We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

eCraft Plug-in BETA Available!

AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
edited May 2011 in MTC Updates
Hi everyone...

I finished a little ahead of time, so instead of waiting, I am going to launch a BETA now.

I have the BETA of the eCraft plug-in ready for testing. Here is a link to install the plug-in:

http://www.make-the-cut.com/Download.aspx

Directions:
1) Make sure you have the latest version of MTC installed (3.2.1)
2) Make sure MTC is not running (i.e. close it down)
3) Download/run the file above.
4) Start MTC back up. You will see a new cutting option in the "Cut project with..." menu item.

Right now the plug-in works best if you choose the "Tray/Roll" cutting mode. The "Front" option isn't quite as functional as it should be.

Good luck!

-andy.
I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
Post edited by Andy on

Comments

• sandyjsandyj Member Posts: 821
    Drat, drat, drat! I was so disgusted with the ecraft software yesterday that I didn't bring my cutter home! I won't be able to test this out until tomorrow!

Did anyone with 1.x firmware try this and is it working?
    Just MY opinion, your milage will vary. Like "Andy" but with an "S"
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    edited January 2011
    I finally got the drivers installed for the eCraft. I have downloaded and installed your beta plugin. I am now cutting to my eCraft with firmware version 1.00.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Post edited by juliefes on
  • DeniseShamrockDeniseShamrock Member Posts: 114
    Andy, you are the bomb!

I just did a few basic cuts using the tray mode and the front mode and so far no problems! I can't tell you how excited I am! If I have any troubles with anything, I will be sure to let you know, but so far great job!
    Denise www.PurplePaperParadise.com
  • soccerdeblasoccerdebla Member Posts: 2
    My computer says that this is not a valid file for Vista 64. What can I do?
  • vampyrevampyre Member Posts: 10
    Thank you so much Andy.
  • pambpamb Member Posts: 4
    Woohoo, I am just waiting to see how things go before I get MTC. I have version 1.0 & I just want to make sure that the software works with this version. If anyone has this version & can tell me if it is working with their machine?!? If it cuts without that shuddering & if the start & end points meet that will be the deciding factor for me. I hope that it'll work & then I can start using my eCraft properly. It is a terrible pity that the people who designed the software for Craftwell were not as dedicated as Andy. I only found out about MTC & the eCraft a couple days ago & the testing has begun already!!!
  • VinylandVectorsVinylandVectors Member Posts: 4,344
    Congrats Andy! I know you worked hard on this!!!!
  • SBryanWSBryanW Administrator Posts: 5,287
    My computer says that this is not a valid file for Vista 64. What can I do?
    Soccerdebla - try downloading it again and save it to your desktop before running. You may not have gotten a complete download. If you still have problems, try downloading it after you temporarily stop your anti-virus, anti-malware, and/or your firewall (one of those may be interfering with the download).

Bryan
    Woohoo, I am just waiting to see how things go before I get MTC. I have version 1.0 & I just want to make sure that the software works with this version.
    Go ahead and download the trial version of MTC 3.2.1 (http://make-the-cut.com/Download.aspx) and then download the above plugin. Then you can try it out yourself to see how it works (the trial version of MTC is the full version, it will just add additional slash cuts)
    ...If it cuts without that shuddering & if the start & end points meet that will be the deciding factor for me. ...
    I don't know about the shuddering you are talking about, but the start & end points should meet fine now because Andy implemented the blade offset for this cutter.

Bryan
  • notjustquillingnotjustquilling Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    It really works! Thankyou!
    Just one little issue, when cutting from tray or front my machine cuts the shape sideways from what is pictured on MTC and all the way down in the right hand corner.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks,
    Joan

Never mind, I forgot to put it back to Portrait.
    Thanks
    Post edited by notjustquilling on
  • iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    Joan,

Do you know if you are set up for Landscape or Portrait mode?

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • lisa_anderson771lisa_anderson771 Member Posts: 323
    Amazing!!! Thanks Andy! I have fallen in love with my ecraft thanks to make the cut.
  • dakkadakka Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    This looks very promising so far! I tried to cut a piece of plastic that could not be cut before. But a few questions.

Is there a way to change from inches to centimeters?
    Also it appears that it uses tabs in the cut, is there a way to turn that off. The plastic I am using leaves behind stretched plastic when I try and remove the pieces due to the tabs (unless it's not cutting all the way through).
    Lastly can we set a custom size (and standard international paper sizes) for the media.

