NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

12/9 Angel ornament MTC challenge is open

ImaCutterImaCutter Posts: 3,166Member
edited December 2011 in General
I just wanted to give a heads up. We have a cute angel ornament challenge that starts this Friday 12/ 9. It will have a link to an svg file you can use. Just size it what is proportional to your round ornament which will be the head.

No prizes involved this time, but it just might be a nice little way to say thanks to someone special.
Post edited by ImaCutter on
http://imacuttercrafts.blogspot.com/ A BUCKEYE living in Florida **Proud owner of "Zinga" Follow Me on Pinterest

Comments

• AnnAnn Posts: 1,832Administrator
    Cool! :)
  • ImaCutterImaCutter Posts: 3,166Member
    Here is the link for the challenge. The challenge starts today and will run through Dec 16
    ENJOY!!.

http://fred-she-said.blogspot.com/2010/12/paper-angels-and-svg-freebies.html SVG
    Files are already provided on her blog.
    http://imacuttercrafts.blogspot.com/ A BUCKEYE living in Florida **Proud owner of "Zinga" Follow Me on Pinterest
  • HelenHelen Posts: 1,787Member
    Hope I can get to do this pretty angel this weekend.
    Hellie0h-Central Ohio Gallery # 9914
    What Will YOU Do, With Your One And Only Life
  • AdonijahAdonijah Posts: 1,575Member
    Thanks, Trish! I guess I don't get a day off. LOL JK
    I got mine done. I picked the one that had the most detail. I was a little nervous because I could never could have cut this on my cricut without some type of tearing. Zinga cut it perfectly and the little pieces that didn't stay behind on the mat (90 % did) popped right out with ease. All the cuts were clean and crisp. Now, that's why I wanted a better cutter.

I re-sized the file so the larger 1/2 circle would span the 12 x 12 paper. I was able to cut two from one page. It seems to be just about the right size for my 1 1/4 ornaments.

I didn't embellish them any. Anything I held up to add-just seemed to look better plain. I am sure some of you with come up with some incredible embellishments for these. I just don't think that's my strength.

Can't wait to see what fancy things you all do with these.=D
    GEDC1958.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 780K
  • irishmist59irishmist59 Posts: 1,021Member
    Trish they are just so pretty, what paper is that, I love it, it's perfect for the angels. I have to pick up some of those ornaments.
    The paper is from a Recollection Christmas pack. It's heavier paper, more like cardstock.
  • Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,366Member
    Trish - those are gorgeous. I am holding out, my Zing should be here Monday according to the tracking. I know Remy could do this in vinyl, but in paper - I need Zen Z Zing. I hope I can tackle the learning curve well enough to do this challenge by the 16th.
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
  • dimahidimahi Posts: 386Member
    What did you use for your heads...those are very pretty...I made something like these years ago with wallpaper and wooden ball heads..then added curly hair to them...we made little poems for each angel...like Teacher Angel, Guardian Angel, Grandmother Angel etc. I think I need to do these again...and it will be so much quicker with my new Zing!
    Trish - those are gorgeous. I am holding out, my Zing should be here Monday according to the tracking. I know Remy could do this in vinyl, but in paper - I need Zen Z Zing. I hope I can tackle the learning curve well enough to do this challenge by the 16th.
    Reba,
    The tricky part about the Zing is learning the blade depth and cutting force needed for different mediums. I have kept a log and will even write it on the front cover of a paper pack, so I know what works. The only way to do that is by trial and error. I really like the technique Nelda uses for the Zing holder. I decided to use a click blade to know what my settings are. Different papers cut differently too.
    You'll find what works best for you.

@dimahi The ornaments can from HL. They were 1/2 off. They are plastic with glitter. Cute idea on the poems! FYI- The file cuts a little slow; it goes back and for taking a lot of extra movements. I didn't use the brand new plugin though so maybe that part will be resolved.
    Can't wait to see what you guys do with your Zings. I know I was happy with the cleanness of the detail cuts.
  • MichelleMyBelleMichelleMyBelle Posts: 4,348Member
    Trish, they turned out great. I also love the paper. I need to get mine done!
    The "BUG" has been Devoured by my new Black Cat!!!! Woohoo 6/3/2012
    Blog: http://www.michellemybellecreations.com/
    Design Team Leader For:: http://www.scrappydew.com/
    Affiliate For: image

• KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    edited December 2011
    I have never made these before. How do you assemble them?

