunshine Posts: 1,408Member
    OH I like that idea... I really like that pen, tape combo.... Great idea.. TFS
    ~~Dawn~~

April Fools Day countdown banner

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • mortmomof2mortmomof2 Posts: 261Member
    I ordered one for me and my kids. They will be a great memory book for 2012! And it's a great price right now!
    Rebecca
    www.paperdawncreations.blogspot.com
    Crafting with Zingy and Silly (KNK Zing and Silhouette SD)
  • AnnAnn Posts: 1,834Administrator
    I got one for my cousin. She just had a baby girl. She's not a crafter or a scrapbooker, but I thought this would be a fun way for her to track some of baby's firsts :)
    Thanks for sharing!
  • WenWen Posts: 803Member
    I brought one that I'm doing, all about my life & what makes me smile, so on tough days I can flip through it and be reminded of all the good parts, I also gave one to a good friend of mine, I have been enjoying mine so far, it's an anything goes sort of jounal, no rules!!!!! have lots of fun with it
  • BoxerloonBoxerloon Posts: 257Member
    Such a great idea for all those bits and pieces we can never seem to keep track of. And what great ideas everyone has come up with on how to use it. @Wen, I like "no rules!!!!!" :)
    My new mantra...."Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate ~ Unknown"
    Susan SW Florida
    Zing! Now I have something BETTER! :)
    BaZINGga!!!!!
  • BethanyBethany Posts: 693Member
    I had to see what the fuss is all about. I love the idea, but I don't like the accessories. Maybe I'm not the right personality or the right age group. I wish I could see them in person to have a better idea. As a quilter, having a place to think out designs/edit or put in fabric swatches, would be great. Does the pen/glue actually work? And would it hold fabric in place?
  • bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Posts: 596Member
    I used to do something like this when I was a teenager, we called them scrapbooks back then, when scrapbooks were actually scraps of things and albums were for photographs. LOL.

I use my gmail account to keep all my computer bookmarks. email it to myself with an extra email, categorized by filters. I may write a book or ebook about how I do this someday.

Ex. an idea that involves an mtc file, tutorial on a blog, I either copy the tutorial into the email or just the link, and then attach the file that goes along with it. It would go to mtc.bluejeansicecreamtruck(at sign goes here)gmail.com

Any email that isn't created, such as the one described in the above paragraph by default goes to the email after the period. ex- bluejeansicecreamtruck(at sign goes here)gmail.com.

Then I organize all those by creating a filter for that specific non existing email. Each filter is listed in labels on the left column and you can color code them.

Been meaning to explain and share this trick here at the forum for quite some time.

The pluses to this.
    If your computer crashes you haven't lost your files because gmail archives them.
    You can't remember what folder you put it in. Just do a search in your email account.

Laurie
    Great idea, Laurie. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to have one gmail account just for storage.
    As for the smash books, I've been watching videos on youtube of people making their own books from scratch & some are so pretty that I don't think I'd be able to use them. What I like most about the smashbook idea is the fact that anything goes so you don't need to be fussy. My sister said the pens are available to purchase separately but I haven't checked it out yet. I think I need some sort of bind it all. Which ones do you like?
    Peggy
    When I took a quilting class, the teacher had us use index cards to organize our projects. You put the name of the quilt pattern, date you started, cut out fabric swatches, stapled them to the card, put which manufacturer the fabric came from and the yardage.

It would be cool to do the same thing in the Smash Book, if the glue pen could hold the index cards in place for good so they don't fall out.

You could use the same idea for any project, the file you used, company of paper, paper number/color, how much of each paper you needed, picture of the project, and anything else you wanted to add.

I'm just tired of bulky 3-ring binders.
  • ImaCutterImaCutter Posts: 3,224Member
    I saw the demo video on here and saw the at M's later that day if anyone is trying to locate them to see them first hand.
    http://imacuttercrafts.blogspot.com/ A BUCKEYE living in Florida **Proud owner of "Zinga" Follow Me on Pinterest
    I showed my daughter since she's into this kind of thing. Thanks to Amazon, we each have one coming. As we went through scrapbooking supplies, all these ideas came rushing through my head. I look forward to next week!
  • ElleElle Posts: 272Member
    Does anyone know where I can find the large paperclip shown in the Paper Boutique Blog without buying the cartridge?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 6,647Member
    Yes, Elle, I have tried to find those paperclips, no luck anywhere here yet...please post if they are found. I have most of the supplies as shown in the videos at Paper Boutique...plan to make two this weekend, one for my daughter to track our new gd's first year, and one for my girlfriend who is single-handedly renovating her house by herself (with the occasional help from her brother or others)...Perfect for her to store paint chips, receipts, progress made, the ups and the downs of renovating, etc., etc.
    edited January 2012
    Does anyone know where I can find the large paperclip shown in the Paper Boutique Blog without buying the cartridge?
    Is it the one with the cupcake on the top that is used as a book mark? I know LD has an svg set that has a paper clip in in, on sale right now. It should work, Pop School. I would make it out of at least 2 - 3 layers of card stock or chip board covered with card stock. I actually have found very large paper clips (made of metal) in a novetly store but that store is out of business now.

