NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Yes, The Cricut DOES still work with your current MTC!!!!!!

CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
edited April 2011 in General
HI Everyone,

Several of you have contacted me and ask If I would clear up some rumors flying around facebook and other sites that mtc will no longer work with their cricuts, even though they already owned it. This is not true. Your current version DOES and WILL still work with MTC as long as you do not update. I just tested it myself. However future versions of MTC regretfully will not per Andy's post here on the forum which can be found here http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/13597/effective-immediately.../p1 . If you still have questions Ann has stated you can email her at support@make-the-cut.com and she will answer you to the extent she is able to.

If you are just now wanting to buy MTC then NO, it doesn't include the ability to cut to the cricut. MTC works with many other cutters though including the Black Cat Cougar, Black Cat Lynx, Gazelle, Craft Robo, Silhouette, E craft, US cutter MH series and Laser cut, and any cutter using a HPGL printing support. Check back often if your cutter isn't listed as many more will be added in the future per Andy's post. If you have a cutter that you would like to work with MTC then you can always drop Andy an email at support@makethecut.com to see if he's able to. EDITED 4/4/11 PLEASE do not email them about the Pazzle. They are already working with them on making it compatible with MTC.

I hope this clears up the confusion. For those of you who contacted me about this feel free to repost this message anywhere you need to. Also if you are upset about this as much as we are please be sure to join the Boycott Provo Craft facebook page.

Hugs,
Christy
Post edited by CaseysAngel on
Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/
Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• rachellann_ID714rachellann_ID714 Posts: 10,251Banned
    Thank you very much Christy.

image image
    Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter

http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp

http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/

My Blog is:
    http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/

• Shannon_CorbinShannon_Corbin Posts: 1,601Member
    Thanks for the clarification. 8+)
  • corwinscorwins Posts: 1,837Member
    Thanks for the info Christy!
  • honeybeehoneybee Posts: 587Member
    Thank you so much for this post. I just emailed Ann asking her so, If you read this Ann you can ignore me email. Sure you are gettting tons. Love you guys. You are the best and MAKE THE CUT ROCKS! even with out any further updates it is by far worth the money!!!!
  • pinkrd1pinkrd1 Posts: 353Member
    I have it in my downloads 3.2.1 1.8mb will it still work? I had to unistall it off my computer because DS wasn't working at all.
  • CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
    I have it in my downloads 3.2.1 1.8mb will it still work? I had to unistall it off my computer because DS wasn't working at all.
    If you had it downloaded before Andy changed the home page today then yes you should have no problems. Do not update to any future versions of mtc , including the one on the home page now though. I also would suggest not doing anymore updates though CDS just incase they decide to try and block MTC. I'm not saying they will I'm just saying to be safe I wouldn't update from CDS either.

Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I still have the CDS exe file and the font file from yesterday is it ok to use it?
    I still have the CDS exe file and the font file from yesterday is it ok to use it?
    I do not know honestly. I would say the font file is fine but I certainely wouldn't update your firmware just in case.

So with the 2.31 I can still use MTC?
  • ssmithssmith Posts: 588Member
    thanks Christy for clarifying this for us!
    Sheila
    owns a Zing and Cameo
    edited March 2011
    So with the 2.31 I can still use MTC?
    you can but you are going to have to check do not use serial communications. It wont' cut as fast doing it that way though usually.

I have been told that as of now you can still update your firmware from CDS. I have not tried this as mine was already updated and I don't use it anyway. You really need to try and get it to 2.34 though in my opinon.
    When you get to update the CDS can you see the version before you do the update?
    edited March 2011
    no honey you can't. You can ask if anyone has updated today. I think from what I've heard you are okay to update I just can't say for sure as I haven't done it myself.
  • YorkieMomYorkieMom Posts: 589Member
    Don't know if this will help anyone or not but I updated the firmware on a friend's E this evening around 6pm EST. I called her immediately after seeing Andy's post and she is able to cut to her E from MTC.
    Don't know if this will help anyone or not but I updated the firmware on a friend's E this evening around 6pm EST. I called her immediately after seeing Andy's post and she is able to cut to her E from MTC.
    oh that does help. She should be good then. I know Dana said she helped someone earlier today and it worked for her to.

I'd say you better jump to it pink if you want to update.LOL
    I agree Christy. I sure wouldn't wait until tomorrow!
    BTT
  • JulesJules Posts: 839Member
    Bumping up.
    Julie in Dorset, UK - across the pond.
  • jlwisejlwise Posts: 205Member
    Thank you so much Christy for posting this, you and the others are such an asset to this board.

