NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Zing and blades

marrmarr Posts: 28Member
edited December 2011 in Help for Make The Cut
So I was driving myself crazy with the settings on the zing and in the end - it was the blade. BAD blade. Changed it out and it worked beautifully. SOOO - what brands/types of blades will the zing holder accommodate? I'm not opposed to ordering blades from Make-the-cut or another KNK supplier but I would like to be able to purchase something locally in a crisis.

TIA
Post edited by SBryanW on

Comments

• marrmarr Posts: 28Member
    Moved to help section. Sorry.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,218Member
    edited December 2011
    marr - I see you started a new thread under help with the same question - However, instead of creating a new thread to change the "category" from "General" to "Help" - you simply need to edit your prior post and you can change the category from one to the other.

(Sorry - no Zing so I can't answer your question regarding blades!)

I'm going to post a link back to your "help" thread asking this and hopefully an Admin will see the duplicate and realize they have a duplicate post and close this one. Thanks.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/21362/zing-blade-holder-and-blades#Item_1
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
    AH - missed that. Thank you!
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,218Member
    Sure - no problem! It is an easy thing to miss! ;)
    Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,350Member
    I have heard people having success with pretty much a whole slew of other blade holders and blades. Which blade was giving you a bad time?
  • SBryanWSBryanW Posts: 4,410Administrator
    I closed the other thread since it this thread had responses and the other didn't. I also moved this thread to the Help category.

Bryan
  • mortmomof2mortmomof2 Posts: 261Member
    If you were in the first shipment of Zings, they are replacing the red blade.

I'm using the silhouette cameo blade with mine while waiting for a replacement and it works great. It's a click holder, too, which is a plus!
    Rebecca
    www.paperdawncreations.blogspot.com
    Crafting with Zingy and Silly (KNK Zing and Silhouette SD)
  • LindaLinda Posts: 111Member

I'm using the silhouette cameo blade with mine while waiting for a replacement and it works great. It's a click holder, too, which is a plus!

So are we automatically going to receive new blades or just the ones that complain about it.

TIA Linda
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Posts: 4,646Member
    The original red capped blades were designed with a 0.75mm blade offset to match that of our blue capped 60 degree blade and our fabric blade. These are not defective blades, but rather blades that were not designed for cutting tiny closed paths nor tiny lettering (less than 1/2"). For regular cutting of most die cuts and larger lettering, the results are great!

Once it was brought to our attention that some new Zing owners were unable to achieve the detailed small cuts they were expecting, we realized that a detailed blade was needed. So, KNK USA immediately got the new, smaller offset blade ordered, manufactured, and made available within a few weeks of realizing the situation. This new blade will now be shipped with all new Zings and those who received and/or purchased the original red capped blade may elect to replace these larger offset blades, if they wish.

If you do not cut small detailed lettering or small closed paths, you may not need the replacement blade. And we've had customers email and say just that... they are cutting everything they need with their current red capped blade and do not need it to be replaced. Again these blades are not defective... just not what some customers need for their applications.

On the other hand, if you have not been able to achieve the small detail you need, then send your red capped blade or blades (if you ordered extras) back to KNK USA and they will be replaced. Make sure you include your full name and mailing address inside the envelope with the blade. The address for returning the blades is:

Accugraphic Sales, Inc
    231 Semoran Commerce Pl
    Apopka, FL 32703

Sandy McCauley
    Retiring from KNK USA on May 1st... Cutting with KNK's forever!
    Providing the best in KNK education & support at I Love KNK
  • LindaLinda Posts: 111Member
    Thank you Sandy for the response. I did have problems cutting fine detail. But I just moved on thinking that it was me and I needed to wait till I got use to the machine. Since then I have ordered the finer blade but have yet to try it but hoping I can now cut that Santa file I ordered.

I will be able to use the older blades but will mark them accordingly. Thanks for the clarifying the matter.

Linda
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 628Member

What offset are you using with the cameo blade?

Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
    AH - maybe I need to send that blade back then. I received my Zing a week or two ago. And the red blade is the offender.

Will the Zing holder accommodate blades not manufactured by Zing?
  • Tiny_CutterTiny_Cutter Posts: 328Member
    AH - maybe I need to send that blade back then. I received my Zing a week or two ago. And the red blade is the offender.

Will the Zing holder accommodate blades not manufactured by Zing?
    No. If you search there is an alternative on EBay that accepts Roland style blades. I am using it, and for the price of 4 blades I now have 3 holders and about 12 blades.
    -Mike
  • mortmomof2mortmomof2 Posts: 261Member
    With the cameo blade, I'm using an offset of .50.
    Rebecca
    www.paperdawncreations.blogspot.com
    Crafting with Zingy and Silly (KNK Zing and Silhouette SD)
  • jlwisejlwise Posts: 205Member
    Tiny Cutter, I went on the ebay page you refered to and apparently I am just not getting which one is the one you are referring to -- there are like 12 different ones! Can you please tell me which one you are talking about? I am a horder at heart and will be OBSESSED with having extra holders and blades on hand.... but I am also a cheapscate!

((sometimes I am like a little child -- you just have to point out the obvious to me !))
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    edited December 2011
    If you have been following his comments I think that he has had best results when using # 5 from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holder-Cutting-Plotter-Vinyl-Cutter-Blade-Holder-Pcut-Mimaki-Roland-Cricut-/120829436161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21fee101#ht_5777wt_1185

(I would link to his post but I can't find it now)
    Tiny Cutter, I went on the ebay page you refered to and apparently I am just not getting which one is the one you are referring to -- there are like 12 different ones! Can you please tell me which one you are talking about? I am a horder at heart and will be OBSESSED with having extra holders and blades on hand.... but I am also a cheapscate!

((sometimes I am like a little child -- you just have to point out the obvious to me !))
    Or maybe this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Aluminum-Blade-Holder-Plotter-Vinyl-Cutter-/300618298790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fe3f35a6#ht_500wt_1202

@Tiny_Cutter can you clarify??
    Post edited by nelda on
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • Tiny_CutterTiny_Cutter Posts: 328Member
    If you have been following his comments I think that he has had best results when using # 5 from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holder-Cutting-Plotter-Vinyl-Cutter-Blade-Holder-Pcut-Mimaki-Roland-Cricut-/120829436161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c21fee101#ht_5777wt_1185

@Tiny_Cutter can you clarify??
    This one ^
    -Mike
    Thank you!
  • kbear222_Michigankbear222_Michigan Posts: 175Member
    Did the blades come with the eBay ones?
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    I think he ordered them separately but usually shipping is free. Just expect 3 wks for shipping and you won't be disappointed. I think mine came in 2-3 wks
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • cbauer50cbauer50 Posts: 232Member
    #5 is identical to my KNK Maxx. I ordered 3 of them & 1 gold one and 1 pink one. The pink one I had to add a bunch of o-rings to "raise it up" but it fits otherwise (not quite as "fat" as #5). I also ordered one for my cricut cake machine. I have so many blade holders now!

I have a blade holder now for everything I cut - vinyl, chipboard, fabric, cardstock, etc. Now all I have to do is pop out the blade & put in a new one when needed.

I put a little label on each one that tells what it's for, the pressure, speed, blade offset, etc. Each has it's own little plastic case to keep it in and I have a label on the case, too.

I'm getting really organized.

I also do a print-out for each type of media I cut on with a screenshot of my settings from MTC - and include pressure, speed, # of o-rings, and any other instructions.
    Carol Bauer
    Designs Sew Fine
    http://DesignsSewFine.com
This discussion has been closed.