NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Silhouette SD cutter - questions, concerns, problems, results

Comments

• neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I ordered the red (pink?) click blade holder form Sherri at http://thatsscrapinc.com/clickholder.aspx and can report that it works very well in the Silhouette. This holder uses the Roland blades (same ones that the cr***t uses), and I have quite a few of them. I cut the GP cardstock at a setting of 4, it cut very cleanly. I am happy to have this simply because of the cost in savings with blades.

BTW, there is also an aluminum blade holder that I have heard about. Can anyone report back on it? What type of blades does it use?

I just got Cutter Glide (thanks Juliefes!) and I coated all the blades that I had on hand. I'll get back on how well that works. It was only about $11 (I have free shipping though) at Overstock.com.
    Post edited by nelda on
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • SydneysMomSydneysMom Posts: 1,860Member
    Nelda - congrats on your holder! I haven't had a chance to actually cut with mine yet. When cutting GP cardstock what cut settings did you use in Silhouette? The setting of 4 was that in the program or was that on your click holder? You can also adjust how far the blade sticks out by loosing the screw between #1 and #2 with an allen wrench. I had to adjust the blade on my Cougar click holder because at #1 the blade was not sticking out.

By the way, I read on Silhouette Plus forum that you can use the food cutting mats found at the dollar store. Each pack comes with 2 mats for $1. You just cut the thin cutting mat down to size and use the same methods for resticking the crapcut mats. I bought 11 packs at dollar tree so that's 22 mats!!
    *** 24 Inch Black Cat Cougar For Sale – SOLD
    *** Silhouette SD For Sale - Please PM me if interested ***
  • wendywendy Posts: 88Member
    Deb,
    You just flew over my head!..where is the inset line found in Silhouette studio?
  • ThymeThyme Posts: 2,519Member

BTW, there is also an aluminum blade holder that I have heard about. Can anyone report back on it? What type of blades does it use?
    Nelda, are you referring to our detailed blade holder? If so that will fit your silhouette too.
    It takes a very very fine blade, so it is well suited to cutting very small detailed items.
  • pigtailpatpigtailpat Posts: 1,511Member
    Hi Dawn -

I am pretty sure that Nelda was referring to the SGS holder that has been discussed on the silhouette lists. BUT, that is SUCH COOL news to know that your detailed holder will ALSO FIT the silhouette. Simply incredible......but very bad for my purse...
    Cuts with Gazelle, PNC with silhouette.
    Hi Dawn -

I am pretty sure that Nelda was referring to the SGS holder that has been discussed on the silhouette lists. BUT, that is SUCH COOL news to know that your detailed holder will ALSO FIT the silhouette. Simply incredible......but very bad for my purse...
    I will accept info on all holders - but I think Pat is right - it is the one they have been discussing on the Yahoo Group. I think it takes Graphtec blades (about $3 each they say) and costs $25 or so for the holder. There is a thread there now and they say it works very well.

Good to know about the detail holder, I am sure Pat will be able to report back later on how the detail blade and holder work (hehe!) If I know her at all, I think she will be very interested in "detailed and intricate" cutting - she is a very "discriminating" crafter. But not picky by any means, of course!
    Nelda - congrats on your holder! I haven't had a chance to actually cut with mine yet. When cutting GP cardstock what cut settings did you use in Silhouette? The setting of 4 was that in the program or was that on your click holder?
    I changed the software setting to "Medium card stock" and used that for the software (and maybe speed 5 and then 30 on pressure? I don't remember, I took what it plugged in) and the 4 setting on the holder itself. New blade. I tired 3 first but it did not cut through so I changed to 4.

• sandyhsandyh Posts: 572Member
    Does anyone one know where to get the click holders that fit in the Silhouette in Australia? I know Karen is a distributor but I don't have her email address to send her a private message....Karen are you out there? lol
    Cutting with Zing and Cameo
    http://sandysartspace.blogspot.com

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!!!
    Here you go -
    Karen Strong
    cutabovecrafts@bigpond.com
  • JulesJules Posts: 839Member
    Nelda - does the click blade holder allow you to cut thicker card stock than the silhouette blade and holder? That's the only thing I don't like about the silhouette, I have some lovely card stock it won't cut.
    Julie in Dorset, UK - across the pond.
    edited April 2011
    Nelda - does the click blade holder allow you to cut thicker card stock than the silhouette blade and holder? That's the only thing I don't like about the silhouette, I have some lovely card stock it won't cut.
    So far I have only tried the GP brand (110#). What type or brand are you thinking of? I can pick some up and get back to you on how it cuts.

