NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Iphone 4 Skin Template VINYL

CindyLouWhoCindyLouWho Posts: 250Member
edited March 2011 in Your Masterpieces
Hi Guys! I got a new Iphone 4 and they are selling what they call a skin. It's a "film" that you use to decorate either the front, back or both. What we Make the Cut crafters would probably use would be VINYL!! Woooo HOOO, another use for vinyl. Has anyone done this yet? This is a huge seller in the stores and would be a good seller for us crafters. Has anyone tried it yet? I've been searching for templates but haven't found one yet for make the cut. Anyone try this yet?

Cindy

Comments

• scrappinwithzscrappinwithz Posts: 2,704Member
    Haven't found a template yet but been thinking about it!
    Those skins are expensive!!!
    Z
    My blog: http://www.scrappinwithz.blogspot.com
    Zenita S.--Dexter, MO-- Cougar!!!
    affiliate for MTC
    affiliate for Lettering Delights
  • CherylCCherylC Posts: 1,095Member
    edited March 2011
    I've been looking all over for a template for my Droid X, no such luck yet, but there is a site call http://www.iapeel.com that has some templates available for some brands of phones. That may help.
    Post edited by CherylC on

If you purchase Graphics Factory Membership please consider using my Affiliate Link. Thanks♪♥CherylC♥♪ - Gallery ID: 2836
    Taylor Made Originals Shop | Crafting Blog | TMO FB Page | Baking Blog | Follow Me on Pinterest
  • CindyLouWhoCindyLouWho Posts: 250Member
    I've downloaded a PDF template I'm going to try. I'll let everyone know how it works. I saw one place advertise 3m film. Hmm might be the next big money maker for us all. If we make them less than those stores which we know we should be able to we could be onto something.
  • Express4FunExpress4Fun Posts: 521Member
    I thought about using even contact paper for the protective coating over the screen on my phone. My phone is 2 years old, and the store no longer carries the coating for the screen, and I had an "OMG" moment...why CAN'T I use contact paper?! And then my mind wandered...why couldn't I use some FUN vinyl and really bling-out my phone!?!
  • karen3912karen3912 Posts: 3,182Banned
    Cindy, Umm, your heading could use some work. Circumcision comes to mind. My i-phone is in a closed leather cover and it is 2 years old but I can still buy the clear covers anywhere. I even have several new ones in my safe place. I am going to vinyl and bling the cover. :-D
  • KathScrapsKathScraps Posts: 609Member
    Karen and Cindy, can't wait to see what you come up with. I'd love to find a file for my blackberry curve!
    Cutting with my Cricut E
  • DanaDana Posts: 4,344Member
    edited March 2011
    Cindy, Umm, your heading could use some work. Circumcision comes to mind. My i-phone is in a closed leather cover and it is 2 years old but I can still buy the clear covers anywhere. I even have several new ones in my safe place. I am going to vinyl and bling the cover. :-D
    Karen... the current title has my innocent mind wandering now :)

Post edited by Dana on
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,814Member
    I would love to do this as well. I wonder if we can find out which 3M vinyl they are using to print on that also removes easily. Also, I would love to find out the material for the screen protectors. I have both an iphone 4 and iPad, so I would love to save some money by making my own screen protectors. I have see a couple of templates online, I will go back and try to find them and post. Some were EPS so I should be able to convert from Illustrator and they should be ready to cut.
  • CherylCCherylC Posts: 1,095Member

