NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Silhouette and sticky mat

newbie1nomorenewbie1nomore Posts: 232Member
edited June 2011 in Help for Make The Cut
Hi, I just plugged in my new silhouette, and made first cut---a fabulous, perfectly round circle from cardstock. I now want to cut something from patterned paper, but I'm not sure how to handle the stickiness of the mat? When I peeled my cardstock off it curled up, and the rest of the paper was pretty much non-usable after taking it off (it was all curled too). Anyone have any suggestions on how I can deal with this?

Thanks very much!
Barb

Comments

• PaperthreadsPaperthreads Posts: 748Member
    pat a cotton shirt on it a few times, it will pick up some of the lint fibers from the shirt and lessen the stickiness.

Or you can pat the palm of your hands on it too, and the natural oils from your hands will also release some of the adhesive, making it less sticky.
    www.paperthreadsblog.com
    Pre-Order the Silhouette Portrait Today!

If there are typing errors, blame it on my fat fingers on my mobile device....some days they seem fatter then others!
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    There are two different mats. Are you using the less sticky one?
    Missouri
  • newbie1nomorenewbie1nomore Posts: 232Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am using the extra-sticky one for the cardstock, but had forgotten about the less sticky one for the paper.

I just cut an AMAZING lattice with the silhouette, and I amost cried, it's so perfect! Now I just have to get all the inside pieces to unstick!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Posts: 5,294Member
    Hey newbie, good for you, yes the wonder of the Silhouette can bring one to tears, I had the same response when I did my first intricate cut!! What a dream machine!
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,006Member
    To prevent the curling someone on the Sil users group suggested turning the mat over and peeling the mat away from the paper - instead of peeling the paper off of the mat. Since reading that, I've been removing paper/card stock this way and it really does work.
    In NC cutting with a Cameo & 18" BC Cougar
  • mjnixmjnix Posts: 388Member
    edited June 2011
    I know what you mean about the paper curling.I have that problem too. Karen, you mentioned the less sticky mat. I thought that was for copy paper and vellum. Are you saying the mat will hold cardstock too? Also, when choosing the blade I usually follow the recommended settings but find it doesn't always cut through. Would you change the blade or play with the thickness and speed?. My first card...Sorry I double posted the images, will learn soon. image
    IMG_0684.JPG
    2816 x 2112 - 3M
    IMG_0684.JPG
    2112 x 2816 - 3M
    Post edited by mjnix on
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    ...Karen, you mentioned the less sticky mat. I thought that was for copy paper and vellum. Are you saying the mat will hold cardstock too?
    I put cardstock oon the "paper" mat all the time and it works well. I usually use GP 110# CS.

In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Posts: 1,129Member
    Which mat is which? I was so happy when I was able to do a perfect double sided print and cut *until* I took it off the mat and it left the whole surface of the paper behind.

Mj, Very cute card!
    The one that is see-thru is the paper mat, less sticky. But if you used glossy paper, this might happen again.
  • mjnixmjnix Posts: 388Member
    The clear carrier sheet is for standard tac. photo paper,copy paper, and inkjet, as long as it's smooth and flat (-5mil). The green carrier sheet has extra tac for thick (-10mil) flat, smooth or textured cardstock like Bazzil paper. This is per instruction from Silhouette. I am sure people have many different experiences especially when you change blades ,speed and thickness. I follow this guide and adjust according to the results of my cut. I have been practicing with vinyl today and I have been amazed by this little machine.
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Posts: 1,129Member
    I was using the clear mat and matte paper, and I had already cut a few things on it so it wasn't brand new sticky :(
  • chaniilovechaniilove Posts: 419Member
    I just got a new cameo, only one mat, and my first cut had that problem...I tried a face that I had been trying to cut unsuccessfully with my cricut because it was too detailed, and it handled the cuts great, but I messed it up getting it off the mat because it had some very thin lines, i will try the shirt trick to make it a bit less sticky...but I love the cameo so far :)
  • stenojjstenojj Posts: 314Member
    Using your hands and touching them all over the mat helps too. The oil in your hands helps make them less sticky!
    JJ

Follow Me on Pinterest

• AuntJAuntJ Posts: 182Member
    I have the SD, not the cameo, but my sister just got me some new mats for my birthday from our LSS. They are somewhat clear (milky) but the sticky on them is perfect! To the touch they are not as sticky as the first mats that came with my machine but when I put the card stock down it seems to hold better and release better.
  • Paula_AnnePaula_Anne Posts: 2Member
    I have the eclipos and I am having the same problem. My paper is sticking WAY to much and I am not able to use it again. I've tried the hands on the mat but it's not helping. I only see one mat available for the tool. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • uenidauenida Posts: 2Member
    can Any1 Tell Me .. Can This Sticky Paper Is Reusable?
  • uenidauenida Posts: 2Member
    How Many Mats Come With Machines? Coz I Want To Purchase This Machine & Little Bit Doubtful
    How Many Mats Come With Machines? Coz I Want To Purchase This Machine & Little Bit Doubtful
    We are discussing several machines and mats here, which one are you thinking about? I think every machine - even the "mat less" ecraft - comes with a mat.

This discussion has been closed.