NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

MTC's Cricut Cartridge Backup Software Beginner's Tutorial

2»

Comments

• stackyscrapsstackyscraps Posts: 1,084Member
    Ok I am a bit confused now Grandma Nancy - Do you have DS opened when you are getting that error? Or is that error coming after it says it in Backup Mode? ;) We will get to the bottom of it hang in there. As far as looking for a place to start, it depends - what do you most want to do? I think it is easiest to start with something that you want to do and then watch related tutorials - think it keeps you most motivated and less frustrated if you are working on something you specifically want, but that is just my humble opinion ;)

Stacy
  • juliefes_ID1966juliefes_ID1966 Posts: 340Member
    There are printable Introductory tutorials here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/01_Introductory_Lessons/

Printable Basic tutorials here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/02_Basic Lessons/

and Links to Basic Tutorials, Printable and Video here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/links/Basic_Video_Tutorials_001268275951/

It is a great idea to stick with the basics until you are at least comfortable with using basic software functions.

Julie
    Those wanting to cut from Make The Cut to machines other than the Cricut may be interested in the printable Tutorials I have posted.

Go here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/01_Introductory_Lessons/
    to download tutorials covering the following:

05_From Make The Cut to Craft Robo.pdf
    06_From Make The Cut to Gazelle.pdf
    08_MTC to PLT.pdf for converting files from MTC to PLT for importing into Funtime, Pazzles, WinPCSign, and Roland software.
    09_From Make The Cut To Roland Cutters.pdf

Julie
    The most important tutorial for all MTC users is this printable tutorial covering all of the toolbars and shortcut keys in MTC 2.21 This document will be updated with each new version of MTC. Meanwhile, this document is one to print and keep handy whenever using MTC. It allows you to see at a glance what each toolbar icon looks like, what its functions are, and the menu and shortcuts for accessing the functions. You can find it here:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/01_Introductory_Lessons/

03_MTCToolbars.pdf

Julie
  • Grandma_NancyGrandma_Nancy Posts: 11Member
    Stacy, Yes, DS is open when I get that message. Your fix to "run as administrator" worked for me. Still curious why mine isn't the same though. I'm not really good....just so-so with computers. I can foresee me looking all over the place once I start saving things! I hope I get the hang of some things soon! LOL I guess I was just amazed at all the things you can do with MTC and wanted to have it too. I figured I would continue to watch tuts and grow as it goes. It took me a while to get comfortable with DS. I don't use it to it's fullest either but I use it all the time. I was particularly happy that I could cut images from other than expensive Cricut cartridges. I already have 46 and it's crazy if you spend that kind of money because you really love one or two images!!!
    I am so glad you have it working now and don't worry, you will get used to it, it will just take a little time and we are all ehre to help. I think it is actually easier and more intuitive to use than Design Studio, especially now that we have layers. I know what you mean about the cartreidges, I have 60 adn it is insane and I used to play the game of saving up all year and then spending the entire Thanksgiving weekend trying to get what I wanted and torturing myself over my purchases - making and downloading other's files is so much better!! ;)

Stacy
    http://stackyscraps.com
  • alice.bralice.br Posts: 23Member
    Does this option - backup - work for the trial version of CDS?
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    edited April 2010
    alice.br,

With the trial version of CDS, you can ONLY back-up the original cartridge that came with your Cricut machine(Plantin for the Expression, George for the Original, and Don Juan for the Create) . If you have a Jukebox, there is a glitch that lets you put in your original cart (in the main slot), and other carts, and THEN you can back-up all the carts...

*EDITED April 10th to add:
    Sorry, I should have been more specific... you may back-up all the carts you OWN and have in your possesion ONLY, that's the way it was designed.

Hope this helps,

Jeanette
    Post edited by iggylover on
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• KATHYANNKATHYANN Posts: 1,428Member
    Wow, I didnt even know this was an option. I learn something new everyday. thanks for the tut.
    Kathy - Katiedoodlesgran
  • Angel135612Angel135612 Posts: 4,246Member
    I just watched the tut for backing up a cart at the beginning of this discussion. I tried it, and it worked perfectly!!!! Great job, easy to understand. I'm learning so much from this group.

