NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Silhouette Cameo

bratty929bratty929 Posts: 1Member
edited October 2011 in General
Hi, I am interested in purchasing the Silhouette Cameo, which is the latest Silhouette cutter with a 12" cutting mat. Will MTC work with the Silhouette Cameo? Thanks!

Comments

• neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    We don't think so, the one person who has it and uses MTC as well could not get it to work with MTC. She noted this here: http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/19384/new-silhouette-cameo/p1

If you do a search on "cameo" here on the forum, you will see that this has been discussed multiple times.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • K_leeK_lee Posts: 6,411Member
    but if Andy can get his hands on one, who know's, I wouldn't rule it out, just have to wait for confirmation for sure........
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,006Member
    I hope it will work at some time. Mine got here today and it's a sweet cutter. I could never cut Worldwin Doublemates cardstock with the Sil SD - even with max blade extension (click holder), max pressure, and multiple cuts. That's the first thing I tried on the Cameo and it made complete, clean cuts - with less blade extension & less pressure and only one pass. Did a great P&C on 12x12 paper, too :).
    In NC cutting with a Cameo & 18" BC Cougar
  • dek1dek1 Posts: 212Member
    That is fantastic to hear! I'm glad it got to your house finally. Yippee!!!
    In NC, cutting with an E, a Silhouette, and now a Gazelle, all thanks to my very amazing sister!
  • Rhoda JayneRhoda Jayne Posts: 1,624Member
    mine will be here next wednesday. the report is that it does cut cereal board and that's good for me!
  • ruthgillis_ID2936ruthgillis_ID2936 Posts: 5,768Member
    I think Amy Chomas has one now too - saw on her FB page.... she is hoping Andy will be able to get it to work with MTC too
  • DaniaDania Posts: 65Member
    Have we any confirmation yet? I just got my Cameo and really would love to order MTC>
  • luv2scrap81luv2scrap81 Posts: 895Member
    I hope it will work at some time. Mine got here today and it's a sweet cutter. I could never cut Worldwin Doublemates cardstock with the Sil SD - even with max blade extension (click holder), max pressure, and multiple cuts. That's the first thing I tried on the Cameo and it made complete, clean cuts - with less blade extension & less pressure and only one pass. Did a great P&C on 12x12 paper, too :).
    Did you try using MTC? Or did you use Sil Studio?

Mandy
  • juliefesjuliefes Posts: 3,366Member
    Those of you who have purchased the Cameo, have you first set it up to cut with Silhouette Studio, then tried using the silhouette SD plugin with MTC? Another thing to try is to Print wireframe, and selecting the Cameo as the printer? Please let us know if these ideas work or not.
    Julie, craftymusician@comcast.net
    Free MTC Tutorials: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/
    Free PCS Tutorials: pcs_tuts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Try Demo of Popup Card Studio: http://tinyurl.com/PCSDemo-FES
    Purchase Popup Card Studio: http://tinyurl.com/PCS-Fes
    Purchase Make The Cut: tinyurl.com/Purchase-MTC
    Purchase Pazzles: http://tinyurl.com/Pazzles-JF
    Those of you who have purchased the Cameo, have you first set it up to cut with Silhouette Studio, then tried using the silhouette SD plugin with MTC? Another thing to try is to Print wireframe, and selecting the Cameo as the printer? Please let us know if these ideas work or not.
    Julie - I'll try that out this afternoon. I haven't yet tried cutting with MTC. Aside from the first test cuts & 2 big P&Cs on Friday I haven't even gotten to turn the Cameo back on (had to work yesterday & busy afterward). I figured selecting 'cut with Silhouette' can't hurt anything if it doesn't work. I'll try printing wireframe, too. I'll have this evening and all day tomorrow to play & experiment :).
  • agcsmomagcsmom Posts: 207Member
    thank you elliot37! i know many of us are hoping it works wit MTC!
    Just now tried the Cameo with MTC - a no go. "Cut with Silhouette" - not connected. I tried printing wireframe, but the Cameo wasn't listed as a printing device. I tried with the driver for the Sil, but that didn't work. It is listed as "other/USB printer support" but I'm not sure how to direct printing to a device that's not listed with printers.

I did find that Cricut & Gazelle mats can be used. Too, I cut a star & an oval from a dismantled cereal box - good, clean cuts with one pass.

