NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Use your cutter for cake decorating

deseretdesignsdeseretdesigns Posts: 60Member
edited April 2011 in General
There has been some discussion about using electronic cutters for cake decorating. I invented this method using the cricut expression but I now use the Silhouette. This is the machine we sell with the modified blade, mainly because the Silhouettes print and cut feature is very good and the machine is not that expensive.
If your machine uses a mat and has a blade it can be used to cut out decorations for a cake. I have a blog at www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com that has several hints and tips for using your cutter.
I have been working with icing sheets and have had great success with them. In fact, when I demonstrate the Silhouette at cake shows I only use icing sheets. I am sharing this because the people in this forum understand paper and paper crafting. You would cut icing sheets just like you would paper. You can have a lot of fun decorating your home made or store bought treats. You can order your icing sheets from www.icingimages.com and they are working on colored sheets. They have chocolate icing sheets that tastes just like chocolate! This is not supposed to be an advertisement for the company that sells the icing sheets, I just wanted to share this with the folks who already understand the unlimited uses of their great cutting machines.

If you would like to see a few videos go to you tube and put my name Linda McClure in the search box.

Comments

• susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,850Member
    Linda - Thanks for posting this information. I looked and there are several brands of icing sheets on that website. Do you recommend ay particular one if we are not going to print, but just cut the sheets?
  • karen3912karen3912 Posts: 3,182Banned
    Linda, Are you the cake lady PC got? Then they brought out the cake machine. If you are I am glad you are still cutting and decorating cakes. :)
  • nanajoynanajoy Posts: 828Member
    edited April 2011
    Linda, thanks for sharing the info. I haven't done any cake decorating with my cutting machine, but your blog really gives me some idea. I am sure all the forum members that do cakes will appreciate the info.

Post edited by nanajoy on
    Joy S.
    Columbia, MO
  • deseretdesignsdeseretdesigns Posts: 60Member
    Yes, I am the person PC pirated the whole idea from. I am patent pending on the entire method of using electronic cutters for cake decorating. I should hear something by the end of the year. Provo Craft has deep pockets and in-house lawyers. I don't have the money or lawyers to really go against them, but I will just have to wait and see what happens. I posted the story on my blog if you want to read about it.
    As far as product goes, there are 2 companies I find to have the best icing sheets. I mentioned Icing Images at www.icingimages.com The other company is Photo Frost at www.photofrost.com I demonstrate both products and like them both. Icing sheets cost about $1.25 for a 8.5 x 11 sheet. You can get a lot of cut decorations from one sheet so you see that there is very little cost involved.
    When I first started all of this I was thrilled to find a program that let me cut more than the designs on the cartridges. I chose MTC because I thought it worked the best and gave the best results. I even teach MTC in my classes and put out a class DVD set teaching this technique.
    Many cake decorators use MTC for their design work and I send them to this forum with any problems they may be having. The folks here are the best to help solve issues with the MTC program or cutting machines.
  • CeCeCreatesCeCeCreates Posts: 1,869Member
    Welcome to our forum Linda. You will find us to be a supportive group. And thank you for adding your skills to our group!
  • Calgalcr8sCalgalcr8s Posts: 2,677Member

Linda, of the electronic cutters you have worked with, which one do you prefer to use for cake decorating? Love all your work.
  • Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,474Member
    Hi Linda (you are the reason I bought an E)!

Maybe you can help me - I had several packages of icing sheets the vendor gave me at ICES in 09 (it pays to be on the committee, sometimes!) Of course, there are NO brand markings anywhere - not on the silver bag, the sheet backing, anywhere! Arrrrgh. I am nearly out of them and I loved them. They are a full 8.5x11, a tad heavier than my old ones, and backed with a clear plastic backing sheet (which works perfect in the CC - I stick it to my sticky mat with my fondant on it, cut like a vinyl cut - very easy to remove my pieces.) Does that sound like either the Icing Images or the Photo Frost?

