NEW VERSION OF PCS RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.1.0
Click here to learn more!

We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 25% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

You CAN back up NEW Silhouette designs from their online store

craftluv45craftluv45 Posts: 210Member
edited April 2011 in General
I was in the beta testing for Silhouette Studio, and though in the beginning there were problems (it was not even a hatched program then) I love my Silhouette, would not dream of getting rid of it, and love Silhouette Studio which I use all the time for Print and Cuts, which is what I bought the machine for.. it does a GREAT job at them, easily, as the Silhouette has that electronic eye feature that reads the little marks which tell the machine where the graphic is.

I've been concerned as many are saying you CAN NOT back up your libraries and purchases from the Sil Store.. you CAN.. This is what I received in an email from Brian Hubler who ran the Silhouette beta testing and development for Sihouette Studio before release. Take the files he suggests below and move them to an exterior drive. They are also working on developing a way of doing the backup from inside the software program itself, but this has not yet been released or installed. As a double check, I sometimes download all my files in the old Robomaster, as I cannot do .pdf's from Studio and like to have them there to work on, but Studio is great, and I use it all the time, and my purchased designs reside there in folders as with Robomaster the library folders were impossible to manage.

I'd hate to see anyone turned off about a Silhouette. It may cut a smaller area than some of the big machines, but I've been with mine for years now, and would NEVER be without it.. I'm as loyal to Silhouette, who gives EXCELLENT customer service, as I am loyal to MTC. The company of Silhouette is the best in my opinion! They spoiled me, after Silhouette Cricut was a RUDE awakening!

To backup your Silhouette files you purchased through Studio, and IN your library folders so they will come back the same, this is what Brian said to do:

----- Original Message -----
To: Trina M. Macko
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:58 AM

In regard to backing up your library, you can back up your library on your computer. We haven’t locked this ability. If you desire to make a manual back-up for the Silhouette Studio library, here is the response:

Mac: Please open your “Finder” program and go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8.

PC: Browse your computer to find C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8.

Please note that your library and structure is at the location noted above. If you wanted to back up your own library manually with the folder structure, you would need to save this entire folder with all sub-content without further opening it or making any adjustment. Upon re-installation, you could then copy the folder over the top of the newly installed program folder in of the same name in the same location. Please note that you would need to continue to back up this folder whenever any adjustments were made. This may of course be backed up for your own personal purposes, should you wish to maintain a local copy for yourself that includs your library’s structure.

Hope this helps those who are concerned their purchased designs that they pay for might be wiped forever. They can and are stored on YOUR computer, but in an emergency, thank God they are ALSO on the Silhouette server where you can download them all to recover if needed. If you have used up your 'times' to download and recover, call them and generally they will reset for you so you can download them all again. They have done if for me faithfully!

Trina M.

Comments

• Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Posts: 3,799Member
    Well I have to say I bought one and I can never get the stupid thing to read the registration marks either auto or manually I know it can as I have gotten it to a few times but for the most part nope it won't do it. I took it out yesterday again to try and got frustrated and put it away again it is the old one so maybe that is why but I would think it should still work
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Posts: 1,512Member
    edited April 2011
    Beanie - let me ask - the paper you used for your pnc - was it white, white, white? Did you try with the GP paper? Sometimes the actual paper used does make a difference in the machine's ability to read the marks. I'm so sorry you're frustrated with your machine, because generally most people have little difficulty getting it up and running. I think you should email silhouette america for help, because they are good at giving it.

Edit: Beanie - an additional thought - when you print to your printer for the printing part - is your driver in the printer setup for like a draft mode where it uses less ink? Or, is the printer hooked up to one of those CIS systems where the ink is less? It might be that the printer is not laying down enough ink on the printing part so that the machine can read the marks. You ought to play around with some of the driver settings to see what lays down more ink.