I wonder (( and if I am out-of-line for asking, let me know -- I will delet my post )) if one of you wonderful folks who have the bug but also have other machines would be willing to try the method mentioned earlier of downloading two versions on their computer --- one the most up to date and one that you never update --- and if you could let us know if it is possible to create in the updated version -- save -- then open your file in the non-updated version and cut.

I have to admit I am too chicken to try it myself as I am suck with the bug for now and am parinoid to try anything that will result in not being able to use my bug untill I can get a new cutter ..... I get the impression (( and I might be wrong here )) that those of you who have the bug AND one of the better cutters may not get rid of your bugs, but certianly will not be using it in favor of one of the better ones. NOT that I expect you to sacrifice your bugs for me or anyone else, but if anyone has one that they are not planning to use maybe it would not be a huge loss if something did happen to wreck the whole deal and make it impossible to cut with it.

Again, if I am out of line PLEASE let me know and I will delet all of this ..... I don't want anything to harm Andy or Ann and I don't want to offend anyone or assume anything that could be considered illegal or amoral.
  • SuzanSuzan Posts: 819Member
    Thanks a bunch Christy.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Posts: 2,156Member
    edited March 2011
    jlwise -

If MTC was backwards compatible you could do what you said. What that someone else suggested was to NOT "SAVE" your file in the most recent version of MTC, but to "EXPORT" your file to an .svg then "IMPORT" it into v.3.2.1 of MTC. There is nothing to be afraid of trying it. It is a very simple process. You're not going to break anything.

Edited to say v. 3.2.1--Made a typo.
    Post edited by HappyCrafter on
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good.
    Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • janettevorsterjanettevorster Posts: 52Member
    JLWise
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I have a mac with bootcamp on it for the windows to use here and have the 3.2.0 version on there and last night we updated my husband's pc and was going to do my mac tonight... now I think I am to late to update it to 3.2.1 boo hoo!
  • TAMinatorTAMinator Posts: 2,886Member
    I am wondering... if someone already has the download (trial) and pays for the registration - would it work? Or does registering it automatically update giving you the no-bug version? Or... could you save your trial version to disk to back it up... register... uninstall... and reinstall your older version?
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason.
    ~ Brian Andreas
  • Angel135612Angel135612 Posts: 4,246Member
    No, it doesn't update automatically. Although it gives you the option to download it through the program, you still have to tell it to update.
    You can install the program into a different folders, and you "should" be able to run two copies. However Andy has stated that this may not work well, it isn't a good idea to run different copies of the same program on the same computer. IF you have a desktop and a laptop, there is no reason you can't upgrade one copy on the computer you design on, and not upgrade the computer you use to cut with. If you don't have 2 computers, then you may not be able to do this with out causing some problems.
    Diane in Colorado Springs
    Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews
    http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
    Okay to answer the first question

1. I think the version of mtc that is up right now is exactly what you have just without the cutter support. You'll need to wait until a new version comes out and then we can try it. What I originally suggested was to design in the new version, export as svg, then import into 3.2.1. This can't be tested until the new version of mtc comes out though.

2. I have installed MTC on my daughters laptop this morning which has never had it. Using the 3.2.1 exe I ALREADY HAD ON MY JUMP DRIVE it works fine when I enter my registration code. So the answer to that question is yes, it you saved your exe file when you downloaded the update to your computer back when it was released and you still have it then it's fine.

3. No it doesn't automatically update so you are fine.
    Thanks. I actually started another thread so it'd be easier to find and answer, plus I added a second question. LOL

I don't care about updating it. Heck, I had only played with the older one before all the other upgrades and I was okay with that. But I recently had downloaded it on another computer so it has all the latest upgrades and I'm nearly back to square 1 learning how it works. LOL

My only concern is being able to use it if I should fork over the money for it. I don't have a money tree unfortunately. I don't even have my own scraproom.
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    Sometimes I think I should just keep my opinions to myself, she said, but someone has got to be the voice of reason.
    ~ Brian Andreas
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Posts: 3,774Member
    jlwise -

If MTC was backwards compatible you could do what you said. What that someone else suggested was to NOT "SAVE" your file in the most recent version of MTC, but to "EXPORT" your file to an .svg then "IMPORT" it into v.2.3.1 of MTC. There is nothing to be afraid of trying it. It is a very simple process. You're not going to break anything.
    or just copy it from and and paste in place in the other and save LOL pretty simple work around
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MegMeg Posts: 110Member
    Thank you!

So, am I correct in thinking that the bottom line now for those who want (or need, as is the case for many) to continue using MTC and cutting on a Cricut is:

1. Do not update/upgrade MTC from here on out. Versions AFTER 3.2.1 will not work with a Cricut.

2. Do not update your Cricut firmware from here on out. I think the general consensus is that the next Cricut firmware update will include a block for MTC and who knows what other program(s).