Post edited by nelda on
    Using Basic Shapes, I came up with this one. It is big enough you should be able to get a trace of it.
    This one has the circle on the top.
    Oops, circle is on the wrong end. Try this one.
  • ElleElle Posts: 272Member
    edited January 2012
    @Nelda: You are awesome! Yes, it's the cupcake one, I have that set and the idea didn't even think to use it in that way! Thank you so much, I love the idea of a smash book, going to make one for my daughter and her buddies.
    Post edited by Elle on
  • pegbat_gmail.compegbat_gmail.com Posts: 454Member
    Thank you so much Nelda - it traced in MTC beautifully (is that a word?) I can see lots of paperclips in my future! I agree - they should be layered or chipboard. Wouldn't these make a nice little teachers gift; having several in a little box, decorated and include the teacher's name.
    Thank You, Nelda,
    The paper clip is perfect for my smash book. You are so generous to all of us. Wish I could give you a hug!
    Blessings to you,
    Peggy
    Thank You, Nelda,
    The paper clip is perfect for my smash book. You are so generous to all of us. Wish I could give you a hug!
    Blessings to you,
    Hey! I did get that hug, feelin' the love, lol. :)

This was not hard to make, it would be a good subject for Bryan to cover in a Webinar if he/you would be interested on one about how to design something. It was made of circles and rectangles, and Boolean joins.
  • daffeydildaffeydil Posts: 2,909Member
    The smash books sound interesting. Haven't decided to buy one or make one.
    @nelda, thanks for the paperclip. I really needed to make a bookmark and thought this clip would be perfect.
    Don't look at my worktable. It has paint, glue, glitter, etc. on it! I will clean it someday. I will clean it someday. I will clean it someday............

paperclip.jpg
    467 x 640 - 263K
    Sharon
    Nelda, Glad you got the hug :)
    Sharon, Your paper clip looks awesome.
    Peggy
    @daffeydil, did you use card stock or did you cover chip board? It looks great, and seems to be sturdy as well.

Oh, and they are on sale right now - seems like a good price. Mine showed $6 (not $6.50) and they were eligible for the 20% off (code - 2012) and only $1.95 shipping.
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    Wow...l hope they will give a credit. My order has not shipped.
    Missouri
    edited January 2012
    @nelda, thanks for the sale info. Guess that made up my mind of whether to purchase one or make one.
    I had purchased posterboard and cut it into 12x12 pieces for a project and promptly forgot what the project was (story of my crafting life). Anyway, I used 2 thicknesses of the posterboard and then covered both sides with glittery cardstock that I had pieces left from another project. It is sturdy but I could/should have made it smaller and it would have been even sturdier.
    Thanks again for the file.
    Post edited by daffeydil on
    Sharon
    @nelda, thanks for the paperclip. I really needed to make a bookmark and thought this clip would be perfect.
    @daffeydil Do you care if I use your image on my blog as an example?

• WenWen Posts: 803Member
    What material did you use for your bookmark? It looks very sturdy, love it
    @nelda, I don't care if you use the image but I am ashamed my dirty work table (but not ashamed enough to have cleaned it yet!).
    @Wen, I used 2 thicknesses of poster board and and glittery cardstock on each side of the cardstock so it is pretty sturdy. I took my book with the bookmark to work this afternoon and a lady wants 2 of them, but with hearts on the top in place of the circle. Great idea since we are close to valentine's day....
    Sharon
  • Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,491Member
    edited January 2012
    I just cut one too! I love this file Nelda, tfs.

I used one layer of cake box cardboard, and covered both sides with vinyl before cutting. Used the deep cut blade and click holder (on 6) in my Zing, force 100 multicut 3 (could have used 4, there were a couple spots where the bottom vinyl didn't cut through.

I tend to use thin bookmarks (it's the librarian in me, I know the spine of a book doesn't like thick items in the book) :) but this one could stand to be just a tad stiffer.

edited to add: this one measures 1.5" wide by 4" tall.

Looking at it from the side, you can hardly tell it isn't yellow all the way through.

Sharon - I like the idea of a heart on the top.