Trina - yes that folder can be backed up, and there's additional back up on the server, but that is good only as long as silhouette america keeps running the store. If the store closes down one day, the user is simply plain out of luck. In robomaster, the user has a way of backing up those images the user paid for, in an independent way that is not tied to the software. That's the difference. While I do not blame Silhouette America for the concern about their copyrighted images being released widely unauthorized, there is a way to give the user creative freedom by making a store version of the software and a non-store version of the software - with neither being able to interchange with each other - so that way the end user has the freedom to do anything wanted, and silhouette america is protected for their copyrights. I do not think anyone is going to be turned off from the silhouette by this situation, as it only pertains to store purchases. While many users of the silhouette love the store, I think many are like me that use up their freebies and never make another purchase, because there are so many other sources of design files over the internet that are either free, or with little cost that has no strings like purchases from the store. I'm not fond of the current situation, but it doesn't stop me from using the wonderful print & cut feature of the sil. I simply ignore the whole store aspect and all is good.

Pat
    Post edited by pigtailpat on
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
  • craftluv45craftluv45 Posts: 210Member
    I don't understand, Pat, you said that the user has no way of backing up the designs with the new software, but only in Robomaster? That's not true, in the writing I gave above it said, from Silhouette, what file to save to your hard drive external so you can back up. It is the same in Robomaster, you back up the folder with the designs. I don't have to be connected to the 'net and their servers as far as I know to use the software with my designs. So as long as I have a copy of Sil. Studio, on an exterior drive, I can reinstall it, then add the file with the designs I backed up, and have my library and designs back, exactly as in Robomaster. As far as I know, you could never open files just from the backup file without Robomaster as a stand alone design. You would not be able to 'see them' without it as they were .gsd. Sometimes there was an inability to get the icons to show, and you got the file names only on a restore, but there is a piece of sftware you can run as an icon generator that is supposed to recover those graphics for the library designs. Maybe I did not understand what you are saying above, but this is my understanding. For me, the online is a last ditch effort. The designs are in my computer, I can save them to my exterior drive, and just replace them in the Silhouette Studio if I have a system crash.

I had their unlimited subscription for two years, and up until this March got EVERY design they have, right now my subscription is more limited to 150 designs a month as the unlimited is twice the cost I was paying (I miss that unlimited, I could download everything they put up every week.) I now pay $16.99 a month for those 150 designs, and eagerly look forward to checking the 'new designs' every several days. It's like a little surprise in the mail for me.

They did tell me during beta that eventually RoboMaster will not work with thieir files and they will stop supporting it... and as we know, many of the new designs won't show up in RoboMaster when we download them. But you can import your files from RoboMaster into the Silhouette Studio, which is a plus, and Studio is that rare totally free program for anyone who wants it. For me it's just a great option to have a variety of files.

As far as the print and cut, I did at one time have trouble getting the cut to line up with the print, but with a little 'futzing' around of the numbers for the up and down orientation of the paper in the software to indicate where it should read the registration marks, I fixed it. The online manual or one in the software tells how to do that. Sorry you guys are having problems with that as it's wonderful for me. There are several Yahoo groups that you could join for Robmaster and Silhouette, too, that have been very helpful for me when I've had problems in the past. And, finally, I do NOT have the new SD version, but the older machine, and it chugs along beautifully, no problems for me... Again, if you have problems or questions, call them and don't give up, if you can resolve your issues and frustrations about it, it will be well worth it for print and cuts and their designs.
    Caveat: Sil did not say the OLD .gsd's will stop working when the stop support to Robomaster, just that they will not support it with problems regarding the new Studio files in Robomaster. They hae to initiate a cut off date sometime on supporting two software packages, and by that time Sil. studio should be fine tuned.

Added about cut and prints.. I did read somewhere that if you have an HP printer sometimes the printing is off somehow that the Sil has a bit of a problem with reading the graphics. But I have not to date had a problem with my HP, and as I said, the gals in the Yahoo groups have been very kind in helping to the point that I generally have no problems after discussing with the 'experts' over there.
    :bz
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Posts: 1,512Member
    Trina -

In robomaster, you can wholesale copy the "my library" files from the template folder, lift them to an external drive to back them up, re-name the files to .gsd, and then you have completely backed up files untied to the "my library." You can do this in one swoop, without having to open each individual file to give it a .gsd extension to untie it from the "my library" section.

On another thread, Gale had a great idea. As she purchases her files, she opens them in SS, and saves it as a .studio file off her main drive [ie to an external drive]. This way they are backed up as .studio files, also untied from the "my library" in studio, but, the kicker is it has to be done one at a time. There is no way to rename the individual files in the silhouette studio portion of my library [when you browse your computer], because it is encrypted by silhouette america.

