We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PC Lawsuit Against MTC

Comments

• rose481rose481 Member Posts: 242
    I know there is a lot to sort out after this ruling, but geesh, I wish someone would tell us what to think. On one hand, it seems as if MTC may be gone and on the other it would appear it's just the software sold with the back up feature. Either way, this makes me sick...can't imagine how Andy and Ann must feel, as well as the others that have been instrumental in helping this software "grow-up". There has been so much work put into this project! I am going to say this yet again, "Hey PC, wake up! You dummies should realize what a great thing you had going here!" Add this finding to the fact that the cartridges are going up in price...who runs that place anyway?
  • threedogpackthreedogpack Member Posts: 59
    not a tough position for me. I have a new E. Purchased at Christmas this year. Every time I think about cutting something not on one of the 2 carts that came with the machine, I will see if there is a cart with it, price it and THAT money will go in a jar toward a cutter that supports MTC. At $30-100 a pop, I will have the money for a different cutter in no time.

Sionara Provo Craft.
  • CarmenOCarmenO Member Posts: 1,112
    I like the name crapcut I can't believe this is happening. I wish he could appeal but I think it all comes down to who has the most money, right or wrong that is usually how it goes. I am glad I got a gazelle for Christmas. I love it!!
    Gazelle, Cameo
    PC should have sued for royalities from selling the software. That would have been $$ in hand for no work on their part. As it is, MTC is still going to work for other cutters, this was for the PC Cricut.
  • rachellann_ID714rachellann_ID714 Banned Posts: 10,251
    has any one went and bought the actual document , the site everyone is reading is the same one that post wayback when that /MTC allowed you to back up cds with out having to own the carts so until An dy comes here and tells us or someone gets ahold of the actual docments we are assuming quite abit.
    image image image Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/ My Blog is: http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/
    has any one went and bought the actual document , the site everyone is reading is the same one that post wayback when that /MTC allowed you to back up cds with out having to own the carts so until An dy comes here and tells us or someone gets ahold of the actual docments we are assuming quite abit.
    I don't think it's available yet.
    and the update was on Wednesday of this week. The original post was last year.
  • VinylandVectorsVinylandVectors Member Posts: 4,344
    Until we are told by Ann and Andy what the situation is, we can only speculate based on what we read as a "summary" of the settlement.

I read and speculate the "summary" as this:

MTC will work with current cricut owners as long as they have the new registration code, rendering the back-up feature null and void. My question is here is... will EVERYONE be getting a new registration code or just those that bought the version with backup feature.

My concern is that if my Cricut breaks and I purchase a new one and it doesn't have firmware of 2.34 or 2.35 then I won't be able to use MTC without having to purchase another cutter.

MTC new sales registration codes will not work with a cricut. My guess is that any new registration codes purchased now will render the "cut to Cricut" operation unavailable.

My second concern is If EVERYONE, regardless of what version of MTC we purchased is given a new registration code and it requires us to register the serial number of our Cricut, then the "cut to cricut" operation will also be unavailable on other cricuts where the serial number isn't attached to the registration code, therefore making any future purchase of a "backup" Cricut a waste of money.

MTC new sales will still exist for other machine owners. IF Andy continues his software development, these owners will not be affected.

This is how I interpret the summary and my concerns as "read between the lines".

Case # C-P10-276M

U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
  • SewsnazzySewsnazzy Member Posts: 1,150
    Bless Ann and Andy, my heart goes out to them. They have created more than a program here...we are more like a family and PC wants to destroy it. I hope we are able to keep this forum together in spite of them. I too hope Andy keeps updating MTC for other machines. Just think, if we save our money for a new machine instead of buying PC carts, it won't take long to buy another machine.
    Peggy
    Peggy
    ok but it is not coming up in the site search
    image image image Rachellann uses the Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Expression, and 34 inch MH871 vinyl cutter http://www.thymegraphics.co.uk/index.asp http://www.thatsscrapinc.com/ My Blog is: http://rachellsmanycrafts.blogspot.com/
  • Angel135612Angel135612 Member Posts: 4,246
    I just did a search on the case number, and I still don't see any document for the settlement on the website. So now I'm really interested in finding out how the article referred to in this thread found their information.
    Diane in Colorado Springs Proud Owner of a Silver Bullet Professional Series 24 inch cutter rated #1 by Top Ten Reivews http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/ http://www.mycraftythoughts.blogspot.com/
    she or someone she knew might have been at the hearing.
    if the settlement was only reached on Wednesday, it might not be available yet and if there is a privacy order, it may never be available to the public.
  • debzdebz Member Posts: 3,310
    edited March 2011
    Ugh. I wish I never bought that stupid expression now. I can run mtc with my knk but i liked having something small for quick jobs. Poorly played pc. Poorly played.
    Deb http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/ Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing Team KNK Designer
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Member Posts: 1,183
    A couple of things here.
    Nancy Nally/Scrapbook Update is pretty much THE reliable source for industry news. This is not a rumor blog or hearsay, I'm afraid.
    This is a settlement, meaning there is no appeal or other recourse.
  • corwinscorwins Member Posts: 1,841
    *&^%$# Shame on you PC for hurting our family!!!
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    We don't have the full story yet. As I read the article, I am thinking that the source code that has to be destroyed is that for the backup feature. Andy made that separate from MTC. A new version of MTC eliminating the bug driver should be coming out soon, so that those installing that new version will lose the ability to cut to that one machine. As the backup feature was eliminated without announcement, we may lose a driver without announcement.