If not, I guess I will just wait for convention in August and see them first hand.
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl

Linda, of the electronic cutters you have worked with, which one do you prefer to use for cake decorating? Love all your work.
    I really like the Silhouette, but you need to get the cake package from us with the blade holder that works best for cutting gum paste and icing sheets. I love the print and cut with the Silhouette, it is very accurate and the Silhouette Studio is pretty easy to use. With that being said, I have used several cutters, and they all do a great job. It is not so much the machine that gives you great results, but knowing how to work with the sugar product. I started with the cricut ( I really wish I had known about the other machines back then ) but if the machine uses a mat and blade it will peobably work.

Hi Linda (you are the reason I bought an E)!

Maybe you can help me - I had several packages of icing sheets the vendor gave me at ICES in 09 (it pays to be on the committee, sometimes!) Of course, there are NO brand markings anywhere - not on the silver bag, the sheet backing, anywhere! Arrrrgh. I am nearly out of them and I loved them. They are a full 8.5x11, a tad heavier than my old ones, and backed with a clear plastic backing sheet (which works perfect in the CC - I stick it to my sticky mat with my fondant on it, cut like a vinyl cut - very easy to remove my pieces.) Does that sound like either the Icing Images or the Photo Frost?

If not, I guess I will just wait for convention in August and see them first hand.
    It sounds like you were using the icing image brand. Their icing sheets come on a clear plastic backing and come in a silver bag. I have had great luck with the icing image products. Their new chocolate sheets are great. I will try to post a picture of a cake made with their product.

This is an example of a cake made using the icing image icing sheets. The chocolate sheets are new and are excellent to work with.
    d38.jpg
    1115 x 1394 - 318K
    This cake was decorated using the icing sheets from Photo Frost. This cake is a good example of the very intricate cuts I can get with the icing sheets. I can also get this quality of work with gum paste.
    d39.jpg
    1187 x 1780 - 385K
  • AuntJAuntJ Posts: 182Member
    WOW... All I can say is wow!
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    Amazing...

...and I'm so glad I can't gain weight just looking at them... because I'm practically drooling... =P~
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,474Member
    Thank you, Linda. I will check the Icing Images site.

Gorgeous cakes!
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
  • Nancy_Cre8iveCutzNancy_Cre8iveCutz Posts: 1,511Member
    Wow those are amazing!
    Nancy
    image   image   image
  • shirltopshirltop Posts: 1,198Member
    Stunning cakes!
    Shirley in Northern Utah
    http://www.sillybeansideaspace.blogspot.com
    Don't save something for a special occasion. Every day of your life is a special occasion.
  • karen3912karen3912 Posts: 3,182Banned
    Wow, gorgeous and all I need is a fattening hobby. I am safe, nothing is ever available in Australia if I want it.
    Good luck with PC and we are all behind you. I will check out your blog. :)
  • ImaCutterImaCutter Posts: 3,168Member
    Enabler Alert!!!!

These designs are incredible! My daughter and I have watched some of your videos some time back. I have only cut a few things. These icing sheets look like they make the whole process super easy!! Thanks for sharing this most helpful info. We will have to get some to try now!!!
    http://imacuttercrafts.blogspot.com/ A BUCKEYE living in Florida **Proud owner of "Zinga" Follow Me on Pinterest
  • SydneysMomSydneysMom Posts: 1,860Member
    Linda I saw your videos on Youtube and ordered your advance cake package to use with my Silhouette. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet but am really excited about learning your techniques.
    *** 24 Inch Black Cat Cougar For Sale – SOLD
    *** Silhouette SD For Sale - Please PM me if interested ***
  • pearl70pearl70 Posts: 42Member
    can your cake pkg be used with the Cricut Expression? Do I need to altar my machine in any way? I had heard before that I would have to move the rubber feeding feet on the bar.
    Linda I saw your videos on Youtube and ordered your advance cake package to use with my Silhouette. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet but am really excited about learning your techniques.
    If you already have a Silhouette then you need to get the cake package to go with it. You need the modified blade to cut icing sheets or gum paste. There is more information at www.creativedesignscakes.com
    can your cake pkg be used with the Cricut Expression? Do I need to altar my machine in any way? I had heard before that I would have to move the rubber feeding feet on the bar.
    My very first DVD was about using the cricut expression. If you would like more information you can order it from www.creativedesignscakes.com
    We are closing out all of our DVDs that have anything to do with the cricut so you can get them at a reduced price.