So, apparently, you can do the same thing in studio, it just takes more work and discipline, but it can be done. Just remember, if you want files backed up untied to "my library" open your files as you download them from the store, save as .studio and save it to an external drive - that is backed up regularly [I have 2 externals, one for the files, one for backup].

Gale - a big thank you for bringing that to my attention on the other thread.

Pat
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
    Pat, you 'wholesale' the Sil. Studio library by saving the PC: Browse your computer to find C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8. file to an external drive... Info straigh from the developer and chief honcho at Silhouette, Brian Hubler... there is NO work and discipline involved. Please read the comment from Brian on another post... sometimes I think you don't like Silhouette at all. When you do this you back up your library structure. Files I MAKE myself I back up one at a time, not the entire library which you can do with the method named above. Hate to say it, your comments about Silhoutte seem to be very negative. I love mine, did the beta testing for Silhouette Studio and was in close contact with the developers all throughout. Please consider what you quote and say if you have not experienced it. The silhouette is a fine machine, the software has minor glitches, but backing up your files is NOT one of them.

If you lose your hard drive files and have to reformat, you just reinstall Sil. Studio when you recover, and install the file named above in the program folder, and your whole library and purchased files are back... don't know why you seem to want to make it difficult. I'm starting to get VERY annoyed.

And Silhouette is one of the machines that uses MTC, why anyone would want to bash Silhouette Studio so people are discouraged from buying one is beyond me... On Two Peas there are many positive comments. Their customer service is A class, them machines function well, and the software works in most areas very wonderfully. Small things are still in development, they hope soon to migrate into stores to sell in CA where I live, as I was also asked to be a sales rep., which I am not doing due to personal circumstances, so I get NO compensation for being in love with my machine or the Silhoutte family.
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Pat, you 'wholesale' the Sil. Studio library by saving the PC: Browse your computer to find C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8. file to an external drive...
    What is just the file name, please? My directory structure is not the same but I will do a search for the file if I know the name.

It looks like the name is com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8?? but that is an odd name so I just want to be sure. TIA.

In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
    craftluv, I think she really likes the Sil, has said so, and has said that she feels that it does great PnC (I think she uses it with FT). The machine she likes, but not so much the software (which is her prerogative) because it is somewhat limiting compared to other programs. I can understand that, and she is entitled her opinion.
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Posts: 3,799Member
    pat you know it may have been the paper it was sort of textured. but it was white
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    I named the file with the path from C Nelda, that is the file name, though odd... She is entitled to like or dislike any machine she likes or dislikes, but she seems to be constantly discussing things she has no knowledge of and therefore discouraging others who MIGHT like the machine. She does not speak correctly about this, nor, I doubt has looked up the file on her computer. As I said, the wording on the file location is directly from Brian Hubler at Silhouette, the exact location on C drive if you follow the path in the files structure. Info was sent to me during Silhouette Beta trials, I cut and pasted the information directly from the email I was sent, I have the file on MY computer as I asked them how to back it up when many in user groups were chatting about how they were worried they could not back up files they had paid for. Being able to back up the library structure with your files is a tremendous improvement over Robomaster, and they worked very hard on the library structure to bring that improvement to the software as they knew that is what customers desired. That is all I can say. If you have Silhouette Studio, please check it out in your system. I am not responsible for naming files, odd as they may be, and I'm starting to get very annoyed when people speak of what they know (not you Nelda), and they don't verify it through research, and discourage people from buying an MTC machine that is a great machine, and in a low price range that many may be more able to afford than a $599 machine and up (A silhouette is $289 or thereabouts on Overstock.com with LOW shipping, today shipping is free, or was yesterday, other times it's about $2.50 for your whole order) I do not work for Silhouette, though asked to sell the machines to stores in CA as were other beta testers invited. So I have no agenda in getting money for my enthusiasm here, just loyalty, and as much loyalty as we all do to MTC. Silhouette has treated me VERY well as far as my cutting needs go. It is an excellent machine, the software is fine, and if people have problems with it, I suggest they call Silhouette America to get help, not complain. Sorry if I sound grouchy about this, but bashing, which is going on here through downing of the software's ability to back up files and make people leery of the machine as a consequence of that, or of any machine is inappropriate. The software is fine, they are eager to help. And to constantly disagree when a person has documentation, emails and proof of the facts, directly from the developers, in writing, is just very odd. Someone also commented in this regard, in the same vein I am, about discussions on the Cougar this week. I have a right to be annoyed, I have facts and the proof, have posted the email in another thread with Brian Hublers name and 'signature' on the header. What else do I have to say about this file name to have people take this at HIS word, and mine? I feel as if my integrity is being questioned, please look for the other thread on Silhouette with Brian's comment and the email header. Check facts, not make suppositions. Thanks. I love my Silhouette, I love my Pazzles, and I also love the performance of my Cricut, though I do NOT like PC or the Cricut company. I have not been able to look my cricut in the 'face' since they treated MTC and Andy so abominally. It has not left my counter or had a piece of paper to chomp on in it's jaws for weeks. Pazzles joined my lineup at $99 plus a two year club membership due to my loyalty to Andy and MTC. I will depart with the comments now, long as they may be, but two words would not have resolved this issue cleanly and easily. Please look at your files systems on your computers if you have Silhouette Studio. And it would be appreciated if you commented afterwards stating that they are there, as they are, rather than deny when people have not looked. Silhouette trys VERY hard to be accomodating to its customers, just like Andy.
    Thanks, craftluv, I was able to find the file through search. As I said my directory is totally different, so I did a search for "aspexsoftware" and found it. I have backed it up and will continue to do so as I add files to my library.