If you purchase Graphics Factory Membership please consider using my Affiliate Link. Thanks♪♥CherylC♥♪ - Gallery ID: 2836
    Taylor Made Originals Shop | Crafting Blog | TMO FB Page | Baking Blog | Follow Me on Pinterest
    My son gave me a skin for my Kindle for Christmas and it was 24.95. I know I could make one so much cheaper!!
    Z
    affiliate for MTC
  • bobbiedorightbobbiedoright Posts: 600Member
    Hey scrappinwithz can you post a photo of your skin. I'm a grandma and greatgrandma and i don't even know that phones had SKIN. He,he. would like to see what they look like. Thanks
  • LisaHLisaH Posts: 548Member
    I did one for the back of the iPhone 3GS....turned out ok. I just used the regular indoor vinyl as a blank and cut other images to layer on it....just recently removed it and no residue or any problems. It needs tweaking a little to make it a perfect fit...will post from my laptop if anyone is interested and wants to play around with it. Just let me know....
    Here is a skin for a kindle. This is the one I wish they had gotten me but I got a flag one. My 8 year old picked mine out and I wouldn't for the world tell him that I would rather have this one. :-D
    Zimage
    kindle skin.PNG
    307 x 242 - 100K
    affiliate for MTC
    Played around with the templates for the iphone 3gs, iPhone 4 and iPad...haven't cut any out yet but will try the one for my 3gs this afternoon or tomorrow. Let me know if you cut any out and if they work please [-O< Thanks!
    mtc
    mtc
    iPhone4 Skin.mtc
    mtc
    mtc
    iPhone3gs skin.mtc
    mtc
    mtc
    iPad Skin.mtc
    Karen and Cindy, can't wait to see what you come up with. I'd love to find a file for my blackberry curve!
    Which curve do you have? I'll see what I can find....
    I have the 8600 Curve. Thanks!
    Cutting with my Cricut E
    I have the 8600 Curve. Thanks!
    I can't find anything on the 8600...is it compatible with another one? I have 8520 and 8900...will either of those work?
  • ReneaRenea Posts: 266Member
    I would Love a template for my phone its the HTC EVO any help would be Great !

Thank you Renee
    edited March 2011
    here is my try at the Blackberry Curve 8520 and the 8900....remember I have NOT cut these and I dont know for sure if they will work or not....just try and feel free to tweak them if needed... :-D

Renee...I'll see if I can find anything to work with....

ummmm......sorry :"> ....I must have forgotten to attach the files.....
    mtc
    mtc
    Blackberry 8900 Skin.mtc
    mtc
    mtc
    Blackberry Curve 8520.mtc
    Post edited by LisaH on
  • CindyLouWhoCindyLouWho Posts: 250Member
    I'm on my iPad again but will get on my laptop soon. I didn't even think about circumcision I was too excited about getting my new phone. It consumed my whole day yesterday & I still have tons to learn. I can't remember where I saw the 3m film I'll have to try googling again. A 3m plant is within 45 minutes of me but I think they'd call the cops on the looney lady looking for craft stuff if I went up there lol. Check back in again soon.
  • susan_ID2293susan_ID2293 Posts: 2,814Member
    Here is what I found on the type of vinyl that is used. Does anyone here have a contact at a vinyl shop that sells 3M?

The 3M™ Controltac™ with Comply contains patented non-visible air release channels to assure the customer of a higher gloss bubble free application. Other features include pressure activation, slideability and repositionability for fast and easy applications. Leaves No Residue:

It also says "Scotchprint" graphics
    Lisa, I think they're pretty much the same except for the buttons on the sides. I'm going to try to attach a pic of the 8600. but please don't sweat over it - I can live without one (I think, LOL)image
    bmp
    bmp
    8600.bmp
    Cutting with my Cricut E
    edited March 2011
    The ones I have don't wrap around the sides on the BB Curve....you might can use one of those. Possibly tweak either one a little to make it work....?

I added the files up above....sorry I must have forgotten to attach them.....
    Post edited by LisaH on
  • lafreilafrei Posts: 200Member
    I got some clear 3m and made a cut a front protective cover for my ipad, it's OK but not as good as invisible shield. Wish I could get that cheaper by the yard.
    Lou Ann in Nebraska ~ Got ZING my style!  + Silhouette SD, and Bug-E until it dies.

Thanks, Lisa! I'll work on that when I have time this week.
    Cutting with my Cricut E
  • PapilioPapilio Posts: 63Member
    We get a lot of folks over at texascraft.com who use our Inkjet White Waterproof Vinyl to produce these skins. I do it myself, actually, for personal use. It's not quite the same as 3M ControlTac, but being that it doesn't require a Solvent printer (typically costing $8000 +) it's a good way to get in and play with some ideas of your own.

We've also got Clear Static Cling and "Ultra Cling" material that you can use as screen protectors, which don't limit touch sensitivity. It can be difficult to get all the air bubbles smoothed out though, but once you do it's a pretty effective screen protector.

