NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Blades in the Silhouette Cameo

barbiegbarbieg Posts: 13Member
edited November 2011 in General
Have the people who have bought this had any trouble cutting? I have read on another forum that a few people are having problems. As I have ordered this because I couldn`t wait for the zing being available in the UK I am a bit worried.

Comments

• elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,035Member
    I have the Cameo with the new ratchet blade and I haven't had problems. A second (spare) blade of this type that I tested also works very well. The cutter itself is performing great and I've been pleasantly surprised by the materials I've been able to cut. So far it has cut the same type materials that I can cut with my Gazelle.

I have talked with a few folks who have had problems with the blade, though, and it seems that there have been some defective blades shipped with the machines. I was fortunate to get a "good" blade with mine - along with the spare blades that I ordered.

I've also been using the click holder for Roland/generic blades (from thatscrapinc.com) and my Cameo cuts very well with that, too.
    In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    @elliott37, does the Cameo use the same type of blade as the SD but just with a different holder? TIA!
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • PaperthreadsPaperthreads Posts: 748Member
    The Silhouette machines have ALL switched to this new blade, which is a whole bladeholder with the blade in it. when you replace, you replace the whole unit (at the same cost as their old replacement blades)

The have discontinued the other blade style and replacement pin style. Though, there are other sources for that replacement pin style for those that prefer to stick with their 3-cap system.
    www.paperthreadsblog.com
    Pre-Order the Silhouette Portrait Today!

If there are typing errors, blame it on my fat fingers on my mobile device....some days they seem fatter then others!
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,035Member
    @elliott37, does the Cameo use the same type of blade as the SD but just with a different holder? TIA!
    Everything that fit the Sil SD fits the Cameo. They're discontinuing the blade holder with the caps and replacing it with the new ratchet blade. Both blade types will fit the Cameo & Sil SD. The ratchet blade assembly doesn't have a replacement blade pin like the capped assembly. The new blade assembly costs the same as the replacement blade pin for the old (3 cap) assembly, though.

The click holder for the Sil SD fits the Cameo. I wasn't sure if you meant the Sil/Cameo blades or the click holder. I've used everything on the Cameo that I used on the Sil SD.

The new blade assembly seems to do a much better job than the "3 cap assembly." The only problem I see with it so far (aside from the apparent bad batch of blades that some people have received) is that it's difficult to clean out tiny bits of paper/vinyl.

In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
  • Amy_ChomasAmy_Chomas Posts: 1,301Member
    I have the Cameo and have had no problems with the blade in it. I think as with everything, somethings are going to have problems!
    The ratchet blade assembly doesn't have a replacement blade pin like the capped assembly. The new blade assembly costs the same as the replacement blade pin for the old (3 cap) assembly, though.
    I am asking about the original SD holder and the new holder. So the new blade holder (ratchet holder) does not have a replacement blade, you have to replace the whole assembly (blade and holder) every time? At a cost of $35 (instead of $12 for just the blade)? Or is it $12 for the whole thing?

• stenojjstenojj Posts: 340Member
    I just ordered the new ratchet blade from Silhouette America. It was $12.99 with 95 cents shipping. Works great on my Silhouette SD (I don't have a Cameo as I ordered a Zing). If you go to my blog, I posted a few butterflies I cut out with the new blade. I've never been able to cut AC textured cardstock before until now. Once the blade goes bad, you replace it with a whole new unit.

JJ
    http://jjscraftcorner.blogspot.com/
    JJ

Follow Me on Pinterest

I just ordered the new ratchet blade from Silhouette America. It was $12.99 with 95 cents shipping. Works great on my Silhouette SD (I don't have a Cameo as I ordered a Zing). If you go to my blog, I posted a few butterflies I cut out with the new blade. I've never been able to cut AC textured cardstock before until now. Once the blade goes bad, you replace it with a whole new unit.

JJ
    http://jjscraftcorner.blogspot.com/
    Thanks so much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Now to wait for another 25% off sale at Silhouette....But shipping is not bad, so that helps.

• ejean100ejean100 Posts: 58Member
    I read on the UKScrappers forum that, although the new Cameo blade will fit into the SilhouetteSD (and I assume any of the other cutters using the same blade setup, eg Wishblade and Craftrobo), it might burn out the motor on the older cutters if you actually use the higher settings. It was said that the 1, 2 & 3 settings correspond to the blue, yellow and pink caps. The explanation was that, although you can use the higher settings with the older cutters (not talking Cameo here) and some have reported being able to cut through thicker media, the SD was not designed to cut the heavier stuff and it would eventually burn out the motor.

I don't know if this is factual or not, though it does have a ring of logic to it. If, in fact, it is true, it makes me wonder about SilhouetteAmerica replacing the older style blade for the newer one for the SilhouetteSD. It's been said that the older style will be discontinued. Would SilhouetteAmerica actually force you to use a blade style that, if used normally, might burn out the product you are using it in?

I don't see anything on the SilhouetteAmerica site stating that using the new blade in a SD could cause damage to your cutter if used above the 1, 2 or 3 setting. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I have been watching the posts about all the new cutters, trying to decide if I want to get a new one. I thought I might try out the new-style blade in my Wishblade to start with.

Elaine
    Charlestown, IN, USA
    Elaine
    Charlestown, IN, USA
    Gazelle, Cameo, Pink Wishblade
    Are those comments in the UKScrappers actually from a Graphtec representative?

I wouldn't think this to be necessarily true. There have been other blades available for these machines for years now, that allow a deeper cut. You are still limited by the pressure of the machine itself, but the blade can allow a better cut on some papers, like Bazzill, and have been used with those older model machines for years, with no reported machine burn outs caused by the blades.
    www.paperthreadsblog.com

If there are typing errors, blame it on my fat fingers on my mobile device....some days they seem fatter then others!
  • ejean100ejean100 Posts: 58Member
    Well, I'm passing on second-hand information, so please keep in mind this is only hearsay. But, this was addressed on the Yahoo Wishblade group and it was reported to have come from a 'Brian' who works for GraphtecUK. I was told that the UKScrappers forum is sponsored by GraphtecUK and they check in and participate in the discussions.

Elaine
    Charlestown, IN, USA
    Elaine
    Charlestown, IN, USA
    Gazelle, Cameo, Pink Wishblade
    The Craft Robo section of their forum is sponsored by GraphtecUK, which is why I asked if it came from them directly :)

My guess is they are trying to caution people to not try to cut chipboard or other heavier materials that those machines weren't meant to handle.
    www.paperthreadsblog.com

• linamariadelgadolinamariadelgado Posts: 1Member
    I need someone to tell me which number in the blade should I use with different types of paper, cardstock and patterned paper
  • DaveBDaveB Posts: 340Member
    @linamariadelgado:
    I use 3 on paper, 4-5 on cardstock, and 6 on Bazzil.

Your mileage may vary depending on how new/old your blade is.

The free edition of Silhouette Studio has some guidelines built into the software, so you may want to start there.
    Take your job seriously, take yourself lightly.
    Life's just too precious to be miserable.
This discussion has been closed.