Andy has been working very hard recently on adding many new features that we have requested for the next MTC update. Those who have the other supported machines will want to jump on that update, but those wanting to continue to use their bugs with MTC should not update to the next MTC version. MTC is already great as it is - so everyone is getting their money's worth. Protect your investment!

If I have to, I might just use another computer for running the current version of MTC, and go ahead and do the upgrade on my newer computer when it becomes available. Maybe a small netbook or one of my old, old computers would do for when I have to run the current software.

Printing to the Roland driver from MTC is an option for those who have cutters that use Funtime or the Pazzles software. For a step-by-step, illustrated and printable tutorial for doing this, see the Tutorial called VI.02_MTCtoPLT.pdf posted here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/files/06_File Conversion Techniques/
    Exporting to PDF from MTC is another option for those using software that imports PDF files.

For those wishing to boycott a bullying company, you should be aware that Gazelle mats and blades work with the E. Blade holders, blades, and embossing, engraving, etching, and pen tools for the Pazzles Inspiration also work with the bugs. Don't support bullies!

You can purchase a Gazelle for $399.99 from Scrap-Savvy.com They also will do price matching, if you find it advertised elsewhere for less. I know a lot of people feel they cannot pay this much for a cutter, but I ask those people to add up how much they have spent all together for their other machine plus all of the cartridges? The cost adds up very quickly. Perhaps purchasing a Gazelle on a layaway plan would be an option for these people. I also wonder how many people have had to purchase the bug more than once because it "wore out" after the warranty was up? Purchasing the E twice costs more than purchasing the Gazelle once in most cases.

I suggest that you petition the BossKut company to see if they will sell the Gazelle at a reduced price if you want it without the software. If enough of you make that request, they might just consider that option. They make very little profit off of the software that they ship with their current machines.
  • Shannon_CorbinShannon_Corbin Member Posts: 1,612
    well, that settles that. Every penny I have will be saved for a new cutter. The crapcut and it's expensive, lousy cartridges will not control me or my artistic freedom. PC should have listend-never mess with a scrapper and their obsession. My take on a favorite movie quote "pc think the people are here to provide them with position, I think their position is to provide us with artistic freedom. And I go to see that they have it!" "You can take my crappy pos cutter, but you can NEVER take my FREEDOM! "
  • daffeydildaffeydil Member Posts: 3,005
    I love that name: "Crapcut". It really fits!!
    Sharon
  • jlwisejlwise Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2011
    Juile --- I was thinking the same thing......those of us with the bug just will not be able to do any updates.....I can live with that until I save enough money to get a different cutter. Even if I could NEVER update or buy another cutter I feel COMPLETELY that the money I spend on this software was worth EVERY PENNY. As far as justifying the cost of a new cutter vs buying additional carts -- I stopped buying those LONG ago....most of the images were too cute-sy for my tastes and PC has been on my black-list for some time now (( maybe since last April.....wonder why??? )).

Awsome tip on the mats & ect for the Gazelle working for the bug though.....I will most certianly buy those instead of allowing PC to profit from one solitary penny from me!

Maybe some of you out there who have the other cutters can tell us when the next update comes out if the bug is no longer on the availble cutter list so we know and do not mess up and update.