I almost skipped this discussion because I am not interested in smash books. Glad I read it! :-bd
    clip.jpg
    1131 x 623 - 74K
    Post edited by Reba1 on
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
  • bluejeancreationsbluejeancreations Posts: 596Member
    I love the bookmark idea, these are cool, I can see myself making lots of these.
    @ Nelda, do you mind if I change your file to make a heart on top. I will keep your orginal file. Like the circle on top, also. Think a star would be cute too. Oh, be still my mind! I keep thinking of other shapes on top, even one with text on them.
    Sharon
    @ Nelda, do you mind if I change your file to make a heart on top. I will keep your orginal file. Like the circle on top, also. Think a star would be cute too. Oh, be still my mind! I keep thinking of other shapes on top, even one with text on them.
    Go right ahead. That is why I made one plain and one with the circle, Just take the plain one and add your shape.

Jumping ahead a holiday or two, here's one with a bunny head!

Gee, do we need to start a new discussion for our variations on Nelda's clip? We sort of hijacked the Smash Book discussion. @iggylover where is the hijack alert? :)
    svg
    svg
    Paperclip bunny bookmark.svg
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
    edited January 2012
    To get the discussion back on track.....I ordered 2 smash books this afternoon thanks to Nelda's post! Got them for 6.00 each but think they goofed on the shipping charges. Was supposed to 1.95 and my receipt says 10.95. Hope it was just a typo.

luv the bunny head clip, Reba. Speaking very quietly so I won't continue hijacking the thread.
    Post edited by daffeydil on
    Sharon
  • MaxineMaxine Posts: 4,008Member
    sharon I just ordered 2 books too and when I checked out 10.95 shipping was checked and I had to check the 1.95 I totally missed where to put in a code while checking out so I sent them an email. Hopefully they can apply the discount. Thanks Nelda for the info
    Im happiest when Im working
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    @iggylover where is the hijack alert? :)
    Here! =))
    Hijacker Google Eyes.png
    216 x 175 - 15K
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

Gee, do we need to start a new discussion for our variations on Nelda's clip? We sort of hijacked the Smash Book discussion. @iggylover where is the hijack alert? :)
    I will be making a blog post with the MTC file for this (and your variations on how to use it). Here is the diagram on how to make the paperclip. I started rectangles that were 0.5" wide so that I had an easy number to use for the width. You can vary the length and width as you desire.
    (now I will stop hi-jacking this thread. But in my defense, this is all related to the smash books and the way the blogger made her own with accessories. My apologies to Sewsnazzy if I wandered too far from the main topic.)
  • ImaCutterImaCutter Posts: 3,224Member
    @nelda, I don't care if you use the image but I am ashamed my dirty work table (but not ashamed enough to have cleaned it yet!).
    If it was clean, we would know you're not crafting enough. A messy dirty crafting space is a space that is well-loved!
    http://imacuttercrafts.blogspot.com/ A BUCKEYE living in Florida **Proud owner of "Zinga" Follow Me on Pinterest
    Reba1 and Nelda.
    I don't mind at all and it is related so please don't stop. Anyone who wants to add to anything that might be useful to the smash book theme, please share it here.
    Thank You all, the ideas are very usefull.
    Peggy
    Nelda - I love seeing the "how-to". I wish my brain could picture things like that.

Hummm - I said I wasn't interested in the smash books (I know I wouldn't use it, my baby is 27 and his baby album is empty) but I wonder if one would make a neat gift for my new DIL?
    I posted the file and your pics on my blog here http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/2012/01/free-mtc-cutting-file-paperclip-book.html if you want to check them out.
  • MaxineMaxine Posts: 4,008Member
    edited January 2012
    Nelda - I love seeing the "how-to". I wish my brain could picture things like that.

@Reba1 Me too Reba
    @Nelda Nelda you were one of the first ladies I started to learn from when I came here and Im still learning from you today...that is an AWESOME illustration of how you did the paper clip. simple and to the point . You are still the enabling queen, bring out your crown. Thanks so much for all you do!

Post edited by Maxine on
    Im happiest when Im working
  • KATHYANNKATHYANN Posts: 1,428Member
    I read about them last year before I went to AZ to visit my sick mother. I was going to be there for a while with none of my craft supplies so I took a few colored pencils (prisma) and some printed out digital stamps to color and I bought one of the large hardback spiral journals from the craft department at wal-mart to start a journaling smash book of my own. I have been having fun with it.
    Kathy - Katiedoodlesgran
  • MarjorieMarjorie Posts: 168Member
    Reba. Thanks for the bunny file.

Nelda. Thanks for your file from your blog! I appreciate you ladies sharing.
  • nubiancrafterncnubiancrafternc Posts: 212Member
    Nelda, thanks for the great files!! I cannot wait to use them:-)
This discussion has been closed.