I tried shrink plastic and had to do a double cut, but I have to do that with the Gazelle, too, so I'm not disappointed by that.

I was using a click holder and a Roland/Generic blade for those cuts.

I hope Andy gets hold of a Cameo - it'd be great to see a plug-in!
    Thanks Elliott37 for trying.........yep hope Andy gets ahold of one........did you direct order your's? I won one and still waiting to get it, they said November,guess I'll call them Monday...... :) and see what's up!!!!!!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
  • luv2scrap81luv2scrap81 Posts: 895Member
    @Elliott37,
    Thanks so much for the feedback! We've all been wondering (although fairly certain that it wasn't going to work based on early feedback). Now we know for sure.
    Mandy
  • nonnasscrapsnonnasscraps Posts: 381Member
    FYI: I sent Fun Foam to Silhouette America and they attempted a cut. No luck at all. I was bummed.
    JeannieH in NC
    Sorting scraps in a blended family of cutters and loving my ZaraZing the most!
    Find my stories at www.nonnasscraps.blogspot.com
    Check out LetteringDelights--this link will tell them I sent you!
  • Amy_ChomasAmy_Chomas Posts: 1,300Member
    I also tried MTC with the Cameo with no luck at all! Keeping my fingers crossed Andy gets his hands on one soon!!!
    I do have some samples of what I did with the Cameo on my blog though! http://amychomas.blogspot.com/
    Amy, your 12x12 backgrounds are awesome!
    Thanks! That was the one thing I was missing with the Silhouette, I NEEDED bigger lol!
  • deseretdesignsdeseretdesigns Posts: 60Member
    I have used the new Cameo quite a bit lately. Even though I can't cut directly from MTC, I still do my design work in the MTC program, save my design as a png file and then open it in the Silhouette Studio program. It just takes a second to do this. I can do what I need to with my designs so quickly in MTC, plus there are design options in MTC I don't have with the SIlhouette Studio. I too hope that we will be able to cut directly from MTC.
  • debzdebz Posts: 3,304Member
    I have used the new Cameo quite a bit lately. Even though I can't cut directly from MTC, I still do my design work in the MTC program, save my design as a png file and then open it in the Silhouette Studio program. It just takes a second to do this. I can do what I need to with my designs so quickly in MTC, plus there are design options in MTC I don't have with the SIlhouette Studio. I too hope that we will be able to cut directly from MTC.
    That's right! It sure came in handy that Andy (heh heh, I rhymed) added the high resolution .png export to MTC. While it's annoying, at least it makes it workable. Glad you are enjoying your Cam. Does it cut thicker materials than the Sil?
    Deb
    http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/
    Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing
    Team KNK Designer
  • deseretdesignsdeseretdesigns Posts: 60Member
    I am not sure what all the Cameo will cut. I only cut gum paste and icing sheets.
  • GardendogGardendog Posts: 270Member
    How do you save as png? When I try to save a design in MTC, the only option I have is MTC. I have the new update 4.04
    You export it and then you can select PNG as an export option.
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    To explain further, export as "raster" graphic and then choose "PNG".

I thought the new Cameo would import SVG? That would be a better export option if it will import.

Missouri
    Thanks KarenP! :)

To explain further, export as "raster" graphic and then choose "PNG".

I thought the new Cameo would import SVG? That would be a better export option if it will import.

You have to buy their Designer Software to use the SVG function . I think it is around $50.