Nevermind, I found the video. Thanks
    Post edited by KarenP on
    Missouri
    I put my angel on my tree for my mommy who passed away late Oct 2011. It is glittery paper which is hard to cut so some of my cuts are not as clean as they should be. My paper was white on the back so I had to decide what to do with the wings. I added stickles to the wings. She has one of my Grandma's buttons that mom gave me on her skirt in the middle of the snowflake. I put a bell under the skirt so she can make some noise when she wants to. Her wings are on with a button too so she can take them off when she wants be a little onery.
    angel.jpg
    2560 x 1920 - 1M
    Missouri
    Karen, what a beautiful way to make the ornament so meaningful. She spans three generations- your grandmother, your mother, and you since she was made with your hands. This is so touching!!!! You gave me one of those deep smiles which come start in our hearts. :x
  • lindaflindaf Posts: 732Member
    Karen, how wonderfully sweet!
    In West Lafayette, IN, cutting mainly with Silhouette SD and sometimes C****t E
  • HelenHelen Posts: 1,787Member
    edited December 2011
    If anyone is having a hard time finding the video of putting these lovely angels together, here it is. Added note, the first 7 minutes is the stone age of cutting lol.
    Post edited by Helen on
    Hellie0h-Central Ohio Gallery # 9914
    What Will YOU Do, With Your One And Only Life
    Karen, I'm so sorry about your Mom, the ornament is beautiful and will be a wonderful keepsake.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,291Member
    Love the angels, very pretty, thanks for showing them and the template and technique!!
  • BoxerloonBoxerloon Posts: 257Member
    edited December 2011
    I truly want to cut these Angels, but I have issues downloading cut files. I am new to this downloading stuf....Even though I download the file as an SVG it tries to open in Adobe which gives me an error message saying it can't be opened.

Can any one give me a quick lesson on the downloading thing?

Thanks!
    Susan

Nevermind! I figured it out! I hope I remember how I did it the next time! :)
    Post edited by Boxerloon on
    My new mantra...."Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate ~ Unknown"
    Susan SW Florida
    Zing! Now I have something BETTER! :)
    BaZINGga!!!!!
  • PaperGrandmaPaperGrandma Posts: 261Member
    Trish and Karen,
    Your angels are beautiful. I hope to get a chance to make a few this week.
  • FranGranFranGran Posts: 56Member
    Trish,
    First I want to thank you for the files, I LOVE THEM!!!! I just got my first one finished and am attaching a phote. I'm planning to do several more. I can see all kinds of possiblilities with these.
    Fran in VA
    Fran's angel.jpg
    1374 x 1725 - 282K
  • K_leeK_lee Posts: 6,411Member
    These are just beautiful, don't have any small bulbs at this time, see if I can find some..
    Great job Ladies, I love em!!!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    Trish,
    First I want to thank you for the files, I LOVE THEM!!!! I just got my first one finished and am attaching a phote. I'm planning to do several more. I can see all kinds of possiblilities with these.
    Fran in VA
    Frangran,
    I plan to do more too. They went together quickly. MichelleMyBelle found this project. Plus the site offered free files so that made it pretty easy, so I 'm not sure I can take much credit for any of it. I love how you colors all match up. It looks really sophisticated. I am so glad you like them. It's such a sweet ornament, I agree!

I truly want to cut these Angels, but I have issues downloading cut files. I am new to this downloading stuf....Even though I download the file as an SVG it tries to open in Adobe which gives me an error message saying it can't be opened.

Can any one give me a quick lesson on the downloading thing?

Thanks!
    Susan

Nevermind! I figured it out! I hope I remember how I did it the next time! :)
    I almost didn't do this. I think some of the download sites are deliberately confusing and sometimes dangerous. I think there would be a lot better turnout if they could place the file here or differently. It is beautiful and would like to see more participate.

Missouri
  • KayHKayH Posts: 287Member
    My sister does a devotion each year for several groups and I make a 'something' to go along with it. This Christmas the theme was angels and did 200 of these angels. Wow..yep. 200!! I think I'll pass on the challenge. :)
    PS..I used wood balls for the heads.
    Kay, did you use your cutter? I'd love to see a picture!
  • KayHKayH Posts: 287Member
    I did all the angels with the original Silhouette. Sorry, I didn't take a picture. I should have, tho. Next year, I think I'll just make a card! LOL
    edited December 2011
    Here's my luminary angel.