I think my directory structure is different because I am using Vista. What is your OS?
    00.JPG
    902 x 226 - 49K
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,841Member
    craftluv45 - I think you are blowing this way out of proportion.. This whole conversation started with my question on how I could convert a paid file from Silhouette's store to MTC format. I had saved the file to the Silhouette software and then could not find it by name, nor could I print the file to PDF vector format. After several posts, we determined that if I downloaded using the Robomaster software, then I could find the file by name and print to vector PDF.

None of this had anything to do with the Silhouette machine or use of the Silhouette software for anything else, and no one was criticizing it.

The ease of backup is relevant, as the average user is not going to be able to find the files and copy them to another external drive, without your explicit information. I was able to do that with the Robomaster software without having to know anything special.

So none of these posts were ever meant to criticize the Silhouette machine, nor the design features of the software. Your comments to some of the posters were quite harsh and I suggest you reread all the original posts.
  • TerriMTerriM Posts: 254Member
    i suspect some of the confusion here is in terminology...

yes, you can backup the sil'studio library file to a backup drive...
    and then restore it to the program later if needed.

but what MANY (probably most) are actaully meaning when they say "back up the files" is that they want to get the the individual files out of that library to use in other programs and with other cutters. THAT is what can NOT be done.... and it is what people are shying away from.

As a standalone for someone who has/uses only the sil' cutter, the sil'studio program is a great option. But for others who like myself have many programs and multiple cutters, the program is too self-enclosed and proprietary to be complimentary to those other programs and cutters.

Many or maybe most of the members here have atleast a 2nd machine, and want the option to select what design they want to use, what program they want to use it in, and which machine to cut it with.

pc made the mistake of trying to dictate that their designs be used only with their cutter or their software... and of trying to dictate that their machine can cut only their designs.... and, well, we all know how the rest of that story went...

every user just needs to look at their own circumstances and determine what is best for them... whether it be which program, which cutter, or which shampoo...

• debzdebz Posts: 3,310Member
    Please don't shoot the messenger...

I went in to lurk mode for a bit because I didn't like some of the responses I saw people give others. If we have a problem or situation with someone, can we please, please take it to pm or email?

I would really like to see this board get back into using the machine (regardless of what it is) and showing off great designs and projects.

Sometimes it is hard to tell people's "tone" by the written word and so things can easily be misinterpreted.