Thanks a lot for doing this Andy. This cutter may just be promoted from large paper weight to a functional device!
  • richardcncrichardcnc Member Posts: 22
    Thanks Andy,

Will now go and give it a try - agree with last comment, maybe a very large and expensive paperweight will be come a useful craft cutter at last.

Will be back after I have tested it out.

Richard
  • l_baughmanl_baughman Member Posts: 9
    SO excited!!! THANKS Andy!!!!! The MTC software was the best purchase I have made in a long time!
  • sylliesyllie Member Posts: 8
    Hi all!

Andy: thank you for implementing this so quickly and giving us the chance to play with the beta version of the software over the weekend.

As I said before - I do not own MTC yet - but I have downloaded the trial version and installed the plugin to see what it can do, and more important if it can make my eCraft behave.

Some quick observations:
    - The eCraft is supposed to cut custom sizes, up to 12" width and any length. There is no option to set a custom dimension tho.
    - As dakka mentioned, in other parts of the world the inch is not a common measurement and having an option to switch to centimetres would be higly appreciated.
    - My target paper will be common A4. I have tried to cut a proportional rectangle centred on an A4 paper and that is currently almost impossible. To aid figuring out where the centre of the paper ends up I made a lot of "pen" prints and I tweaked the position of the rectangle until it came out "about right". The green rectangle in the attached screenshot is the actual size of an A4 paper. The grey rectangle is the proportionally resized rectangle that I cut (draw) centred on an A4. The margins left and right are not at all where I expected them to be. Also to make this cut centred on the paper I used the cutting mode "roll/tray" and fed the paper in manually, making sure that the bottom of the paper was flush with the cutting guide (the rail where the trolley is mounted on).
    - Cutting of fonts is now easy as it can be: thank you that was a big aggrevation for me. I have not been able to cut fonts with nice curves in a large size with the eCraft software, MTC did this beautifully!
    - I created some SVGs to cut with the eCraft software: as their program crashed with font selection I created stencils from a single letter in a font style in Inkscape, converted it to path and saved it as Inkscape svg. When I try to load such an svg the preview does not match the SVG and the path is distorted when opened in MTC. Saving to plain SVG did not bring any change. ( I still do need to check the forums if there are any specifics with Inkscape/SVG/MTC so please forgive me if this is a "known item").
    - My "Kokeshi Doll" stencil on the other hand cut perfectly - also an Inkscape SVG - so I don't see the pattern yet :)
    - And as mentioned before.. I use an eCraft with firmware v1.02 and your release seems to work fine with that.

Anyways - I am quite impressed with the achieved results in such a short time (considering I am waiting since October for software that can cut my SVGs). Very cool - and this is just the beta :)

Cheers,
    Sylvia
    http://verysimpledesigns.com - Inkscape tutorials and graphic resources http://syllie.com - personal website
  • lippielippie Member Posts: 15
    Oh poop! I was soooo hopeful! I dont seem to have had that much success with it - but it's probably me! I have never cut from the tray (had to get it out of the cupboard and put it on!) so it could be that I am just generally having hassles with it because of that.

I will go away and play with it some more as its difficult to know how many hassles are coming from the machine, how many from me or whether I have an issue with MTC (somehow doubt it!).

Just thought - maybe if I cut from the ecraft software via the tray then that would mean I could identify where the issues lie.

Back later!

Rx
  • abigailgpabigailgp Member Posts: 4
    Wow, this is great.
    Everything I have tested has worked perfectly.

I'm really impressed and I just wanted to thank you for doing this.
    You sofware is incredible and now I understand why other owners of the eCraft were mad at craftwell because of the software we got, if they were used to your software there is no comparisson.

Anyway, back to testing!
    Have a nice weekend everyone.
    Abi
    Okkkkaaaaay! Am getting somewhere! I copied what Denise did, putting items in each of the four corners. I also decided to ignore the tray (I really dont need it at the moment, but am now a little concerned that there might be a problem with my machine or tray! - heyho, for another day methinks!).

AND I used a 12x12 piece of card - I was using a piece of A4 so of course it was working it out on a 12x12 so it just kept running out of card! I think being able to have an A4 mat would be fabulous - nudge nudge (I dont know, no sooner do these ecraft people turn up then they want more stuff!!!!). I think I can work around by just using a plain piece of 12x12 to "hold" the scraps I would like to use...I guess this is what other people do normally? Prior to MTC, I have just been feeding in from the front and lining up the blade to cut exactly where I want so I can just use little scraps. Any better workarounds anyone???

Going to go and have another play and let you know how I get on.....BUT amid all this waffling....it works!!! I didnt even need to use the tray and it worked fine! Well done Andy - and thanks for giving us something brilliant!