Between the two material types, you could have a pretty good thing going and of course, should anyone have any questions, I'm happy to help either here or by e-mail.

anthony@papilio.com

Anthony King
    HPS LLC
    http://www.texascraft.com
    (940) 627-0112
    Specialty Inkjet and Laser printer media - http://www.texascraft.com

Happily supporting the genius of Make-The-Cut's outstanding Print and Cut features!
    Personal favorites: Canon Pixma ip2600 Inkjet Printer, CraftROBO Pro CE5000-40, MTC 3.3.3
  • dimahidimahi Posts: 386Member
    How about a Android LG
  • JessicaVJessicaV Posts: 285Member
    Ooo I have an iPhone4 and am very excited to try out the template! I have always wanted to make it 'pretty' TFS!
    Jessica - Creating composite materials by day and cutting with my ZING by night -
    http://www.craftyrktsci.blogspot.com Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Reba1Reba1 Posts: 3,366Member
    I just got a Droid2 - but I won't be putting a skin on it. DH and I both got the same phones, and they look like R2D2 from Star Wars. Neither of us are big Star Wars fans, and the start up sounds, well you can imagine. All of that was changed and we bought covers for the phones, so no more R2D2. I was just going to make a skin, but they had a purple cover and I just couldn't help myself. (okay, we got these because they were quite a bit less $$ than the same Droid2 in a reg phone)

I wish I had saved the film that was covering the phone. That could have been traced for a template. DRAT - this post was about a week too late.
    ...Rebecca - "Zen D Zing" user (N. ILLINOIS)
    Public Flickr album (MTC): http://tinyurl.com/33cgstz Public Flickr album (cakes): http://tinyurl.com/y8d8ztl
  • karen3912karen3912 Posts: 3,182Banned
    I only use the real static cling covers from Apple. I have never yet managed to get all of the air bubbles out of one. So Anthony I don't think you have a problem with your stuff.
  • lafreilafrei Posts: 200Member
    Anthony, pictures of phone skins they have done anywhere?
    Lou Ann in Nebraska ~ Got ZING my style!  + Silhouette SD, and Bug-E until it dies.

• DebletDeblet Posts: 56Member
    My niece has 2 iPods and we decorated the back of both. The one had her name and scrolls and the other has music. Here's a pic of the music one. She went home and I forgot to take a pic of the actual done deal. image

This was made using a scroll from Nymphette, music notes and clefs.
    iPod back.JPG
    535 x 342 - 33K
  • bobbiedorightbobbiedoright Posts: 600Member
    oh that is a nice one. Thanks for sharing. I'm new is that scroll free somewhere.?
  • DebletDeblet Posts: 56Member
    oh that is a nice one. Thanks for sharing. I'm new is that scroll free somewhere.?
    This scroll is from the font named 'Nymphette' and you can find it at dafont.com or fontspace.com for free.
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    I thought about using even contact paper for the protective coating over the screen on my phone.
    Clear transfer tape (with it's low-tack adhesive) works very well for this. I have some on my phone as well as all my camera screens. Removes without any adhesive residue.

The transfer tape I have is very clear. When I went to buy filters for the camera, the sales person recommended a screen protector - it was so clear that he didn't realize that I already had a protective film on it!

In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • ConnorschaidConnorschaid Posts: 1Member
    Hey I've been trying to make skins for phones but I am having difficulty. I have many templates downloaded for my phone(iPhone 4 if that helps) but ever time I export them from Inkscape to sign cut it is the wrong size. So could someone tell me how you get it to be the right size? Thanks
  • ElleElle Posts: 262Member
    Nelda - where do you buy your transfer tape at and what brand is it? I need something for my camera and my phone.
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    Nelda - where do you buy your transfer tape at and what brand is it? I need something for my camera and my phone.
    You have to buy a lot at a time, like 100 yds! But I got mine from uscutters. Be sure you get clear.
    http://www.uscutter.com/Application-Tape-14

They do not carry the brand that I bought from them any more. It was BGS. They replaced it with GreenStar brand. I have used the GreenStar vinyl and have been very pleased with it.

In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • DCATDCAT Posts: 132Member
    My son would like me to make a skin for his tablet with the Raiders on it. Does anyone know when and if you want to replace it if you can remove them easily.

This discussion has been closed.