Is there a tutorial on this (exporting as PNG)? I'm a visual learner and I don't own MTC. I purchased the Cameo thinking that it would work with it since the SD did. I don't want to have to buy the Designer Software without a trial.
    edited October 2011
    Highlight your image, or select all, go to file, down to export, down to sel. to raster, a new box pops up, at the top right make sure png is selected, click save to file, another new box pops up, name it and save it to where you want your pngs to be :) click on picture it will go bigger......
    export to png.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 268K
    Post edited by K_lee on
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    whoops just saw you don't own MTC.......great investment for sure!!!!!!!
    K_lee's Krafting Niche'
    You can still d/l and try it out - just not make any cuts.. so you can see if you want to purchase - if you are like the rest of us - you will fall in love with it and buy it ASAP! :) Good luck!
    Thank you!
    The trial version was 3.something and then I found the upgrade to 4. It was 4 that caught my interest.
    I downloaded the trial last night. Very user friendly and looked at some tutorials. Is there a basic tutorial for example explaining all the menus and icons?
  • BerryoneBerryone Posts: 4,861Member
    edited October 2011
    Post edited by Berryone on
    FYI: I sent Fun Foam to Silhouette America and they attempted a cut. No luck at all. I was bummed.
    What type of fun foam did you send in? One of the members of the Sil Plus group was able to cut shrink plastic & fun foam. Her brand of fun foam was from the Dollar tree.
  • juliefesjuliefes Posts: 3,366Member
    There is a reference document in the Files section of MTC_Tuts Yahoo group that shows all of the icons, a brief description of their functions, and shortcuts.
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MKqpTkzsvCnfhIzKC8jFAFbGKxGcMqpAnRtSuxzKVVnNOkmkXw9XCOrUXhsB8dIkVcu6nzgEU1ywxW_bImsgVg/01_Introductory_Lessons/I.03_MTC_04_Toolbars.pdf

You need to be a member of the free group in order to access the files. If the above link doesn't work due to its length, try this one
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/01_Introductory_Lessons/
    and select the file called I.03_MTC_04_Toolbars.pdf
    Julie, craftymusician@comcast.net
    Free MTC Tutorials: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/
    Free PCS Tutorials: pcs_tuts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Try Demo of Popup Card Studio: http://tinyurl.com/PCSDemo-FES
    Purchase Popup Card Studio: http://tinyurl.com/PCS-Fes
    Purchase Make The Cut: tinyurl.com/Purchase-MTC
    Purchase Pazzles: http://tinyurl.com/Pazzles-JF
    Stupid me! I found them and I knew he had done this. I was on the Scrappydew design team. It was Rob that got me thinking about MTC.
    Thank you everyone - I purchased the program, seen some tutorials. I'll export as a PNG and cut on my SIL. Hope to try it out tonight.
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    I downloaded the trial last night. Very user friendly and looked at some tutorials. Is there a basic tutorial for example explaining all the menus and icons?
    You may like this list of the shortcut keys that SandyMcC made:
    http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/19173/updated-shortcut-key-list/pg1

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

Oh goodie! Thank you. I need to get my Iggys up there to. I just realized I have no picture. lol.
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    Awww! How precious! :X

Your little iggy doesn't look as camera shy as my Niko... he sees the camera pointed at him and starts to slink away... :))
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• bbonkobbonko Posts: 908Member
    Poor Niko....I know how he feels!
    Brenda B
    Longview, WA
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 628Member
    edited October 2011
    Did you see Jins review of the Cameo on her blog? Pretty impressive!
    Post edited by sandyj on
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
    lol! My son did a wonderful job of getting Belle's picture. I wish I could find a picture of my two Iggys together. They are sweet dogs.
    YES Sandy I did! The machine does cut beautifully. I finally used mine last night. Now I'm just learning the MTC program. It's going to be a fun weekend. Jin mentioned that she got her Cameo to work with MTC. I'm waiting for her post on that.
  • barbiegbarbieg Posts: 13Member
    There is a you tube video on how to use the cameo with make the cut from underacherrytree.com. It looks so easy and I am thrilled I will still be able to use this wonderful program. It basically shows you how to add it as a printer and it cut with no trouble at all.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Posts: 6,186Member
    See Jin's blog for her reviews of the Cameo and how she got it to work with MTC if you can't watch or don't like to watch Youtube Videos. Rhoda Jayne provided link to her blog above.

Go Vols!
    image Visit my Blog: http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com/
    Cutting with 18" Cougar, Silhouette SD & Cameo and yes, I still have one of those "other" machines too!
  • sandyjsandyj Posts: 628Member
    Watched Jins video and all I can say is WOW! If it handled heavier material, it would be an excellent option for those who can't afford a zing. It's just too bad it has pressure limitations.
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary.
    Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • ErikaErika Posts: 2Member
    hello I'm from Spain, do not speak English, so does my google translator.
    Here in Spain there is no shop that sells cameo silhouette and I love this machine, I want to have with me. so I just bought the Internet to the U.S., but my question is:
    When you buy this machine is the power cord to the European system?
    because here the electric current is 220w

I also want to ask if this machine is as good as they say?
    thank you very much!
    if you can answer my email arteslaura@hotmail.es
    I thank you!
This discussion has been closed.