Rx

edited January 2011
    Hi Andy,

Well not having cut anything from the eCraft Software I pulled in a pdf and it cut perfectly first time in firmware v1 both from the tray and front loaded so a big thank you for making this possible.

I look forward to further refinements - my only problem was working out where to put items on the cricut mat to make sure they were on my paper. So my first wish is for a eCraft on screen mat layout for different sizes - preferably custom size but with some standard sizes eg 12 x 12, 12 x 24, A4, A3 and other common crafting sizes, so that we can use any size of paper.

Many thanks for your efforts, i am now spreading the word to eCraft owners in the UK.

Richard
  • IgorIgor Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Hey all,

I've been playing with the new plug-in and I've been trying to get it to cut/draw reliably in the same place. It was going OK until I ran into an unusual problem. I have 2 MTC files open, the first file always (lets call this the "Reference File") cuts/draws as expected (ie in the correct place on the page). The second file or any new file I open for that matter draw in a different location. If I go back to the reference file and draw/cut, then switch directly to the second/new file and cut/draw without changing anything it cuts where I expect it to.

All the settings for the mat are the same in all files. 12"x12", Landscape, Caret Size: 1.00", Snap Position 1/32. I'm using the Roll/Tray option to cut. Everything else is default. My settings on the eCraft are Mode Selecting: Manual, Landscape, Tab Settings - Density: 0.

Also I should mention that I am loading the card stock into the tray as identically as I am able on each attempt. I place the card into the tray and then lightly pull on top of it with my had to push it to the right-bottom edge of the tray. Using this method, when the file cut as expected I was able to exactly draw over the same shape 3 times in a row.

Switching between Draw and Cut seems to have no effect on the positioning. Although at one point when I experienced this problem on one of the new files I noticed that my Caret Size was at 1.1" and my Snap Position was 1/64. I changed them to match the Reference file and I was cutting where I expected again. I thought this was the answer but on yet another file changing the Caret Size and Snap Position had no effect so I gathered it must have been some sort of coincidence.

Apologies if this post makes little sense I'm having trouble finding the words to explain this more clearly.

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers.

EDIT: Almost forgot. I'm on firmware 1.00. Also I'm not sure if this is by design but the top edge of the mat on-screen in MTC lines up with the right edge of my card stock when cut. That is, the cut is rotated 90 degrees clockwise compared to what I see on screen.
    Just wondering about the drawing facility. If I want the ecraft to draw and image and cut a shape can I do this in one go or do I need to do this in steps? Is this going to make me have to use the dreaded ecraftshop sw?
  • pambpamb Member Posts: 4
    Have just bought MTC, I downloaded the trial this morning & installed the plug-in as Bryan suggested & I was able to cut straight away. I am delighted to be able to cut SVG files now & I'm not limited to the SD cards. Andy you are a genius & now thanks to you my eCraft will be used as I had hoped to use it when I bought it back in September. Oh & I used the front mode too & had no problems what so ever! Can't wait til the kids are back in school on Monday so I can have a proper play!
    Just wondering about the drawing facility. If I want the ecraft to draw and image and cut a shape can I do this in one go or do I need to do this in steps? Is this going to make me have to use the dreaded ecraftshop sw?
    The cut dialog has a drop down box where you can choose the tool to use - either the knife or the pen. So you get to choose when you are about to cut/draw.
    Yip Yip!!! Andy - this is fab! And Go Craftwell for giving Andy the go ahead to do this! Oooooo and for the record...I am 1.01 ecraft and loading from the front.

Rx
    I just bought an MTC license - thank you Andy for changing my expensive paperweight into a working cutting device. It's alive!! :)

(now just to keep adding things to the wish list. I see room for improvement / further functionality - but I am very very happy that finally I can cut my designs)

Cheers,
    Syllie
    http://verysimpledesigns.com - Inkscape tutorials and graphic resources http://syllie.com - personal website
  • AMAM Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2011
    This is great, thanks Andy.
    I have purchased MTC - installed it and the plug in but I cannot get it to cut. Comes up with a message asking have I got the cutting machine plugged in which I definitely have done so.
    Hope someone can help.

p.s. it is Sunday morning here in Australia so I must be half asleep. I had the USB plugged into the computer but not the Ecraft. I just created a welded word and it cut beautifully from front loading into the machine. I had to play around with where to place it on the virtual mat as I like to work from the front of the paper.
    Post edited by AM on
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Member Posts: 3,820
    AM are you plugged in to the computer or a hub if a hub try plugging into the computer
    image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • paupau04paupau04 Member Posts: 4,902
    Wow, This is so exciting, don't have the E-Craft or see one in my future, just happy that it works with MTC.
    Who's sorry now?...Hell hath no fury as a crafter scorned!!! http://sitstayscrap.blogspot.com/
  • JegaJega Member Posts: 323
    Should we download this version even if we don't have an ECraft?
    Jega www.carterieplus.com
  • Enjoying28Enjoying28 Member Posts: 5
    I have some very complex svg that come in to MTC allmessed up but converted them to pdf and delete the doubles it made.