At the 6 setting, the blade does really stick ot. Maybe I will try some cereal box weight cardboard and see if it will cut that.

I picked up some flexible cutting boardds (from the Kitchen Dept.) 2 for $1 today. They are 12"x15"so perfect size to cut down for a mat. I already have the repositionable spray. I'll let you know how it works.

(editted for some bad typos, lol!)
    Post edited by nelda on
    Thanks for Karen's email, Thyme.

:)

• debzdebz Posts: 3,304Member
    edited April 2011
    Deb,
    You just flew over my head!..where is the inset line found in Silhouette studio?

you'll end up with two lines. Make sure to delete the outside one. .02 seems to work good for me, but play around with the settings until you get what you like. :)
    Screen shot 2011-04-11 at 4.35.26 PM.png
    1280 x 718 - 162K
    Post edited by debz on
    Deb
    http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/
    Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing
    Team KNK Designer
    So I used the heavier mat that came with the Silhouette today. I'm a little confused. On the thinner mat you peel off the middle section to expose the sticky part of the mat and you can see the paper alignement marks. However in order to see the alignment marks on the heavier mat you have to peel away the middle protective sheet as well as the thin strips on the side. When I peel away the thin strips on the side it's sticky. It ran through the machine just fine though. Can anyone clarify?
    Inspired by Nelda, I did some paper testing of my own with Canon matte paper for photos and crafts, Georgia Pacific cardstock, Staples Brochure Matte paper and Staples Brochure High Gloss Paper. Let me say that I liked the Staples Brochure High Gloss paper the best. The colors were very bright and vivid. However, DO NOT stick this on your mat to cut. You will never be able to peel it off your mat!!! I learned this the hard way as I had no idea that the glossy paper would react to the mat in this manner. I had to soak my mat for 10 mins then the paper came off. Lesson learned! It is great for doing printable tags and cupcake toppers for treats but use a hand punch or paper cutter.

My second favorite was the Staples Brochure Matte paper. Color was very vibrant and not grainy. The Georgia Pacific cardstock was also nice but the colors had a different look. The blues were not as bright and appeared grainy. I printed all the papers on my Canon printer. The Canon matte paper for photos and crafts had similar results as Georgia Pacific so I wouldn't waste my money on it because it is more expensive.
    SilhouetteNewbie (aka CricutNewbie), thanks for your review of the paper! I have some Staples brochure paper (gloss white) but I have not tried it yet, so I will keep that in mind. It is also nice to know the Staples paper performed so well since it is one of the cheaper options.

I have not used the heavy mat yet but I read somewhere in the manual that the strips are just to keep the rollers clean. If it is covered with paper, it should not matter, but I would save the little strips (or use tape) so that the rollers do not get gunky.
    edited April 2011
    Nelda - don't try the glossy paper on your mat. I would say about 90% of the paper backing stuck to that mat!! It was a disaster!!! However, the graphics printed out great! :-)) Wish I could only peel that sucker off after I cut it. Good thing I didn't wait until I had a project to do to try it out!

I think that I will peel back enough of the strip on the heavy mat to expose the paper aligment marks and keep the remaining strip on there to keep the rollers clean.

I should really change my name. I don't like the sound of CricutNewbie anymore. SilhouetteCougarNewbie perhaps!!
    Post edited by SydneysMom on
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,007Member
    The same thing happened with me when I first tried using glossy brochure paper (HP). I tried using it the second day I had the Sil and, you're right, at least 90% of the emulsion stuck to the mat. I thought it was because I'd used the wrong one. It took a lot of soaking & scrubbing to clean that thing.
    I've used the same paper on the thicker mat and it's worked fine, but this was after I'd used that mat for over a month and it had lost some of the tack. I bought 2 more of the thick mats, but am using the "well used" mat for the glossy stuff.
    In NC cutting with a Cameo & 18" BC Cougar
    Thanks to Julie and Jin in the webinar this morning I finally got my new Silhouette SD to cut from MTC. Even though I had installed the driver I apparently needed to also install the Graphtec controller, there was a setting in there which I had to uncheck in order for it to work, hope this is useful to others that may be having problems. Jin mentioned also that it was a "pain" to have to put in all the settings again every time you start a new session in MTC, but I found you can save your settings within the printer properties to a file and just reload it when you go to cut. I think a Plug in for the Silhouette in MTC would still be much easier though [-O< (Pretty please Andy)!!!!

