We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PC Lawsuit Against MTC

124»

Comments

• BirdyBirdy Member Posts: 240
    I sold my expression for $150 and have sold carts for $25.00 each. If you got the same prices, you could make $400 towards a new cutter. :)

If I win the lottery, the next round of Cougars is on me!!

Laura
  • JensMomJensMom Member Posts: 1,147
    I seriously think I am going to sell my stuff on e-bay. I want a different cutter anyway, might be time.
  • angeli08angeli08 Member Posts: 286
    I'm torn. Now, if you tell me the Cougar can easily cut fabric and felt, I may jump on the bandwagon. I could return the Big Kick I just purchased. Or do any of you with the cat still own a die cutting machine too?
  • MegMeg Member Posts: 110
    So if I am reading this properly. In order to use the MTC software that I have purchased I can no longer update my cricut? Once it has been updated it will make my MTC software unuseable?

Thats a tough decision.. because like so many of you I use both carts and MTC. Seems to me that PC has put me in a tough position!
    You're not alone, unfortunately.

To add to my problems, I'm running a very old version of MTC that I'd like to keep (not have overwritten with 3.2.1) because I'm familiar with it. I haven't updated in ages because all I do is cut TTFs (pathetic, I know).

edited March 2011
    I'm torn. Now, if you tell me the Cougar can easily cut fabric and felt, I may jump on the bandwagon. I could return the Big Kick I just purchased. Or do any of you with the cat still own a die cutting machine too?
    I love my BK! I still use it a LOT, in fact more than the E or KNKs I have. I tend to reach for dies because I know how to use them and they cut through so many things. Also, collecting dies can be kind of a Hoarders thing for some of us...

Additionally, you need a BK/Big Shot/something like that if you want to use embossing folders and embossing plates

Post edited by Meg on
  • KasandraKasandra Member Posts: 227
    Well, ladies I have to say I am also selling everything I have. I put my expression on ebay but I have over 80 carts to sell.
    I will not be giving pc another dime of my money and then that way pc can't tell me what to do with my machine.
    my blog www.thepaperden.com
  • CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Member Posts: 14,967
    Yes it will cut fabric and felt easily. It just needs to be stabilized or thickened. The best thing to use is Starch solution but YES it can be cut.

(Dawn is talking and I am typing lol)
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lol about the craft hording! I also have the texture boutique for embossing. I didn't realize how pricey those dies can be. And the selection at Ms and Js stinks. Where do you purchase your, Meg?
  • KwiltKwilt Member Posts: 1,360
    edited March 2011
    ...once again PC...BAD FORM!

Someone must have been picked on in grade school and now feels they have to push people around to make up for their past frustrations. ProvoCraft Cry Babies. L-)

Thanks Andy and Ann for going to the bat for us and MTC. Your still Hot Stuff with us! LUV YA! :X
    Lots 'O Big Hugz....Kathy >:D<
    Proud MTC Member Since: 12/25/2009

LOVE ♥ LOVE ♥ LOVE MY 15" KNK MAXX!!!!
    MY BLOG: CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND COFFEE
    I wanted to add, thanks Christy for answering my question. I really want a cat. Maybe for Christmas.

It really is rotten that everyone has to ditch their stuff. PC is so short-sited. I hope Andy makes a statement soon. I am trying to convince myself that things are not as bad as they sound, but it's hard to stay positive when there is so much unknown.
  • janettevorsterjanettevorster Member Posts: 52
    So if I am reading this properly. In order to use the MTC software that I have purchased I can no longer update my cricut? Once it has been updated it will make my MTC software unuseable?

Thats a tough decision.. because like so many of you I use both carts and MTC. Seems to me that PC has put me in a tough position!

To add to my problems, I'm running a very old version of MTC that I'd like to keep (not have overwritten with 3.2.1) because I'm familiar with it. I haven't updated in ages because all I do is cut TTFs (pathetic, I know).

I also updated about 3 months ago, just after I purchased MTC, so will have to 'stick' with that for now as not sure how to update without overwriting the older version
  • rachellann_ID714rachellann_ID714 Banned Posts: 10,251

I also updated about 3 months ago, just after I purchased MTC, so will have to 'stick' with that for now as not sure how to update without overwriting the older version
    if you are running an older version i would advise you to get the 3.2.1 as you are missing out on a lot .
    image image image Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/ My Blog is: http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/
  • gardencatgardencat Member Posts: 288
    Thankfully I never invested in DS or the Gypsy. Once I realized that I could only use those to manipulate the same old images on the PC carts I wasn't interested.