Okay, I will shut up now.
    Deb
    http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/
    Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing
    Team KNK Designer
  • iggyloveriggylover Posts: 11,513Moderator
    Will everybody please take a step back and breath deeply? :O

Of course we understand loyalty here, but please remember, we like to keep this forum as drama-free as possible. :-D

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this...but until people really start taking Bryan's post to heart, I will plaster it all over the forum to help people remember...
    I have a challenge that I would like everyone to consider:
    Will you please think through, I mean really think through, before responding to a post? Ask yourself questions like:
    "Do I have something to contribute?"
    "Is my post going to be helpful, thoughtful, affirming, positive, useful, loving, etc.?"
    "Will my post make this forum a little bit better?"
    "Am I building up others with this post?"
    "Can my words be interpreted in a negative way?"
    Get my drift? If in doubt, don't post anything at all, or at least take some time away from your response before actually posting it, then come back after you've had time to think about it and re-read it.

Up until the discussions on the settlement started, what was one of the top things people said was great about this forum besides the great program Andy and Ann brought us? It was the sense of family and friendship and committment to help one another in anyway we could! This attribute of the MTC forum is certainly not gone, but I fear there might be a little bit of erosion taking place since the onslaught of emotions due to the lawsuit settlement. Take some time to look at this post and some of the other recent posts and maybe you can get a sense of what I'm talking about.

I hope you understand where I am coming from with this. Please, if you have any questions on what I'm trying to say, do not hesitate to let me know - in a PM, an email, or even here on the forum (though perhaps not this thread).

Would you please consider my challenge above? Let's get back to being a positive and helpful forum!

Bryan
    Thank you everyone,

Jeanette / iggy

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Jeanette in Orange County, CA
    Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy
    Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera

• galegale Posts: 97Member
    I can't get into that c:documents and settings folder (long story short-I forced my way in once and my computer hated me for it) but I found that file here:
    C:\Program Files\Silhouette Studio\Resources\resources
    and here:
    C:\ProgramData
    Thanks for that comment, Gale, I'll look there too as my computer has been giving me a problem in some regards.

This issue is just one of technical information:

To backup as a term means that you can take the files or data you have, copy it someplace else and have another copy... a file 'at your back' so that if you lose data you have it elsewhere and can recover or repair so you have what you lost.

What people above with wanting to take files and use them elsewhere is called 'export'. You take a file from one program, save it to that or another format, and can use it in another program or another way.

With Silhouette you were never able to take a .gsd into any other program and use it as a .gsd. You had to 'convert' the file by using .pdf programs to take a screen shot and then using the graphic, make it available to a program like MTC and re create the design and export to an .svg or MTC. SCAL has it's own format.. it did take .svg's and open them, but not save to them.

But unlike Cricut, Silhouette DOES allow you to take your .svg's, and open them in MTC, or create an .svg or other file and make it in MTC, and then SEND it to the Silhouette to cut... Cricut blocks us from doing that, we cannot use our machines with MTC. With Silhouette you can.

So, above, we have established (thank you Nelda) that we can SAVE the files we buy from Silhouette, in their .studio or .gsd format, so that we don't lose what we paid for, we can copy the file they 'live' in, and put it on an exterior drive and save the files and our libraries. We can save the files we make in Sil. Studio the same way.

Silhouette has a lot of money invested in selling their designs online right now, and they want to protect those designs they are selling (though there are always ways to cheat) from being dispensed in the crafting community by people trading them and giving them away in .svg or other formats without people having paid for them. That I fully understand, it's a copyright issue and they want to protect their material.

But things YOU create, and do it in MTC, can still be used in the Sil. and with other software programs such as Inkscape. You are not limited with those files that are also, through MTC, to be considered Silhouette compatible. The ONLY files you cannot use back and forth are THEIR files, which they aouthor, and have a right to protect. If you can save them, and back them up, I see absolutely no problem with this. You are not forbidden to use the MACHINE with other software.

We all have our preferences of machines, but we all also have, I believe, an obligation to say when we do not know something, or we do. If I do not know or understand something, I say that. I am not a guru in the cutting field and readily admit that too. When I don't know something and someone has a question, generally because of her great knowledge, and because I respect her greatly, I refer them to Julie Flanagan who runs the MTC Tuts group, has MUCH experience in the cutter field in business, and is a world and fountain of knowledge. When I have facts in front of me that are documented and from a reliable, verifiable source, I do not contradict them and imply the person giving the facts is dumb, or wrong, or misinformed. I just go look elsewhere for the information, research it myself, and verify if the information is right or incorrect. Only then do I come back and challenge what another has stated, and engage in a debate or discussion on the information first raised. I do not like to speak without authority or data or evidence to back me up, and when someone presents that to me, would be very wrong to try to assert my own views based only on personal opinion. Techniecal data is technical data, it's not an issue of opinon, but of fact.