Elliott37 - thanks for the info. I will wait to try it again. Have you tried buying a cheap cutting mat at the dollar store to make your mats? I bought a bunch and will try to make a mat soon and give an update. Perhaps if I sticky the home made mat with a Zig 2 Way glue pen it won't have the same effect on the glossy paper.

SandyH - I have yet to try to cut anything from MTC. I've been having too much fun doing print and cut only. Can you point me to the driver and the Graphtec controller that I need to download?
  • craftluv45craftluv45 Posts: 210Member
    Wow, that paper at Staples looks great! I went in about 2 weeks ago looking for presentation brochure paper and all the guy I spoke to knew about was the one in the yellow package, and it seemed expensive.. how much is the paper in the blue/purple pkg? Love my sil for print and cuts, it's the best! And like the detail of the scalloped border shows above, it's really great at detail cuts!
  • craftluv45craftluv45 Posts: 210Member
    http://www.staples.com/HP-Inkjet-Brochure-Paper-Matte/product_863630?cmArea=SEARCH

At this link on the staples site they have HP matte brochure paper, at 100 sheets for $25, but oddly when I did a search on the Staples brand I can't find that... weird. Anyone know the price and product number? The HP is only 48 pound, at least 60 would be stiffer! What is the pound, thickness on the Staples, please? Maybe they have it in the store if not online. I'll look, thanks for the tip. I used to use a GREAT paper for print and cuts, they used to have it in Walmart. The brand was Great White matte with a shark on the package, but they don't sell it any more... I loved it! Again, a bit lighter than I wanted, but great for mounting on a card or whatever with the spongy sticky things.
    edited April 2011
    The Staples paper - I have it here in front of me - in the purple package (I couldn't find it on-line either). see pics below.

Brochure and Flyer Paper
    matte white
    double-sided
    8 mil 170 gsm
    Item # 610488

It was about $25 for 150 sheets, last purchased on 12-28-10 (I mark my boxes with price and when purchased).

If you have a Sam's near you, I would recommend that you check out the Royal Brites matte photo paper, it is as good as the Staples and cheaper. 100 shts/$11. The link shows 200 shts and out of stock but my Sam's had it stocked and 100 sheets. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=164564&navAction=jump

Royal Brites
    matte photo paper
    double-sided
    9 mil 200 gsm

ETA photos
    00.JPG
    412 x 239 - 22K
    0000a.JPG
    611 x 289 - 38K
    0000a.JPG
    611 x 289 - 38K
    Post edited by nelda on
  • paupau04paupau04 Posts: 4,771Member
    Staples has the HP Everyday Semigloss paper, 50 sheets for 9.99 with an easy rebate of 8.99, so the final price is $1.00. Its not a heavy stock, but gets good color quality. Is limited to 2 but I pick it up whenevr its on sale.
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!!

http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
    Staples has the HP Everyday Semigloss paper, 50 sheets for 9.99 with an easy rebate of 8.99, so the final price is $1.00. Its not a heavy stock, but gets good color quality. Is limited to 2 but I pick it up whenevr its on sale.
    It is on sale now? If not, would you mind posting when you see it on sale?

I wonder if this will stay stuck to the mat as well, like the other semi-gloss.

• KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    The FB friends of silhouette, new and old owners are begging for tutorials! You should go help and/or direct towards MTC.
    Missouri
    The FB friends of silhouette, new and old owners are begging for tutorials! You should go help and/or direct towards MTC.
    I could not find that FB page, would you mind posting a link?
    00.JPG
    682 x 676 - 76K
  • KarenPKarenP Posts: 4,028Member
    edited April 2011
    Here Nelda. I had a hard time find them too originally. I think I did it from their WWW finally. Go get'm and pull'em in (help them too of course). They will love your blog and projects.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Silhouette/175350378892
    Post edited by KarenP on
    Missouri
  • HappyMommy2_4HappyMommy2_4 Posts: 139Member
    Help....I'm trying to do print and cut. I followed Jin's blog and traced. It cuts fine but always cuts out the rectangle where I selected the trace. How do I get it to just cut out my printed part and not the rectangle around it? thanks.
    Shelley
  • HappyMommy2_4HappyMommy2_4 Posts: 139Member
    Duh! Watched Jin's video again and I finally "heard" the part about going to cut line settings. I have to stop trying to learn new things in the middle of the night :)

Now if I could just figure out how to eliminate the very minute white edge of the right side of my PnC I'd be good.
    Shelley
  • MonBonMonBon Posts: 4Member
    Hi everyone. So, I've been trying to get caught up on all the information you have posted about the Silhouette. There is so much information that is far over my head! You all sound so knowledgeable!
    Can someone explain to me in the most simple of terms and spell out all the abbreviations (like GP, I have no idea what that is) my blade options for my Silhouette?
    I bought it used, and have already gone through 2 blades in just 3 uses. Ridiculous, huh?
    What are the alternatives? I read about the red blade holder, but I don't quite understand what blades go with it. Does it have it's own blade? Do I replace the plastic blade holder in my Silhouette?
    I know these things probably sound so lame to some of you who sound so knowledgeable, but I'm clueless!
    Thanks for your help.
    MonBon - I think the GP that you are referring to is the Georgia Pacific white cardstock that you can get a ream for cheap at Walmart or Sam's. As for the Silhouette holder it comes with 3 colored caps that change the amount of blade that is exposed. Blue cap cuts the lightest materials. The yellow cap exposes more of the blade so you can cut heavier material and the last cap is the red cap which cuts things like patterned paper and heavy cardstock. If you are use to the adjustable click holder that the cricut uses then I would purchase the adjustable Silhouette click holder (has numbers 1 to 6 that corresponds with the amount of blade that protrudes) for Thatsscrapinc.com. The blades that fit in the click holder are cricut blades and Roland blades which can be found for cheap on ebay. Hope that helps. You should not be going through 2 blades in 3 uses. Perhaps someone can tell you why.
    Food cutting mats for use in Silhouette:

I read that some people were having problems using the cheap cutting mats that come in 2 per package. I tested the ones that I purchased at Dollar Tree, which may be a different brand, and have had no problems with them. They feed into the machine just fine. I do not have to push the mat in at all. I do have to hold it up slightly to allow the mat to feed into the machine because I left the mat long. Other than that no probs. Here's a pic of the ones that I purchased:

http://www.dollartree.com/kitchen-tableware/kitchen-supplies/flexible-cutting-mats/213c266c266p298600/index.pro

• MonBonMonBon Posts: 4Member
    SydneysMom- Thank you so much! It is so much easier when you've got people to help you! Where do you purchase the blades for the Click Holder?
    Now, I notice from your other post that you use those dollar tree cutters? How do you use them? You glue your things down?
    Sydney's Mom - I used some from The Christmas Tree Shop, not the Dollar Tree. I did not try those, I will have to check them out. Thanks for the info!

The blades for the click holder are available on ebay, the vendor I have used is seikitech:
    http://shop.ebay.com/seikitech/m.html?_nkw=roland&amp;_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A4930&amp;rt=nc&amp;_sticky=1&amp;_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&amp;_sop=1&amp;_sc=1
    MonBon - no problem. I purchase my Roland blades on ebay. Just put in "roland blades" in the search box and a bunch of companies will come up. I purchased from a company on ebay called Seikitech. Some of the other forum members had problems receiving a couple of blades that didn't fit the holder and they were able to exchange them. Out of 15 blades that I purchased only 2 were too big. They are much cheaper than purchasing the Cricut blades at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

As for the food cutting mats from Dollar Tree. I use my Silhouette mat and lay it on top of the food cutting mat and trace and outline of it. Then I trim the food cutting mat following the outline that I just made. Then using painters tape, tape out the side where the rollers would naturally run and spray some repositionable advesive or use a broad tip Zig 2 Way glue pen and voila! You have a new cheap cutting mat for your machine. There are other methods of making your mat sticky.