Diane
    Diane in Colorado Springs
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
  • kbear222_Michigankbear222_Michigan Posts: 175Member
    video gone for backing up :-(
    Yes, the screenshots from this video are being used in the lawsuit against Andy so I do not think I will be putting them anywhere else at this point. I felt terrible about this before and now I feel even worse.
  • ruthgillis_ID2936ruthgillis_ID2936 Posts: 5,768Member
    Stacey... NOT YOUR FAULT and NOT ANDY's FAULT! So sorry they are using what good people do gfor their own greedy mean gains. We LOVE all you have done! So sorry you have been drug down and into this by PC!! Chin up we support you too!!
  • rachellann_ID714rachellann_ID714 Posts: 10,251Banned
    heck stacy they have the stupid bug head from the gallery there like that freaken harmed them more like it was used by some one and make that company money

image image
    Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter

http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/

My Blog is:
    http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/

Stacy,

Definitely NOT your fault...

Look at this quote from another post:

"CommentAuthorangel135612 CommentTime7 hours ago
    I have been giving this some thought.. and under the copyright laws themselves, you can not copyright an idea, procedure, or method (there are others, but this is suffecient for my purposes). So any one that has created a tutorial video on HOW TO USE CDS and MTC and PC removed it from You Tube... I would fight, and have PC PROVE that they have the copyright to YOUR IDEA of HOW TO USE THE PROGRAM. They can't and don't have a copyright of an idea, and your videos USING THIER SOFTWARE that was legally obtained, either by purchase or download, IS NOT A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. Your sharing of that IDEA, is NOT ILLEGAL. Using THIER program in ways they did not forsee, IS NOT ILLEGAL. Make them produce a legal ruling that they own the copyrights to YOUR VIDEO and IDEA to have it removed from YouTube.

If someone copied the designs from a cart they owned, and SHARED THOSE DESIGNS, then that sharing of designs is illegal, but the idea of how to get them, is not.

There is a lot of information about the "Big Guys" going after the "little guys" and the little guys winning on this website... www.tabberone.com look under The Hall of Shame. I have been looking at this site for a few years, and doing my own research. The little guy CAN AND DOES WIN, when they don't back down, and fight for their rights. A lot of times, the "Big Guys" may reach a settlement out of court, because they know they can't win. It could be that PC is just trying to scare Andy with this suit, and if that is so, then I hope Andy does fight back, and WINS. As far as I know, he didn't rewrite CDS, he didn't change their program in order to get it to work with his, he didn't do anything to violate THIER copyrights with the program or the carts. Even having the back up feature, he didn't change it so that you can do it with out owning a cart, and he doesn't support the copying and sharing of those designs. He just gave us a way to save them for our own use. I would like to know what copyrights PC thinks he violated, and I almost wish this does end up in court, with Andy prevailing, because he DIDN'T VIOLATE ANY COPYRIGHT LAWS. If any one violated copyright laws, it would be the people that backuped their carts, then made those files available to others. From what I have seen on this board, and I haven't been here that long, people don't share the files, they share the IDEA on how to do it, so we can all back up our OWN LEGALLY PURCHASED carts. Just because PC doesn't like it, doesn't mean it is illeagal. "

I second, third, and fourth this!!! Your video was your idea of how to use the program you already owned as well as the cart you already owned, there is NO copyright violation happening there.

Jeanette
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

edited April 2010
    ;) thanks guys, I thought about this but am still undecided on what to do, do not want to make it worse for him. I would not know how to go about doin this either - just an e-mail to you tube? Anyone know/have an idea?
    Post edited by stackyscraps on
  • bbonkobbonko Posts: 908Member
    My first project in CDS was making a bug head! I guess I'm lucky wasn't sued! It did look pretty good, even if I do say so myself. Must admit, I could have made it much easier and better with MTC!

Brenda in WA
    Brenda B
    Longview, WA
  • CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
    My husband sit here tonight and DREW there logo in less than 2 minutes. How in this world can they prove that logo came off one of their cartridges?
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/
    Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • John&KathyJohn&Kathy Posts: 264Member
    edited April 2010
    I completely agree with Iggylover. If you bought a CD and riped it and posted the music on the internet for anyone to use that would be illegal. It would be the person posting the music that would be in violation not the manufacture of the software to rip the music.

There are many tutorials out there on how to rip music but that doesn't make the person righting the tutorial liable for what someone does with it.

I believe it has already been proven in court that we have a right to back up our digital content as long as we are not sharing it with others.

Andy and Stacy, I know they are bringing it to Andy pretty hard and I am sure Stacy you are uncertain about what your next steps should be. Please let us know what we can do to help.

From what I have seen watching this forum for a while now this is a pretty tight nit group and frankly we all want and need you to win.