Anyone can like any machine they like, that is an issue of preference. But to discuss a mcahine or a person with lack of information or fact, and say the machine or person is bad or undesirable without a substantial reason or data is very unfair. It's akin to 'gossip' about a machine.

Was my post helpful? Yes I believe it was, and fought to have the correct information brought out to help potential purchasers and owners of Silhouettes understand something not generally known and bring helpful information to them and share it: You CAN back up your files, those you create or Silhouettes', that are in .studio format, just like you could .gsd's. You will LOSE no data using that machine, that is my point and the only point I was trying to make, and it seems, that was not understood and contradicted. I fought, despite opinions to the contrary, that were not factually true or technically correct, to have what the truth is on this issue told. Documentation and facts are documentation and facts.

Now everyone knows you can back up your designs in Silhouette from this discussion, and in that regard I think it was a valuable one. But let's talk about what we KNOW, not what we do not know, or just suppose, and in the end bash a perfectly good machine or person without the facts to back it up.

I may not LIKE that a Cougar costs $599, and I can't afford it, but I do not go around saying it is a bad machine because in that one regard it's an aspect not acceptable to me. I have no right to discuss Cougar's or Lynx, Gazelles, or even the Pazzles I just bought as I do not know those machines or their associated software well, and I would not presume to, it would only lead people astray, and be unfair to those manufacturers or buyers and owners who love those machines. Actually, if I had my way, I'd have one of each, but that is another issue! :)

My point is, guys, let's just be careful to make the distinction between what we KNOW, and what we think we know, or what is strictly opinion. People are spending a lot of money for machines and transitioning out of the Cricut, we do not want them to buy under false information, or miss an opportunity because of false information, and be the cause of them making a choice they might regret.. Machines are too expensive to replace on a whim. And like with software we can't use and have hard dollars in (and like the Cricut) we do not like it when our money is spent foolishly or wasted. Let's give people the information they can use, that is truthful and reliable, and that they can depend on. That and giving proper data is my ONLY desire, and should be the one of all of us, in my opinion. We can say hello, we can visit, but when talking about data, let us not engage in speculation to lead anyone astray. When facts are right in front of our faces, either accept it, or research it, as Nelda did, to determine the truthfulness of the issue. Don't just say something is truth when you don't really know that, or your credibility suffers and the credibility of this whole forum for MTC suffers if people who come here think the individuals giving advice here don't know what they are talking about. They come here for truth and accuracy, let's give it to them.

Thanks and have a good day... don't forget the Facebook boycott site or to refer people to the video. The video on You Tube now has 5,198 views since 3/24/2011, you can find it at: if you have not seen it; the boycott Provocraft site is on facebook at this link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hpskip#!/BoycottProvoCraft

Add these URL's to your email signatures to urge others to go to both! We still have lots of work to be done to let our cause be known! Send out letters, emails, and protests to Cricut, PC and various news media. This will all not be done in a day, and we are several thousand strong, but need even more supporters who are out there and will be willing!