http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/14810
    Nelda - you're welcome and I took your advice and changed my screen name from CricutNewbie. I didn't want to have any type of association with PC! ;-)
  • paupau04paupau04 Posts: 4,771Member
    HP Everyday Semi Gloss paper. The sales over and I am late posting, but this usually goes on sale every 2-3 weeks. This paper also comes in a Disney package with Donald Duck as well as the woman and child in the flowers
    http://www.staples.com/HP-Everyday-Photo-Paper-8-1-2-x-11-Semi-gloss-50/product_809757
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!!

http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/

Can someone explain to me in the most simple of terms..... my blade options for my Silhouette?
    Let me address what I know about this subject (I am faily new to the Silhouette but have visited in the Silhouette users yahoo group some to gather info).

1. The original blade holder and caps. You can purchase replacement blades for about $13. You can also purchase the entire set (blade, holder, and caps) for about $32.

2. The click blade holder from http://thatsscrapinc.com/clickholder.aspx. I have this blade holder and use it without any problems. The blades it uses are the same as the cricut, the Gazelle and the BC line: Roland blades. Link above shows where I have purchased them from.

3. An aluminum blade holder from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567251512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_744wt_905 I have not used this holder and cannot give you much more info. The members of the Silhouetteusers group speak highly of it. It uses the Graphtec blades, which are about $3 each. (http://cgi.ebay.com/6pc-graphtec-blade-cutting-plotter-vinyl-cutter-CB09-/160549962869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561860475#ht_1109wt_905)

4. ThatScrap also offers a detail holder http://thatsscrapinc.com/replacementbladeholder.aspx. I have not used it and cannot comment on it. The blades are $17 each. http://thatsscrapinc.com/45degreedetailblade.aspx

Nelda - you're welcome and I took your advice and changed my screen name from CricutNewbie. I didn't want to have any type of association with PC! ;-)
    Ah ha! I did not recognize you. Now I know who you are.

Hee hee. I went into stealth mode :-D
    Hello I didn't recognise you either!
  • bbonkobbonko Posts: 908Member
    I plan to set up my Silhouette tomorrow (today). That's good for me...it took me 10 months to get my Gazelle set up, and that was with Julie's help. Does the machine/software work with Windows 7? 64 bit?
    Thanx.
    Brenda B
    Longview, WA
    Duh! Watched Jin's video again and I finally "heard" the part about going to cut line settings. I have to stop trying to learn new things in the middle of the night :)

Now if I could just figure out how to eliminate the very minute white edge of the right side of my PnC I'd be good.
    I did the SAME thing. I eliminate the white edge by putting an inset line between .01-.02 and deleting the outer line. It seems to take care of it.

:) deb

Deb
    Team KNK Designer
    I already lost one of the little holders. I put them on the little stand and it disappeared. I'm pretty much only using the pink one though, since I only use cardstock for the pnc. So watch those little buggers.

Guess I'd better look into the Roland blades. These are the same ones that one can use in the expression, no?
    Deb
    Team KNK Designer
    Guess I'd better look into the Roland blades. These are the same ones that one can use in the expression, no?
    Yes, if you get the click holder from http://thatsscrapinc.com/clickholder.aspx, these will use the Roland blades (like the crciut uses). Also, according to Dawn, this holder can also be used in the BC line of cutters (you may need to put some tape around it since it is slightly smaller).
    Thanks Nelda, that is correct
  • galegale Posts: 97Member
    Sorry if this was mentioned but which of the Roland blades do you use for general purpose cutting? Will they cut fabric in the Silhouette too (I have the fabric interfacing-the sew on kind).

I have that too. I think someone said to make sure the shape is all the way in from the gray areas. I haven't tried it again yet.
    Gale, I use either the 45 or the 60 degree. I believe the 60 degree is supposed to be better for thicker items and also more detailed things. That is what I have read and I have not had any problems using it that way.
    Thanks Nelda. After buying the click holder (which I have not yet but I'm going to) I only want to get one pack of blades so I'll get the 60.
This discussion has been closed.