I sell some of my cards, and I'm sure that PC has their images copyrighted out the wazoo, as far as I have seen, their angel policy is so convoluted, complicated and restrictive that I am not at all interetsed in the hassle of using them in any project that I might want to sell.
    I have a few carts that I purchased and use when I want to make a fast and dirty Birthday card or something, for personal use, but for anything else I use my MTC and my own designs.
  • nubiancrafterncnubiancrafternc Member Posts: 212
    Karen, thanks for the ebay information... I have a BNIB colored E that I plan to put up for sale...I'm halfway at the cost of a BC if it sells for at least $450 USD. TFS
  • nubiancrafterncnubiancrafternc Member Posts: 212
    edited March 2011
    Yes, I did update on one computer yesterday.

if you are running an older version i would advise you to get the 3.2.1 as you are missing out on a lot .
    I have this version 3.2.0 and have a Expression and am now to scared to upload the newest version! Will it not make unable to cut any more?
  • threedogpackthreedogpack Member Posts: 59
    I have the newest version and it worked for me. BUT.....I downloaded it over the weekend.
    Anyone downloaded 3.2.1 today that have a cri***?
    Anyone downloaded 3.2.1 today that have a cri***?
    not sure if it is still downloadable on the home page but i know the 3.2.0 is the version that has some glitches
    image image image Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/ My Blog is: http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/
  • SuzanSuzan Member Posts: 820
    I have asked about felt. It all needs to be stabalized. But remember there are so many different types of felt. I believe you need a tighter woven denser felt for good cutting. I have cut fabric, Both cotton and some fabric that had some stretch to it. I did stabalize it with wonder under before cutting. I was really nervous doing it to. I was cutting names out for someone to put on volunteer shirts, and there was limited material. But it worked out fine. The best thing would be to ask someone to cut a sample of the felt you will be using.

• BirdyBirdy Member Posts: 240
    I cut satin that I lined with fusible interfacing on my Crapcut. I am certain if the Crapcut can do it, the Cougar can do it better. I'll try it out today and report back.

Laura
    Thanks ladies. You gals rock!

I knew it had to be stabilized. I have felt off the both and some wool blend. I know it is pretty soft. I have some wonder under and heat n bond. I just bought the deep cut blade housing (before all this crap happened). I figured the crapcut would be just that- crappy at cutting it so I bought the big kick too.
  • marilyn2222marilyn2222 Member Posts: 23
    I was wondering if purchasing now (while the website still says cricut) if it would work. I am one of those who has been on the fence for a while. NO! I decided this is what I wanted, only I didn't have the cash to get it just yet. It was on my Christmas list, but I didn't get it. I'll not update my cricut stuff if that's what it takes.
  • DarleneIDarleneI Member Posts: 2,743
    Those of you who have not upgraded to the latest version of MTC need to do it now.
    It is a wonderful version and you won't regret it. Download into another folder and make sure it works before tossing the old one.
  • mskittymskitty Member Posts: 78
    so how do I know what version I hve
    I still use my sizzix quite frequently, and I too have the Silhouette cutter which I need to unload, plus the big BAD BAD bug..And would never part with my sizzix. Seems theres a reason or purpose for all in my life, or I just dont want to get rid of all these dies, lol, I seem to get attached and find a reason to keep everything. lol
  • diget7diget7 Member Posts: 88
    Mskitty, go to the "help" and then down to about Make the Cut - it will tell you which version you are running.

NOTE: I downloaded the 3.2.1 version on the 13th, installed a day or 2 ago and just today updated the drivers and firmware - It started to cut. I had to cancel, because I needed to get some things done. Will do a full cut shortly, just to double check!

Hope that helps
    ~Dani~
  • marsmars Member Posts: 1,118
    mskitty,

Just click on help and about make-the=cut! ant you will see the version number there.

-Mike
  • Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,901
    so how do I know what version I hve

• karen3912karen3912 Banned Posts: 3,182
    angeli08,
    I had to do a demonstration with our fabric/felt blade for a company that only cuts these. I used heavy quilters cotton with a light webbing ironed on. I also used a thick quilting mat I use for testing. This was the one where I was so nervous I forgot to check my force before I pressed cut. I cut out a butterfly and my daughters name welded. It cut the fabric and right through the mat perfectly. I was afraid to say anything, lol. They looked at me and asked if I could install the next week. They took what I cut out including the mat with them and bought a 24 inch Cougar. I should make more mistakes like that. :) I have tested it on all thicknesses of fabric and it hasn't failed and I have tested it on some stiff felt I didn't need to do anything to, also great. I love the fabric blade as long as I don't have to sew anything.
    mskitty,

Just click on help and about make-the=cut! ant you will see the version number there.

