NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

651 Vinyl cuts not sticking to backing

ClaudineClaudine Posts: 113Member
edited September 2011 in Help for Make The Cut
Please bear with me as I try to explain my issue. I am trying to use Oracle 651 vinyl to make tumblers. I have a silhoutte SD. I am using the blue cap with a force of 3 speed I think is 8. When I cut letters for a saying and try to weed when I peel it back all the letters stay stuck in the vinyl sheet they don't stay on the backing. If push on the letters are cut and will come off but they are not sticking to the backing. I have tried different settings. I'm wasting vinyl. I like the indoor vinyl seems easier to work with. I only got the outdoor because I'm selling the tumblers and I was afraid the designs are going to peel off. Even though the one I made for myself seems to be doing ok. I bought the vinyl from Nick at craft vinyl. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DukeFanDukeFan Posts: 1,599Member
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Vinyl sheet? Do you mean the application tape? The vinyl is supposed to stay stuck to the application tape until it is applied to your new surface. You then burnish it down to the new surface and peel off the application tape.

Are you weeding out the unneeded vinyl? You should weed out all the extra material first, place on the application tape, and then it should lift the vinyl off the backing so that you can place it on your wall (or other surface -edited to find a vid on just weeding).
    Post edited by nelda on
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    I think you need more force. If my blade is brand new I can cut with that low of pressure but then I have to bump it up as blade wears. My vinyl would weed like yours but harder than it needed to be. And I always cut slower unless very simple design. Basically reverse your settings and try it.
    Missouri
    Maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

Is the vinyl cut through completely or not? If not, then KarenP's suggestion is right on.

Are you weeding the vinyl before you place on the application tape? If not, then the video above should help.

If it is another problem, then come back with more information.
  • ClaudineClaudine Posts: 113Member
    edited September 2011
    Duke Fan- It's a New Blade, I thought that too.
    Nelda-Vinyl Sheet, not application tape. I know it should but it does not. I pull all the excess off first then weed just like in video, when I pull the excess off that's when my letters come up with it. Hope that is clear.
    Karen- I will try more force even though it's a new blade. Something strange is going on. I never had a problem with the Matt Vinyl. The shiney stuff just doesn't like me.
    Thanks all for the reponses. I will keep you posted.
    Post edited by Claudine on
    I guess I still don't understand - it should stick more to the application tape not the backing that is the way it is meant to work. Do you mean that it does not stick to the application tape?

What do you mean by "vinyl sheet"?
    Nelda, the vinyl is cutting through, at least when I pick letter to push through it come out, I don't do all the letters so maybe some are sticking.
    I don't get that far to weed and apply tape because my design is stuck in the vinyl. It's acting like it's not cutting through, but when I pick a letter it come out. Maybe it's not cutting through enough. I will test again when I get home. I'm at work now. Thanks Nelda.
    edited September 2011
    I am getting ready to go to work as well, will be at work all night. I am sure I am not following what you are saying - put it down to my hurry to get ready for work!

Hopefully someone will be back to help you out after you get home. Good luck!
    Post edited by nelda on
  • mlpluessmlpluess Posts: 115Member
    You are not supposed to push the letters through. All you want is the layer of vinyl to be cut and the backing to be in-tacked. You then peel up the vinyl surrounding the letters or image and then weed the interior.

• mlpluessmlpluess Posts: 115Member
    It is possible you have too much force. The reason I say this is because you want the blade to glide along the vinyl not smash into it. The vinyl is like a rubbery latex so it will stretch. When I have used too much force I get score lines in my vinyl instead of a straight cut.

Try both, more force first but if that does not work try less.
    mlpluess I know that I'm not suppose to do that but that was the only way I could tell if if the vinyl had cut through, it was not releasing. I will play around the the settings. Thanks
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    One clue to your force level being too much or too little is look your backing. Is there any markings at all on the backing from the knife? I always want my blade to mark the backing slightly but not cut the backing.
    Missouri
    I took my force up to 19 speed at 7 and that worked. It was not enought force. I saw markings on the back but no cut through. Thanks all, I would have never thought to take it that high. Also this vinyl is Oracal 341, I noticed the vinyl I orderd from Nick at craft vinyl has different brands. Thank for your help.
  • SBryanWSBryanW Posts: 4,759Administrator
    Claudine, Oracal vinyl is normally excellent, and many have used the 651 and 631 series with no problems. If you have the 341, that is a promotional 3 mil, economy calendered PVC film with a permanent adhesive (651 is 2.5-mil, intermediate calendered, PVC film, permanent adhesive, so 631 is a little thicker than 651). The technical specs are similar. It could be you have a bad roll - I would contact Oracal and see if they have any suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.