I'm a little fuzzy on a couple things, though.

1. Can we update Design Studio? I know PC is rolling out an online-only design program (which sounds pretty crummy), but I don't care to work in an online-only program. I do want to be able to manipulate cartridge images, though, so I need to update DS if I buy a cartridge.

2. Is there anything PC can do with the Gypsy (some kind of update) that will screw up our ability to use the current version of MTC with our Cricuts? I've got over 150 carts linked to my Gypsy and want to continue using it.

And, yes, I know all this means that it is PAST time I learn how to use the design program that came with my KNKs! It's just that I have a boatload of money invested in cartridges, and we do use them around here (my kids love the cart system and the Gypsy). I really want to protect that investment.

Thank you all -- all the people on this board -- so much for helping the folks caught in a bind. With all the kind and intelligent people around here, I know we'll get it sorted out.
    Your first two questions are correct Meg.

As for the DS I can't really answer that. I have no idea what PC is capable of. I don't think any of us are.LOL
  • MegMeg Posts: 110Member
    Thanks, Christy. I'll hold off doing anything with DS until I gather some more info. There have been many posts on the Cricut MB by people who want to continue using DS. Lots of folks are unhappy about the online-only thing with the new program and want to continue using DS. As crummy as it is, there's no other way to easily work with the cart images.
  • rockapoojakey1rockapoojakey1 Posts: 18Member
    How do I back up my MTC program onto an external hard-drive or a disc?
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks!!! :)
    Cheryl
    How do I back up my MTC program onto an external hard-drive or a disc?
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks!!! :)
    Cheryl
    Yep you need to send the .exe file form your computer (assuming you still have this) to the jump drive, CD, or whatever you are using.

If you don't still have the .exe file then I'm not sure.LOL You might have to ask Bryan that one. I would think you could just grab the folder form Program files and copy it over but I"m not sure.

• ThymeThyme Posts: 2,519Member
    Grabbing the folder from program files won't work, you need the original installation file
    1. You can update the cartridge library without updating the firmware. Unless they make a change to that - it's usually been separate. As far as any more updates to design studio functions - I don't think that's going to happen. From what I heard, part of the problem is the way they designed the program doesn't allow them to do much with it as far as upgrading goes. Part of the reason for the gypsy, I think. THey can continue to do things for the gypsy, but not design studio. THey limited themselves.
    Also, I heard the online version would do automatic updates (rather than have you approve them) so I'd steer clear of that if that's the case anyway!

2. Yes, I bet they could and maybe even will create an update with the gypsy so that if you want it (hopefully, that's optional!) you will have to upgrade your firmware. Which is why I'm asking if that were to happen (forced upgrade), if I would be able to sell my copy of MTC if necessary.
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    ~ Brian Andreas
    Grabbing the folder from program files won't work, you need the original installation file
    Thanks Dawn. I told ya'll I ain't techy.LOL
    You mean, we would've had to have saved it to disk instead of hitting 'run'? That once we had installed it on the computer - there is no .exe to install it again?

Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    ~ Brian Andreas
    yea you are suppose to click SAVE if you want to save it and then install. not run. I do know that.LOL
    You need to have saved the .exe before you hit run. If you just hit run then you may be able to find it by doing a search - it may still be in your temp files
    I didn't hit save (didn't occur to me I'd need to!) and I don't think there's anything in my temp files. I have a desktop shortcut and it has an .exe but I don't know if it's the same thing.image
    mtc.jpg
    413 x 517 - 67K
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    ~ Brian Andreas
    View of program files.

mtcfile.jpg
    731 x 368 - 57K
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    ~ Brian Andreas
    I'm afraid that is a shortcut to the program, not to the installation file
    That's what I thought.
    Kaleidoscope Creations
    Born a Rambling Tam
    ~ Brian Andreas
    sorry :-(
    I tried doing it, I have two things on my external Hardrive . one is called MTCInstall3.2.1 and the other one the the make the cut short cut. Did I do it right? How do I tell?
    LOL the MTCINSTALL 3.2.1 should be the right exe file to save honey
    Screen shot 2011-03-17 at 1.50.43 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 366K
  • janettevorsterjanettevorster Posts: 52Member
    I am SOOOO glad my hubby is techy savvy as he did the file saving thing last night on the pc and we used that tonight to upgrade my Mac computer on the windows side of it, so I have that as a backup! WHOOO!
    Rock I have no idea what you are tryng to show me honey.LOL

Janette,

Glad you are all backed up and good to go honey!!
    Christy I think she is trying to show you the MTC.exe file she has saved...4th in the list...and asking if it is the right one. Not sure...just trying to help :)
This discussion has been closed.