Have a good day, Craftluv45
    The video itself with just popped up on the screen when I posted the link in text so you could copy it... don't know how to give it in text so you can just copy and paste, so I'll do it here by adding a -0 in front of the http:/ so that it won't fip to You Tube automatically. Link to add to your signatures for the You Tube video is here (don't forget to deduct the -0 in front of it when you paste to your signatures or emails, it's the unnecessary and added part: -0 Copy ONLY the part after the 0 to get the address. We have lots of work to do here, I'm willing to do it, we need to be persistent as terriers and work at this, maybe for a long time, but we CAN make a difference, I know it! Hugs...
    Darned, did it with the video again..sorry, if you want the URL for it, click on the video and get it there, I give up! (Well, at least you get to see it twice! I have it on my computer and play it while I work.. it gives me VERVE and energy! Puma MUMA!
  • KelleyPKelleyP Posts: 1Member
    nelda and craftluv45 - I'm looking for the library directory, too. I'm using Windows 7 and do not have a "Documents and Settings" folder. I did find a hidden "ProgramData" directory with a folder "com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8". I am assuming that I need all the files and folders under that to have a complete backup, yes? nelda, you're using Vista, I believe. craftluv45, are you using XP? I am using two different computers and would like to keep them in sync but maybe it will just make more sense to just use the one. Choices, choices......
  • cajuncajun Posts: 375Member
    I am new to the forum but I have to say im right there with you craftluv45 on loving my silhouette. I purchased mine as a side hobby but very soon after I recieved I recieved it I started making money the silhouette has paid for itself at least 6 times over in vinyl work I have made and sold with it. Im not a scrapbooker I only do vinyl. Yes it is a smaller cutting area but I learned to break apart my designs and cut them. Over time my customers started wanting larger wall art. That is when I purchased the expert 24 in which I really like but when its a option I always use my silhouette first. I have never tried backing up any designs in design studio because I have not purchased many from them yet. When a customer asks for something I cant make myself I turn to Gary Dewitt with sign torch I love his designs his work is wonderful. I purchased make the cut recently when I heard all that happened and decided to purchase just to help out. Never did I expect to fall in love with make the cut as I have it has everything we need for cutting all packed in one program without all the extras we dont need. Im just hoping for larger cutting area soon so I can put it to use with my expert 24.
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,029Member
    I continue to be amazed by this machine! I bought it just for P&C and reserved most cutting for my Gazelle. I recently cut a tiny, intricate design with the Sil (after my Gazelle chewed up the card stock) and it was perfect. This little machine is a work horse. I love it!
    In NC cutting with a Cameo, 18" BC Cougar, & Pazzles Vue
    Oh, so glad you love it, there is another discussion further up on the posts in the General topic that discusses the machine and paper for doing print and cuts... GREAT for them...

Yes, Kelly, I do have XP
  • vsnursevsnurse Posts: 7Member
    Hello everyone. I have a question for someone. First let me say I love my Silhouette!! I work only with vinyl. I have personally found that the vinyl from kwickuts is MUCH better than the vinyl from Silhouette. I do understand that I might in the future have a problem with getting vinyl from them. Does anyone have a suggestion where to get the 9'' vinyl.
  • SewsnazzySewsnazzy Posts: 1,149Member
    edited September 2011
    Love my silhouette!!! I do not understand how to change .sil files to gsd or .dxf. I'm totally confused after reading this thread. Is it possible and if it is, please give step by step instructions. I downloaded craft robo but I still do not understand . Too much information figure it out. I have windows 7, if that is important.
    Thanks,
    Peggy

I figured it out!!!
    Post edited by Sewsnazzy on
    Peggy
    edited September 2011
    I do remember one of the company reps (or maybe a customer?) saying that the larger companies will cut rolls to what ever size you want. Try http://www.uscutter.com/, there are a few other companies as well that might. I use 24" rolls and cut off 9" at a time for use. I rarely cut something longer than 24".
    Hello everyone. I have a question for someone. First let me say I love my Silhouette!! I work only with vinyl. I have personally found that the vinyl from kwickuts is MUCH better than the vinyl from Silhouette. I do understand that I might in the future have a problem with getting vinyl from them. Does anyone have a suggestion where to get the 9'' vinyl.
    Post edited by nelda on
  • camillecamille Posts: 2Member
    Is there any way to get robomaster to cut to a craft robo proS ?
  • camillecamille Posts: 2Member
    Sorry, I ment the Shillouette Studio to print to a craft robo proS ?
  • hgillbankshgillbanks Posts: 2Member
    RE: backup of purchased files.

Does anyone have the path for Windows7? The path supplied by the lovely people above appears to be for Vista and XP. I am a computer professional, and all I see when I use the search terms aspexsoftware or the full filename take me to a folder which is nowhere near large enough (nor does it contain nearly enough items) for me to believe it is the correct backup directory.

As an IT professional, I agree with the post above which differentiated between a backup and an export. There is a significant difference. If I was going to take the time to export all the files, I would certainly also back them up. :)

"Save early - save often" applies to backups, too! You cannot do it too often (I use Mozy online daily backup, but external drives are also handy).