Anyways Thanks Andy. After some testing I find that it cut everything well but things it has to turn back and forth in short distances (like wave edge) you really notice when they and smaller then 3/16 vertical are prefect but horizontal are shorter then drawn by about the knife radius. Is there a way to adjust this?
    ... are shorter then drawn by about the knife radius. Is there a way to adjust this?
    There is a Blade Offset parameter on the Cut with Craftwell's eCraft dialog box. By default it is set to 0.30mm. I don't know if that is the problem you are running into Enjoying28, but it is something you can try adjusting.

Should we download this version even if we don't have an ECraft?
    Jega, there isn't a new release. This is just a plug-in installation file. MTC is still at the 3.2.1 version. If you don't have the eCraft, then there is no reason to download the plug-in.

• Enjoying28Enjoying28 Member Posts: 5
    Blade offset is for the finish cut when the object closes. I am talking about if you make a square with one side having a wave edge .2" high by .2" from peak to peak then duplicate it and rotate the second one 90deg and cut them both out out the one that was horizontal will not be .2" tall.
    If you can post a picture of the resulting cut, that might help.

In terms of the blade offset, it is not just for the closing of the shape. I believe Andy has it coded for any angle changes in the path (or maybe angle changes over a certain degree). For instance, if your offset is set correctly, you will get nice 90 degree sharp corners on a square. If it isn't set properly you will get slightly rounded corners or corners that have extended nibs on them.
  • flymamamcdflymamamcd Member Posts: 1
    I have v1.00 of the machine, and it's currently a $300 paperweight. I'd love to download this software, but I'm hesitant to spend another $59 on software that may not work with v1.00. So, what happens if I buy MTC and it doesn't work? Will I be able to download future updates of the software, since it's currently a beta version? Is there a way for me to get a firmware update with Craftwell, so that my machine could be v2.0?
    I have v1.00 of the machine, and it's currently a $300 paperweight. I'd love to download this software, but I'm hesitant to spend another $59 on software that may not work with v1.00. So, what happens if I buy MTC and it doesn't work? Will I be able to download future updates of the software, since it's currently a beta version? Is there a way for me to get a firmware update with Craftwell, so that my machine could be v2.0?
    You can download the trial version to play with to see if you like it. When you cut in the trial version, the software will cut a slash through each cut, but once you have purchased the a license this slash will go away. The trial version is a full version too!

I have made probably about 100 cuts from MTC to my eCraft (v1.01) and I am very happy. There are a few things that I noticed, and Andy is probably already aware of them, but I thought I would mention it just in case. The mat is shifted about 1/4" to the left (when in portrait mode) and this seems to be the case in both tray mode and in front mode. At least half of my cuts have been from the front, and on some cuts (not all of them) the starting and end points don't quite meet up. Also, one time (and only once) I was cutting out a small box and one line (between two nodes) did not get cut at all, but all the other nodes cut fine. This has happened only in front mode, and when I tried to cut the file a second time, I could not duplicate it, so it could just be an isolated incident. Thanks again Andy, you have made me and several other eCraft users extremely happy!!
  • CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Member Posts: 14,967
    Denise, I believe you can adjust your offset numbers to get the ending and beginning point to meet up.
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi,

I am using v1.00 and everything I have tried so far cuts, as with Denise the only real issue I have is with the virtual mat not being an exact match to the cutter position.

As you can download a trial version and this is only a beta plugin, give it a go before you purchase.

I am looking forward to Andy's next update of the plugin......

Richard
    Denise, I believe you can adjust your offset numbers to get the ending and beginning point to meet up.
    You are right, however I noticed that this only happens with some shapes and not others and only from the front mode. So far it hasn't resulted in a cut that is un-useable so I have just done a little snipping with my scissors and been good to go, but I wanted Andy to be aware of it in case it is something that needs to be adjusted. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it! I have loved Make the Cut for a long time now, and I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that I can use it with my eCraft now!

• CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Member Posts: 14,967
    You are right, however I noticed that this only happens with some shapes and not others and only from the front mode. So far it hasn't resulted in a cut that is un-useable so I have just done a little snipping with my scissors and been good to go, but I wanted Andy to be aware of it in case it is something that needs to be adjusted. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it! I have loved Make the Cut for a long time now, and I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that I can use it with my eCraft now!

oh I see!!!!!!! Well I'm glad Andy was able to get it to work for all of you. I don't know what I'd do if MTC didnt' work with my cougar. I love them both.LOL

Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BamsBams Member Posts: 2
    I have a question. I did read the thread first to see if anyone else had my issue. I believe it's actually a problem with the files, not the software, but want to confirm if I can. My fear is that it's a problem with my machine

My ecraft has firmware version 1.02 and several more complex cuts I've tried just sort of left off pieces of the outline. Could this mean an open path? Also, I created a shadow for a complicated cut and some of the pieces cut out inside didn't end up where they should have been.

These were quite complex cuts, and again i do think it could easily be that the files (I got from free svg blogs) could be the problem, but i wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same problem.
    I have a question. I did read the thread first to see if anyone else had my issue. I believe it's actually a problem with the files, not the software, but want to confirm if I can. My fear is that it's a problem with my machine

My ecraft has firmware version 1.02 and several more complex cuts I've tried just sort of left off pieces of the outline. Could this mean an open path? Also, I created a shadow for a complicated cut and some of the pieces cut out inside didn't end up where they should have been.

These were quite complex cuts, and again i do think it could easily be that the files (I got from free svg blogs) could be the problem, but i wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same problem.
    Hi Bams,

To check if the problem lays with the svg or with the machine, you best test with a file which you know will cut for sure. I have noticed a few problems importing SVGs - I am using Inkscape and sometimes there is some 'garbage' in the svg files when they are saved. This problem is bigger with some versions of the program and the Inkscape developers are aware of it.

You could check if the svg looks good (contains no open paths) using an svg editor (such as Inkscape, Illustrator or a simple viewer like Irfanview with SVG plugin.

I use an eCraft with firmware 1.02 and have been able to make quite complex cuts

I've made this SVG available on verysimpledesigns.com > cutting files if you'd like to test.

Cheers,
    Syllie
  • AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
    I have noticed as well that sometimes the line doesn't finish cutting -- The blade kinda pops up over the paper and you just get an indent in the paper. To resolve this, i turn up the pressure on the machine carriage (for instance, i was using a pressure of 3 when I should have been using 4). Also, before cutting, i pull the knife out and blow into the plastic housing to get dust/particles out of the way.

Keep an eye on the blue light on the carriage. It is actually a pretty neat feature. The blue like will glow bright if your cut is going all the way through the material.

As for cut placement not being exactly how you see it inside MTC, the issue is when you feed from the tray. If I put a 12x12 paper in the tray then cut, you can see the tray bounce around a bit shifting the paper and sometimes it ends up in the machine crooked. I have no idea how to resolve this as of yet.

To do pen/cut combos, what you need to do is select the pen tool first. After it finishes drawing, the paper will end up sticking out the front when it's finished. Leave the paper as is and then do your cut lines, but this time select the "Front" cutting mode. This should give you the results you are looking for.
    I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
  • MaxineMaxine Member Posts: 4,011
    Wow I was just reading thru this thread ..how great! I dont have one of these machines but Im excited for these folks that do ..I remember what a day it was when I found it for my E Way to go Andy!!! making ppl happy one machine at a time lol.
    Im happiest when Im working
  • AngelaAngela Member Posts: 219
    Have just bought MTC, I downloaded the trial this morning & installed the plug-in as Bryan suggested & I was able to cut straight away. I am delighted to be able to cut SVG files now & I'm not limited to the SD cards. Andy you are a genius & now thanks to you my eCraft will be used as I had hoped to use it when I bought it back in September. Oh & I used the front mode too & had no problems what so ever! Can't wait til the kids are back in school on Monday so I can have a proper play!
    Loving playing with my Black Cat Lynx, Silhouette Cameo and Silhouette SD using MTC
  • AngelaAngela Member Posts: 219
    Pamb/ Are you my Pam? You'll know straight away from my name if you are!

We, myself and Pam, spent last Sunday promoting this programme at the monthly workshop we go to.
    Hopefully we will have a larger Irish based MTC community soon %%- :)
    Loving playing with my Black Cat Lynx, Silhouette Cameo and Silhouette SD using MTC
  • MaxineMaxine Member Posts: 4,011
    Go Irish!!!
    Im happiest when Im working
This discussion has been closed.