(( edited b/c I can't type or spell when I am so p*ssed off ))
  • KarenPKarenP Member Posts: 4,028
    We need a lawyer to start a class action lawsuit for all PC users. This truly changes the capabilities of the Crapcut for everyone who has purchased one believing there were software options other than carts. It changes everything. This will have broad implications across the craft world--blogs and stores who sell designs for using with the Cricut.
    Missouri
  • PennyDuncanPennyDuncan Member Posts: 112
    Well for me it will be easy as I do not use the cartridges at all and I am TOTALLY DONE with Provocraft....I will be selling my Cricut Expressions......mine are both brand new as I had my original one die after 3 good years of use and recently within the past 3 months bought 2 brand new ones.....they WILL be sold and I will be getting a new cutter that WILL work with MTC.........I am absolutely SICKENED over this!!!!!!
    Have a Blessed Day......Penny Duncan http://pennyduncancreations.blogspot.com Proud Owner of Silver Bullet Pro Cutter 24"
    lylacfey I sent you a private message.
  • debzdebz Member Posts: 3,310
    Ann, are u online? Are you able to address this at all?
    Deb http://krapikreate.wordpress.com/ Cutting with 24" KNK Maxx, Silhouette SD, Expression, Cameo, and Zing Team KNK Designer
  • Calgalcre8sCalgalcre8s Member Posts: 2,901
    edited March 2011
    When I read this last night, I was so mad, I could not sleep. I told my DH, "I feel like taking a sledge hammer to the E and mailing it to PC in a million little pieces." Unfortunately, I cannot afford a new cutter right now and I think PC knows that many of us are affected by today's economy. I do not comprehend how PC thinks we can afford the price increase on their cartridges. They are one crazy, greedy, shooting their own feet company.

This is how I understand the following if what was reported on the settlement is true:

1. "For the existing software, Make The Cut also is required to take measures within 30 days to disable the 600 copies that were sold of the software with the cartridge back-up feature. Make The Cut is ordered to render these copies of the software completely non-functional until these users update their software to a copy that eliminates the back-up function."

Unless someone of those 600 have not upgraded to the latest version of MTC, the back-up feature no longer exists with the latest version. Doesn't that take care of this requirement?

2. "Make The Cut is permanently and immediately disallowed from selling software that is compatible in any way with Cricut machines. The company is also required to destroy all copies of the software’s source code."

This is the part that I think is the most damaging to MTC for those of us with PC cutters. If MTC can no longer sell it's current software because it is compatible with the PC cutter and the source code must be destroyed, then that will require Andy to do an upgrade to exclude the PC cutters. So, any upgrade that is done to MTC will mean we can no longer cut with a PC cutter. That will mean that we cannot upgrade to any future versions of MTC.

The question is, do we have a choice? Are we going to be forced to upgrade?

I am saving my pennies to purchase a new cutter (NON PC). I will not give my hard earned money to PC ever again.

Thank you Andy and Ann, we are behind you all the way.

Edited spelling.... so mad I cannot spell!!
    Post edited by Calgalcre8s on
  • karen3912karen3912 Banned Posts: 3,182
    jlwise, While it is a good thought to kill all of the machines in protest. It is a better thought to sell them off on eBay. Our dollar is almost equal to yours just now and a lot of US Cricuts are being sold on Aussie eBay, it is hard to find an Aussie seller. I checked them out a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't find an E under $500.00 especially the coloured ones. So those of you who recently bought if you throw in a new mat you have the money to buy a machine you can use. You should even get a decent price for 2nd hand ones if it does come to this. If you have a new one and get that price in Australia you have a Black Cat Lynx 12" or close enough. It leaves you the choice of many machines you can afford especially if you are adding carts. I hope MTC will not be cut off from other machines but as someone has already said, Andy worked with most of the other makers to make them work.
    One thing I never took notice of is that my cuttlebug is made by them. I will miss it. Can I use the folders still in my pasta maker?
  • KimATCKimATC Member Posts: 785
    There is fianlly a thread over on the PC MB, and it says SCAL settled also! I put in my two cents a few posts in.

http://community.provocraft.com/Cricut-Community_postsm723028_PC-reaches-settlement-with-MTC-and-SCAL.aspx#post723028
  • stacymolterstacymolter Member Posts: 14
    not a tough position for me. I have a new E. Purchased at Christmas this year. Every time I think about cutting something not on one of the 2 carts that came with the machine, I will see if there is a cart with it, price it and THAT money will go in a jar toward a cutter that supports MTC. At $30-100 a pop, I will have the money for a different cutter in no time.