God bless and I don't say that lightly.
    Take care and we are all watching and praying for wisdom, strength, and peace about what is going on.
    John
    Post edited by John&Kathy on
  • CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
    Amen John
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/
    Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sew Many CardsSew Many Cards Posts: 29Member
    I am new here, and just bought the program this morning because of what I have seen and my views with PC- but just wanted to say that I support what everyone has done here and the closeness that you all have. I'm sure it means a lot to you and very glad to see that it exists. I know this hits home with a lot of people, but it looks like there are a lot of friends who have your backs.
  • ruthgillis_ID2936ruthgillis_ID2936 Posts: 5,768Member
    Thanks Sew Many Card!! We all appreciate your support -esp. Andy and Ann!
    Thanks guys for all the kind thoughts - I am really just worried about Andy and hate that they tried to use my stuff against him but I think I am going to hang tight with everything for and just wait and see what happens.
  • Sew Many CardsSew Many Cards Posts: 29Member
    My mom had a good point: You can teach someone how to make a bomb, but you aren't telling them to go blow something up. People are always teaching others their skills and not getting sued.
  • scrappymomtotwinsscrappymomtotwins Posts: 3Member
    Sigh. Being ever late to the party, I just got MTC. (My mom has been ill since Christmas and it's been on my to-do list but life got in the way). And of course, I'd like to back up my LEGALLY PURCHASED 80 carts and Design studio--but the video has been canned by you-know-who. Is there some reference doc someone can point me to or send me so I can futz with my software?

PS re the logo--wouldn't matter if it came off the cart or not. Trust me, if you did it with Mickey Mouse disney would go after you. Companies are VERY protective of their trademarked logo's. Disney has sued pre-schools for unauthorized usage.
  • scrappymomtotwinsscrappymomtotwins Posts: 3Member
    PPS the case of Tabberone and Vero probably doesn't apply here.
  • KellyKelly Posts: 3Member
    Okay, so I am new to MTC and forums (it took me a while to find the spot to post on this thread LOL) so pardon my ignorance...I hope I don't sound to dumb :( I joined the Yahoo Groups Forum but I cannot seem to find the pdf file for instructions on how to back up my cricut cartridges. Any help? I'm assuming from reading previous threads that it must be gone becasue of Cricut???? Is this correct? I saw in one of the posts to do the following (which I did) I opened my CDS and MTC, then I went to Start, MTC, DS Back Up. I got the message CDS is now in backup mode. To back up, place shapes on the mat and initiate a cut with your Cricut. So I put 2 shapes on my mat (in CDS) to test and went to cut. I got the message "Please make sure your computer is connected to CDS .... and then try again". Okay, so am I supposed to connect my cricut and then cut? Am I supposed to initiate the cut from MTC? Does anyone have the PDF instructions that they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Kelly
  • rachellann_ID714rachellann_ID714 Posts: 10,251Banned
    I for would lioke to say most of us who have been here a while are on the hold and see as far as this feature being discussed, it may sound not nice but it is causeing problems for some but it seems that since it was so much an issue with everything that we are really waiting for matters to clear on this part of the program, If you are using the trial version it will not work, if you just purchased the program please search this forum for some of the answers . Right now no instructions are being offered by our members. Due to the unfor seen curcunstances that have arrisen. PC has pulled All of them.

image image
    Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter

http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/

My Blog is:
    http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/

Kelly,

I think the 'official non-official' (if that makes ANY sense at all...) stance on the forum at this moment should be that we treat the cartridge back-up ability as if it doesnt' exist... I personally have never used it, so I couldn't give any advice anyway, those who have used it are not about to give help or advice about it (and rightfully so)...

If you really, really want to know... you have to look off this forum to see if someone else has given directions that aren't in any way connected to Andy, this forum, or MTC...

Good luck,

Jeanette

• KellyKelly Posts: 3Member
    Thank you. I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone, I really did not know or understand what the "situation" was until receiving these responses...then I did a little research. I'm so sorry to see that MTC is being sued by Provo Craft...I don't understand why though, I would have thought they would embrace the product. I own 40 plus cartridges but MTC makes it so much easier to do the things I want to do...I guess I'm still confused.

Kelly
  • shaleridgescrappershaleridgescrapper Posts: 10Member
    andy i wanted to say i support you all the way pc has their nose bent out of place i have injoyed this product mtc
  • jorgenson1717jorgenson1717 Posts: 4Member
    I'm a big supporter of MTC. Wouldn't this idea of being able to back up your Cricut cartridges increase Provo Crafts profits? After finding out I could back up my cartridges which I own legally, I recently went and pruchased 3 more of their cartridges.

Whats this world coming to when big companies sue the little guys.

Take care everyone

Cindy
  • JayneJayne Posts: 37Member
    Video doesnt work anymore....:(
This discussion has been closed.