Heather in Houston
    RE: backup of purchased files.

Does anyone have the path for Windows7? The path supplied by the lovely people above appears to be for Vista and XP. I am a computer professional, and all I see when I use the search terms aspexsoftware or the full filename take me to a folder which is nowhere near large enough (nor does it contain nearly enough items) for me to believe it is the correct backup directory.

As an IT professional, I agree with the post above which differentiated between a backup and an export. There is a significant difference. If I was going to take the time to export all the files, I would certainly also back them up. :)

"Save early - save often" applies to backups, too! You cannot do it too often (I use Mozy online daily backup, but external drives are also handy).

Heather in Houston
    C:\ProgramData\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8

This is where it is on my computer running Win 7. Hope this helps. BTW, I did have to opt to "show" hidden files. You probably already knew that :).
  • dhayes62dhayes62 Posts: 2Member
    Has anyone actually gotten the backup to work? I find the file com.aspexsoftware fine and copied it to a flash drive and, just to test it, copied that file to my laptop to see if the folders/contents would be there...and they aren't. Are there two copies of this same file? I found mine in Program Data (x86)\Silhouette\Resources\Resources. I am using both an Windows 7 & Windows XP and the file structure is basically the same.
    The instructions came straight from Silhouette support. Why not try giving them an email about it? They are usually very helpful and responsive.
    edited January 2012
    I found mine in Program Data (x86)\Silhouette\Resources\Resources. I am using both an Windows 7 & Windows XP and the file structure is basically the same.
    I have that same file in that same location. It isn't the one that you want. You're right - there are two. The one you want isn't in the subfolder of silhouette (resources).

You want to copy the folder com.aspexsoftware.silhouette_studio.8 that is a subfolder of program data.

If you haven't selected "show hidden files" (windows explorer -> tools -> folder options), you'll need to in order to see the correct folder to copy.

Using that file, I've transferred the library back and forth between my 2 computers with no problems.
    Post edited by elliott37 on
  • dhayes62dhayes62 Posts: 2Member
    THANK YOU - it worked! It was finding that second (hidden) file that was the problem.
  • hgillbankshgillbanks Posts: 2Member
    You need to go to the directory C:\ProgramData\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 in Windows 7. The directory exists in Program Files as well, but there are no library files, there, in Win7. Hope this helps!
    dhayes62 said:

Has anyone actually gotten the backup to work? I find the file com.aspexsoftware fine and copied it to a flash drive and, just to test it, copied that file to my laptop to see if the folders/contents would be there...and they aren't. Are there two copies of this same file? I found mine in Program Data (x86)\Silhouette\Resources\Resources. I am using both an Windows 7 & Windows XP and the file structure is basically the same.

• SydneysMomSydneysMom Posts: 1,860Member

You need to go to the directory C:\ProgramData\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 in Windows 7. The directory exists in Program Files as well, but there are no library files, there, in Win7. Hope this helps!

I am running Win7 on my laptop and I was able to locate C:\ProgramData.... I went to my Gateway desktop that was running Win7 Home Premium Version and downloaded the Sil Stud software but when I got ready to copy the backup library there I couldn't find C:\Program Data.... It only has Program Files and Program Files (X86) in the C directory. Does anyone know where to put this file?

*** 24 Inch Black Cat Cougar For Sale – SOLD
    *** Silhouette SD For Sale - Please PM me if interested ***
  • DaniaDania Posts: 65Member
    Something has changed. I've been backing my files to my second computer for a while now and tonight I noticed that my recent downloads aren't transferring. I did a reconciliation between computers and about 40 files won't transfer over. Has Sil blocked this ability?
  • maliamalia Posts: 380Member
    I am trying to do this again to update lib. I cannot get it to work again. I am going from win 7 to windows xp. Can we still do this or has it been blocked somehow?
  • KimKim Posts: 2,465Member
    I do this all the time. I use Windows 7 so I go to C:\Program Data\comasp...Studio8 and copy the whole folder to my external hard drive.
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tigger the Black Cat Cougar 24" - the cat with attitudeTM
    As Yet Un-named Silhouette Cameo
    Hot Stuff the Foil Master
This discussion has been closed.