Sionara Provo Craft.
    I love this idea! I'll have to do this too!

karen3912, I have a new E, blue color, used once. Do you know of an interested party?

private email welcome, [email protected]
  • stacymolterstacymolter Member Posts: 14
    A couple of things here.
    Nancy Nally/Scrapbook Update is pretty much THE reliable source for industry news. This is not a rumor blog or hearsay, I'm afraid.
    This is a settlement, meaning there is no appeal or other recourse.
    I agree which is why I was worried when I saw her update. :(

• CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Member Posts: 14,967
    It's going to be okay. Andy has made mtc awesome and it works with MANY other machines

2. "Make The Cut is permanently and immediately disallowed from selling software that is compatible in any way with Cricut machines. The company is also required to destroy all copies of the software’s source code."

This is the part that I think is the most damaging to MTC for those of us with PC cutters. If MTC can no longer sell it's current software because it is compatible with the PC cutter and the source code must be destroyed, then that will require Andy to do an upgrade to exclude the PC cutters. So, any upgrade that is done to MTC will mean we can no longer cut with a PC cutter. That will mean that we cannot upgrade to any future versions of MTC.

The question is, do we have a choice? Are we going to be forced to upgrade?

I am saving my pennies to purchase a new cutter (NON PC). I will not give my hard earn money to PC ever again.

Thank you Andy and Ann, we are behind you all the way.
    Okay I just want to toss something out there to those of you with cricuts. EVEN if Andy can't sell it to work with PC anymore, and I am not jumping to conclusions until we hear from him, you all can still use your machines and you can STILL update the new versions of mtc just DON'T override your old one. You can design in the new versions, export to SVG, and then import into the one that does cut to the cricut until you can get a new machine. Of course I don't know that this would work but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

So just hang in there and don't get to stressed yet. It may not be as bad as it sounds!!!!
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KimATCKimATC Member Posts: 785
    OK, Christy, I'm holding.... :-))
    edited March 2011
    OH CHRISTY.......... Girl, you so sneaky!!!! LOVE IT I knew someone could come up with a "work around".

And once I know it works and if it would not cause Andy & Ann any more stress I would LOVE to sent PC a video showing WE CAN STILL DO WHAT WE WANT WITH THE MACHINE WE BOUGHT WITH OUR MONEY --- all your b*llshit didn't stop us!!!!

And I do appoligize for my potty-mouth......it is not likely to get any better regarding this situation......sincere appoligies to anyone I am offending.
  • dancingfishdancingfish Member Posts: 52
    "you all can still use your machines and you can STILL update the new versions of mtc just DON'T override your old one."

But I have a feeling that if you update your expression MTC won't work at all.
    well be sure to breate Kim, I don't want you passing out.LOL

Jlwise,

I'm assuming there. I see no reason why that wouldn't work but again I have no way of knowing. it was just a thought. LOL
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    of course I don't HAVE the old version of MTC, I was looking at it this week.
    of course I don't HAVE the old version of MTC, I was looking at it this week.
    I'd 'bout be willing to GIVE you my registration code so you could add the most recent version not updated.....you send me the cost of the program and I will donate it to Andy and Ann.....PC can't govern what I do with my property and I am not going to stand for it!!!

I can be a real nasty you know what (( really trying to rien in my potty-mouth)) when I get pushed and now I feel PERSONALLY prosecuted.

I don't mind paying for something and I don't mind not updating as the last copy of MTC is probably powerful enough that I wouldn't run out of use for it.

[email protected]
    karen3912, I have a new E, blue color, used once. Do you know of an interested party?

private email welcome, [email protected]
    Just do what I said and put it on Aussie eBay, it works with your same sign in and you just go to www.ebay.com.au I shop a bit on your eBay, lol.
    If you are throwing in a couple of cartridges and set a price you are happy with it will go. For some reason the main retail store here has stopped bringing them in. I can't find any store selling them and they are selling on eBay. Go and look, you will see that the ones from Australia were brought in from the USA by the sellers. When I checked they were selling for prices I couldn't believe about 2 weeks ago. Even if you set it for $400.00 you have the money for a new machine and if it doesn't sell it doesn't cost. I think they are charging around $120.00 post on top and they are still selling. You don't have anything to lose and I don't care if they end up here. I am not buying one.
    Just thinking but if Andy has settled and has covered court costs like Scal. We are talking huge money that could possibly wipe him out. Can you see PC taking a couple of thousand dollars and an apology? Court costs alone are huge. I really hope this is all wrong.
    Just thinking but if Andy has settled and has covered court costs like Scal. We are talking huge money that could possibly wipe him out. Can you see PC taking a couple of thousand dollars and an apology? Court costs alone are huge. I really hope this is all wrong.
    There is no amount listed for financial restitution so I'm hoping they didn't get any. One can hope right.