Post edited by irishmist59 on
    FranGran, very pretty, love the glittery paper you used.
  • Cynthia BarberCynthia Barber Posts: 218Member
    Here's mine. Added some pink stickles to the points of the skirt and some on the wings. Also added some pearls to the front of the skirt.
    angel ornament 003.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • Cynthia BarberCynthia Barber Posts: 218Member
    Ok irishmist59 how did you make yours a luminary? Inquiring minds want to know...lol well at least I do. Love all the angels!!
    Cynthia, beautiful love the paper you used, I need to find some pretty Christmas paper and try one like that. For the luminary I just cut a hole in the back with a circle punch so the candle can fit in and I created a circle with tabs for the bottom of the angel and just glued the tabs to the side of it.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,291Member
    Ladies, love your angels, beautiful!! I'd have a tough time picking a favourite!!
    I love all of these angels. You just can't go wrong with this project. It always amazes me all the different ideas.
    Missouri
  • knkloverknklover Posts: 878Member
    I love all the angels. Nice work
    Brigit, I am assuming you are using a battery operated light, right? I love how you cut out the shapes in the skirt for the light to go through> So clever!!

Cynthia, stickles and pearls a great idea too!

Love them!
    Thanks Trish, yes it's a battery candle and the shapes come from one of svgcuts collections Robin's Return, it's lace paper I love it, it's great for luminaries.
  • RainydaysunshineRainydaysunshine Posts: 1,408Member
    Everyones are so beautiful!!! Ok, so here is my entry. Shes kind of plain, I really didnt have the right colors of paper... But she was easy to make...
    IMG_20111215_083255.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 509K
    ~~Dawn~~

April Fools Day countdown banner

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • JustlauryJustlaury Posts: 484Member
    Here is mine. I would like to do some more if I have time! A few changes I would like to make and a few additions but..... I am running out of time. My GD (20 month) is coming is 4 days and I have to baby proof rooms that have not been baby proof in 18 years.........
    Gotta run
    Laury
    angelchallenge_lmv.jpg
    450 x 464 - 38K
    I love what everyone has been doing! The idea of the tealight - wow. I did not think to use patterned paper - those came out awesome. I also like the ribbon at the neck.
    L
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Even though I did not participate, I have enjoyed the postings as well! TSM for this challenge.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • ruthgillis_ID2936ruthgillis_ID2936 Posts: 5,768Member
    These are all stunning - will be stealing some of your ideas!! Great work!! :)
    Laury and Dawn, I think these little angels are just so versatile. I know my daughter put one on her little one foot tree. Thanks for posting yours.They are both beautiful! I think the design and shape are simple, yet elegant.
  • BoxerloonBoxerloon Posts: 257Member
    Here is my first attempt at paper cutting and then my take on the angels cutting vinyl for etching.

I did the luminary idea for the paper too, but not nearly as elegantly as Irishmist. I had to search for the vellum paper. Out of all the hundreds of paper selections at Michael's there was no vellum, I finally found some at JoAnn's. I did cut the other tow desings too. However I forgot to change my blade and pressure settings from my usual vinyl cutting and it took me 3 tries to get it right. Aren't those little battery tea lights great!

The glass etched designs are done on the 6" vases like the one Andy did his monogram work on. Cutting vinyl for etching glass is still my first love, but I am looking forward to a few more paper projects.

Thanks for the patterns and the challenge. Merry Christmas to you all.
    angel luminary.JPG
    3000 x 4000 - 2M
    angel votive 2.JPG
    3000 x 4000 - 3M
    angle votive.JPG
    3000 x 4000 - 3M
    My new mantra...."Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate ~ Unknown"
    Susan SW Florida
    Zing! Now I have something BETTER! :)
    BaZINGga!!!!!
  • sandyhsandyh Posts: 571Member
    All the angels are beautiful. I have been away for a week so wasn't able to participate. Congratulations to all that took part in the challenge.

Sandy
    Cutting with Zing and Cameo
    http://sandysartspace.blogspot.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!!
    OK, last minute Larry here with my angel. :) I changed the wings to the ones Bee made and I used her "holly me baby" file too for the decoration on front. Sorry about the washed out flash. My phone doesn't do that great in low light situations.
    2011-12-16_19-23-16_577.jpg
    3264 x 1840 - 881K
    @adonijah
    did you fill the clear ornament with Epson Salt? Something is in there. So pretty!

Actually they were some ugly, shiny colored ornaments I used to fill a hurricane glass every year. I had some Epsom salt left over from my Mason jar project and just rolled them in the salt after I Mod Podged them. This one was silver.
    awesome!
This discussion has been closed.