• CarmenOCarmenO Posts: 1,109Member
    I use a deep cut blade and holder and just move the little rings on the feeding bar off to the side, It seems to work well.
    Gazelle, Cameo
    Linda - I have the Black Cat Cougar click holder that fits into my Silhouette. It's very similar in style to the Cricut blade holder. I hope it works as I have not tried cutting gumpaste with it yet.
  • JeannetteCJeannetteC Posts: 3,200Member
    I love how those look Linda! I haven't tried my hand with using my cutter for decorating yet, but may have to try it out.
    Jeannette C, Ontario, Canada
    http://houseofcards-jc.blogspot.com
  • TamTam Posts: 1,521Member
    Linda - thank you for jumping on here and sharing your talents with us all. Your cakes are amazing!
    Cheers...Tam
    I use a deep cut blade and holder and just move the little rings on the feeding bar off to the side, It seems to work well.
    do you use the icing sheets or make your own?
  • CarmenOCarmenO Posts: 1,109Member
    Pearl70 I use fondant or gumpaste but the best I like is a mixture of 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant it doesn't dry so hard or fast. Just roll it really thin and cut it. be sure to use shortening on the mat to keep it from slipping. Buy some already made and just experiment when you have time. roll it out and if it is too thick and doesn't cut right roll it thinner. Some times with fondant it helps to chill it or let it dry out 10mins or so then it cuts easier.
    Gazelle, Cameo
    Pearl70 I use fondant or gumpaste but the best I like is a mixture of 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant it doesn't dry so hard or fast. Just roll it really thin and cut it. be sure to use shortening on the mat to keep it from slipping. Buy some already made and just experiment when you have time. roll it out and if it is too thick and doesn't cut right roll it thinner. Some times with fondant it helps to chill it or let it dry out 10mins or so then it cuts easier.

ok thanks

Does anyone know how long you can keep gum paste frozen once prepared as a sheet for cutting?
    Does anyone know how long you can keep gum paste frozen once prepared as a sheet for cutting?</blockquote

It can stay in the freezer for a very long time. I have used gum paste that was frozen for over a year and it was still good. Make sure it is in an air tight bag.

Thanks Linda. I finally got a chance to watch some of your videos and they are great!
  • LidaBLidaB Posts: 1Member
    Hi Linda. I read above about your piracy issue with PC! What they have done to you upsets me so bad that if I could get rid of all my products from them and start over new with something else I would! Anything and everything that you have from as far back as you can go with suppliers you bought your icings from, all your posts anywhere on the internet where you shared all your ideas and so on should be proof of their piracy. You said you have DVDs for the cricut - did you make them on your own, or did they 'hire' you for your ideas and help? I had my own business for around 20 yrs and I ended up in a situation similar to yours and I got the short end of the stick! Some of us are too honest and too trusting (ME!) and you can't trust anyones 'word' anymore! If you don't have everything in writing, you WILL be robbed and trashed no matter who or what they are! Greed is a powerful thing, and those that have it have NO scruples and no conscience, and unfortunately if they claim to be 'Christian' they are even worse!! May God bless and fight for you, and I will keep you in my prayers! Hugs! LidaB
  • KimKim Posts: 2,467Member
    Linda,
    So glad to see you on the forum. I ordered your video a long time ago and then all the junk with PC started. I never got around to checking your video out, but my niece loves decorating cakes. She wanted a Cricut Cake, but I gave her your video instead. She has a Cricut Expression, so she was so thrilled to get the video. Needless to say, huge fan of yours. And, if I remember correctly, you are near my neck of the woods. If I ever get a little down the road, I may have to check you out.

Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tigger the Black Cat Cougar 24" - the cat with attitudeTM
    As Yet Un-named Silhouette Cameo
    Hot Stuff the Foil Master
    Linda-
    Was watching your video and it mentions high ratio shortening. Can you clarify? I've never seen "high ratio" shortening at the market. Can I just use Crisco? Thanks.
  • redbigbredbigb Posts: 284Member
    Oh, my Linda! Those are beautiful!
    Do you mind if I ask how you did the Lego cake? Was it a print and cut? My Kyler Kid, loves Star Wars and I would love to surprise him with something like that for his birthday. If it is print and cut, I imagine you have a special printer and ink for it. Hmmm...I love this though. I am impressed with your talents--any they are many!
    Redbigb - Linda uses a Canon printer and food ink cartridges for printed images. Check her out on Youtube. Just search deseretdesigns1.
  • P1x3L.F3T1SHP1x3L.F3T1SH Posts: 319Member
    OMG!!!! It's the cake lady!! How awesome! [pssst I think you are the bomb!]
    Linda,
    So glad to see you on the forum. I ordered your video a long time ago and then all the junk with PC started. I never got around to checking your video out, but my niece loves decorating cakes. She wanted a Cricut Cake, but I gave her your video instead. She has a Cricut Expression, so she was so thrilled to get the video. Needless to say, huge fan of yours. And, if I remember correctly, you are near my neck of the woods. If I ever get a little down the road, I may have to check you out.

Kim, where are you from? Tell your niece I am happy she enjoyrd the DVD and I hope she is having great success using her cricut for cake decorating. Send me her address and I will be happy to send her the rest of the cricut DVDs. We are no longer making them and will sell out of them soon.

Linda-
    Was watching your video and it mentions high ratio shortening. Can you clarify? I've never seen "high ratio" shortening at the market. Can I just use Crisco? Thanks.
    The trans fat was removed from store bought shortening like crisco. The high ratio shortening is made for baking and gives you a superior frosting. You can use crisco, but you get the best results from high ratio shortening. I buy mine in 50 pound blocks, but you may be able to get smaller amounts from a cake supply store.
    Oh, my Linda! Those are beautiful!
    Do you mind if I ask how you did the Lego cake? Was it a print and cut? My Kyler Kid, loves Star Wars and I would love to surprise him with something like that for his birthday. If it is print and cut, I imagine you have a special printer and ink for it. Hmmm...I love this though. I am impressed with your talents--any they are many!
    The lego cake was for my grandson's birthday. When he saw his cake he said, "Grandma, that cake is awesome!" That is a great compliment from a 7year old. The images were from a lego sticker book of his. I scanned tem into my picture program and printen them on white gum paste. I was able to cut around the image using the Silhouette. I love the print and cut feature. I have started using the icing sheets and find them very convenient. PhotoFrost makes an icing sheet that works great for this type of project. You do need a printer that has food coloring cartridges.

OMG!!!! It's the cake lady!! How awesome! [pssst I think you are the bomb!]
    Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I have to say that the people on this forum are amazing and I enjoy reading the posts.

Hi Linda. I read above about your piracy issue with PC! What they have done to you upsets me so bad that if I could get rid of all my products from them and start over new with something else I would! Anything and everything that you have from as far back as you can go with suppliers you bought your icings from, all your posts anywhere on the internet where you shared all your ideas and so on should be proof of their piracy. You said you have DVDs for the cricut - did you make them on your own, or did they 'hire' you for your ideas and help? I had my own business for around 20 yrs and I ended up in a situation similar to yours and I got the short end of the stick! Some of us are too honest and too trusting (ME!) and you can't trust anyones 'word' anymore! If you don't have everything in writing, you WILL be robbed and trashed no matter who or what they are! Greed is a powerful thing, and those that have it have NO scruples and no conscience, and unfortunately if they claim to be 'Christian' they are even worse!! May God bless and fight for you, and I will keep you in my prayers! Hugs! LidaB
    Thank you for your interest and concern. It has been quite an experience, and will get very intersting when I get the final approval on my patent. I did film a commercial for Provo Craft,(at the time I still thought they were going to work with me) but they edited me out of it. All of the instructional DVDs we have made were done on our own.