Ann has posted they will do an official release in a few days so I say we wait for that.

yes everyone please wait this is a major life factor to this family as they have a young child and a baby on the way, please say a prayer for them that they will rise above all that has been at their backs for almost a year now.
  • JackintheboxJackinthebox Member Posts: 269
    I've been busy with work lately and have been absent from the forum. Even before this announcement came out, I had decided to start saving for my next cutter should my cricut ever crap out on me. If it wasn't for the Make the Cut Software, I would have never bought the Cricut. I don't think PC realizes that by forcing people to use only their cartridges they will lose a lot of support and potential users. I'm actually very upset by this, and trying not to be a potty mouth about the whole thing. Good luck to Andy and Ann and I anxiously await updates from Andy.Until, then I will continue go happily use my MTC and not update ANYTHING!!!!!!
    Cutting with a Cameo
  • scrappinwithzscrappinwithz Member Posts: 2,717
    Ladies I've seen several of you state you can't afford the cougar. While I have a 24" cougar and I absoulutely love it, there are other less expensive cutters out there that does a fantastic job. The Gazelle is just one that comes to mind and it is in the E price range. I actually paid for my cougar by selling my cartridges!!!! I had about 25 cartridges and sold them for around $25 a piece I did have to put in a little extra money but not that much! Don't give up I know there is hard times right now but we can show PC that we are the ones that gave them what they have and we can take it away!!!! We as women can do anything when you make us mad and guess what we are mad!!!
    Z
    My blog: http://www.scrappinwithz.blogspot.com Zenita S.--Dexter, MO-- Cougar!!! affiliate for MTC affiliate for Lettering Delights
    Prayers were already being said for them here.
  • KajikitKajikit Member Posts: 45
    We'll have to wait and see what it actually means for the end users... sounds like the best we can hope for is that we'll still be able to use the software but never update it again. A lot of people bought the Cricut because it's the cheapest cutter out there. I know we sure don't have the money for any of the others! I don't even have the money for the Cricut cartridges (I have two) so if MTC is disabled my Cricut will become a $150 paperweight.
  • Nancy_Cre8iveCutzNancy_Cre8iveCutz Member Posts: 1,545
    Christy, my brain was working in the same direction, I was trying to figure out how I might be able to upgrade to any new versions and still somehow use the old one to cut to my E, thanks for doing the heavy lifting for me! LOL

Okay I just want to toss something out there to those of you with cricuts. EVEN if Andy can't sell it to work with PC anymore, and I am not jumping to conclusions until we hear from him, you all can still use your machines and you can STILL update the new versions of mtc just DON'T override your old one. You can design in the new versions, export to SVG, and then import into the one that does cut to the cricut until you can get a new machine. Of course I don't know that this would work but I see no reason why it wouldn't.

So just hang in there and don't get to stressed yet. It may not be as bad as it sounds!!!!
    Nancy image image   image   image
  • Jody_MJody_M Member Posts: 335
    I am at this moment happy I got my crapcut as a gift & did not put my hard earned money into pc's pockets, my DD did, but she had no idea MTC & SCAL existed until I told her after she got me it & I found the apps, she also had no idea pc was the crappy company it really is as she is such a trusting person, she assumed, as I'm sure many others did also, that pc was the company they present themselves as & felt no need for researching. I also have never bought a cart, the only ones I have are the 2 that came with it. I did recently purchase a deep cut blade housing thru an ebay seller but it was before the new suit against scal & the scrapbookupdate.com articles. I can guarantee I will only buy roland blades not a single pc product ever again. I will never try to update the firmware again & if not updating my mtc is what is required to keep it working with my crapcut until I can get another cutter, I can live with that.
    I'm also pi$$ed but not so much for me as I am for Andy & Ann, they put so much of themselves into making this great program for us & go far beyond most others in the line of customer service & training!!!
    Like you all, I am just now waiting to hear updated news.
    Stacy did send me a link on fb this morning to a thread on the pc forum, the few posts there sounded just as upset & confused as we are.
    Jody :-) Jody_M Designs http://jodymdesigns.com
  • lilbitee_ID4078lilbitee_ID4078 Member Posts: 214
    I saw that the Lynx cutter is around the same cost as the cricut. I heard that MTC works with it. Is this true?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!