-Mike
    Thank you Mike, So I have 3.2.1 and if i do not update anything I should be good to go...I am so upset, like all of you that PC is doing this I could chew nails. Personally since purchasing this program in January I have had to repalce my mats and blades at least 3 times more often, and really how long can a machine last when you cut that much? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I am so disappointed in PC, to determine what I can and can't do or buy...Before I found this amazing program I was chained to this machine and the cartridge purchases, and like anything else I do jumped in on the deep end, now after giving them huge amounts of money they can't even toss me a line..wth? sorry, I guess I am more upset than I thought
    thank you all for your help, like I said, I should be ok if I never update the dam PC machine...
    I see a lot of talk on here about a cougar, and I like the rest of you need to plan which machine will replace this thing. Thank you again for your help...
  • marsmars Member Posts: 1,118
    Yeah I'm bummed about it I never had a Cricut but my little sister does - she ordered MTC a couple of days ago at my suggestion I think it will work for as long as her Cricut lasts and she can use it if she ever upgrades to a better cutter. I think venting and then letting it go is the best course of action in this situation. We will go our separate way from PC - but there are enough newcomers to keep them supplied with new victims for a long time. Unfortunately!

Good luck and like The Hitchhikers Guide says Don't Panic!

-Mike
  • pjynxpjynx Member Posts: 22
    I downloaded and installed MTC 3.2.1 but haven't tried cutting anything yet. My Create firmware hasn't been updated since last summer.

1) Do I *have* to update the firmware in order to use 3.2.1? I still have my original version of MTC if I can't use the latest.

2) If I update the firmware today, will it make MTC not work with my Create? Meaning, has PC already put something in their code to make it not work?

Ugh! Thanks ;o)

Pam
  • cassiesmom1cassiesmom1 Member Posts: 4
    Well, suppose someone that is pc savvy and has MTC right now copies that file that's supposed to be deleted and then just gives copies of it away in a free link. I don't think you can get in trouble for it if you're not profiting.
  • Shannon_CorbinShannon_Corbin Member Posts: 1,612
    Yeah, but that wouldn't be fair to Andy and Ann. They work very hard to give us great support, without charging an extra arm and leg.
  • neldanelda Moderator Posts: 11,637
    Well, suppose someone that is pc savvy and has MTC right now copies that file that's supposed to be deleted and then just gives copies of it away in a free link. I don't think you can get in trouble for it if you're not profiting.
    Yeah, but that wouldn't be fair to Andy and Ann. They work very hard to give us great support, without charging an extra arm and leg.
    The file was only the trial version (which was always free). The registration key should never, ever be shared. That's what we paid for.

Not sure, but I would think it could get whoever shares the file in trouble though. Even though Andy is not distributing it, PC could/would go after who ever distributes it and sue them. And the unoffical moderators here have asked us not to share it. It would be nice to hear what an attorney would say about this. (I am NOT advocating that anyone share the file!)

There is no doubt in my mind that there are PC moles on the board, looking for a"kind soul" to share the MTC file. Granted, some requests for the file may be legit, but I am sure all are not. If it is a PC mole, you may find yourself being sued by PC.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/ Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit! Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • Angel135612Angel135612 Member Posts: 4,246
    It does NOT matter if you profit from it or not. When PC released all the handbooks as Vector PDF files, they were "shared" in numerous places. Even though they themselves (PC) gave them away for free, when they realized that people could take those images and use them, they didn't want them out there any longer. They found who was sharing them, and put a stop to it. So even if someone were to "share" that file, PC would find out about it, and they would and COULD put a stop to that as well.
    It is unfortunate, that people with C's will no longer be able to upgrade the program to have it cut to their C's.

However, it has been mentioned on another thread a way to use the newest version of the program and still be able to cut to your C's.
    Diane in Colorado Springs Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/ http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
    It does NOT matter if you profit from it or not. When PC released all the handbooks as Vector PDF files, they were "shared" in numerous places. Even though they themselves (PC) gave them away for free, when they realized that people could take those images and use them, they didn't want them out there any longer. They found who was sharing them, and put a stop to it. So even if someone were to "share" that file, PC would find out about it, and they would and COULD put a stop to that as well.
    It is unfortunate, that people with C's will no longer be able to upgrade the program to have it cut to their C's.

However, it has been mentioned on another thread a way to use the newest version of the program and still be able to cut to your C's.
    correct Angel135612 if they found them they were removed and if they knew who the person wholoaded them up for share ing they sent them a nasty letter of an order to stop distribution of the files , the first letter came from the corporation the secon came from the lawyers and they clearly stated that the next would be a we'er taking you to court they are not nice in any way whether you are a business or a personal person it does not matter to them.
  • CindyLouWhoCindyLouWho Member Posts: 250
    This mention of CricutSearch is disturbing. Maybe I should rephrase that, I can't believe there is such a site & that it is any more legal or illegal than anything MTC has done. Maybe they are next, but I would think the images are far more infringing on their rights! Just my opinion.
  • lindalou692lindalou692 Member Posts: 444
    I just purchased an eCraft and it works with MTC. The price was compareable to the bug,and the company is working with MTC.I had to send it back to the maker craftwell for an update ,but hopefully it will be a good replacement for the bug.It does cut some heavy stuff no problem .LOVE MTC AND ALL THE HELP FROM FORUM ,ALSO ALL THE HELP FROM BRYAN .Best software I ever purchased!!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!