I have received so many e-mails and phone calls from people who have had the same experience as I have with Provo Craft. I shared all the drama and details on my blog www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com and it is called "The Real Story".

• susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,850Member
    Linda - Thanks for all of the information. I was just looking at your latest blog post about using the icing sheets with other tools such as paper punches and decorative scissors. Are these the store brand sheets from icing images? Can they be placed on a soft (whipped) or buttercream frosting without dissolving? I can see a lot of possibilities with these even if you do not own an edible printer.
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Here's the link to "The Real Story". Interesting read. http://creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/2010/07/welcome-to-my-new-blog.html
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
    Linda - Thanks for all of the information. I was just looking at your latest blog post about using the icing sheets with other tools such as paper punches and decorative scissors. Are these the store brand sheets from icing images? Can they be placed on a soft (whipped) or buttercream frosting without dissolving? I can see a lot of possibilities with these even if you do not own an edible printer.
    PhotoFrost has a new icing sheet that is a bit thicker and is perfect for electronic cutters. The icing sheets don't melt into the buttercream, but just stick to it. I did a demo about how to use them, even color plain white ones if you do not have an edible printing system. The more I play with these sheets the more ideas I get for decorating possibilities. The companies that make icing sheets are coming out with colored ones and even icing sheets with designs. The scrapbook world already knows what to do with scrapbook paper, now use that creativy with the icing sheets and tools you already have to create really amazing cakes.

Linda,
    I am in Ruston, although I go to Natchitoches quite a few times to visit family. I don't make it further south much due to a teenage son. He keeps me busy. My niece is also in Ruston going to Tech. It's nice having her in town. I think her first love is cake decorating, but she comes over to my house to scrapbook. For her wedding present, I got her the Kitchenaid stand mixer as I knew it would get used very often!! She makes all the cakes for her little nieces and nephews birthdays.

She is about to move to a house, so I don't know what her new address will be, but you can send them to me at 3309 English Turn, Ruston 71270. I would gladly pay you for it also.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews

Linda,
    I am in Ruston, although I go to Natchitoches quite a few times to visit family. I don't make it further south much due to a teenage son. He keeps me busy. My niece is also in Ruston going to Tech. It's nice having her in town. I think her first love is cake decorating, but she comes over to my house to scrapbook. For her wedding present, I got her the Kitchenaid stand mixer as I knew it would get used very often!! She makes all the cakes for her little nieces and nephews birthdays.

She is about to move to a house, so I don't know what her new address will be, but you can send them to me at 3309 English Turn, Ruston 71270. I would gladly pay you for it also.
    We will be at a cake show in Dallas this weekend, but I will get the DVDs in the mail to you on Tuesday. We are in Vidalia, but our son lives in Monroe. The ICES meeting for July will be in Shreveport, so you may want to come. It will be July 18th.

Oh, that would be awesome. My niece is from Shreveport, so I will have to tell her about it. I've been through Vidalia, but it has been a while. I think we went a different way to get to Baton Rouge for some reason. I go to Monroe often. I know that when I visited your site, you amazed me with your cakes. Then I saw where you were located. I really hope to maybe one day get a special cake, but it may have to be for my 50th wedding anniversary before my DH finally gets the hint. LOL.

• disneymaniac1985disneymaniac1985 Posts: 225Member
    Ooh, how exciting! I knew little of the electronic crafting world until I happened across the announcement for the Cricut Cake. Linda, I know you got screwed, but you did that for me! LOL I became obsessed with getting a CC and eventually got one, and my cake creating has now expanded into paper crafting after seeing how easy the electronic cutters are to use with MTC. My mother bought me a "paper" cricut for Christmas, before the MTC lawsuit...I didn't know anything about any other cutters until the lawsuit.
    I still love using my Cricuts and have been thinking about trying icing sheets with the cake. After reading this post, I may just run over to your site, watch more videos (possibly buy some), and prepare myself for an icing sheet purchase! MTC and my machine has enabled me to do cakes that I wouldn't have had the patience to do with a paper stencil and knife!
    Thanks so much for thinking outside the box and giving us cake decorators another "toy" to play with!
This discussion has been closed.