We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC and Kaspersky [Resolved]

katwmskatwms Member Posts: 475
edited January 2011 in General
MTC has been running fine on my computer until this morning. Kaspersky did an update this morning and now wants to keep disinfecting MTC and won't let me run the program. I tried reinstalling MTC and keep gettin "net-worm.win32.kolab.rvx". I know MTC is ok and I select do not disinfect and run MTC, but then Kaspersky still won't let it run. I am running Windows 7 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem today. Any fixes?

Post edited by Andy on
Kathy W. Like my C...t E and LOVE my 24" Black Cat Cougar and now a Cameo Follow Me on Pinterest

Comments

• CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Member Posts: 14,967
    I'm not but I don't run kaspersky , never heard of it actually, so I'm not sure. Is there not a way to just allow mtc? I'm wondering if the firewall included with that isn't what's actually blocking it.
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • katwmskatwms Member Posts: 475
    Ok, I did a definition roll back on Kaspersky and now everything is fine. I think I will have to wait a few days before doing another definition update.
    Kathy W. Like my C...t E and LOVE my 24" Black Cat Cougar and now a Cameo Follow Me on Pinterest
  • bricorebricore Member Posts: 78
    I am running Kaspersky and am not having any problems (I am knocking on wood as I write this..lol..)
  • Barbara_UKBarbara_UK Member Posts: 4
    I have just had exactly the same thing happen after an update. Have done a definitions roll back and still cannot access MTC at the moment so am now going to try to find a solution to the problem. Just hope it isn't too long before another definitions update from Kaspersky rectifies this though!
  • neldanelda Moderator Posts: 11,637
    I have both Norton and NOD (it came installed with NOD, never heard of it before but it seems to work) and my ISP provides McAfee. I run AVG on my netbook. None of these show MTC as infected so it must be a problem with Kaspersky. I would contact Kaspersky about it.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/ Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit! Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
  • SmileykSmileyk Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with Zonealarm!
  • iggyloveriggylover Moderator Posts: 11,513
    There is a tendency on the smaller anti-virus programs to label .exe downloads like MTC as having virus problems...

That is why it is recommended to turn off your anti-virus and firewalls while downloading MTC to avoid having them mess up the installation. :-)

...believe me, if there really were a virus problem, it would be ALL over this forum, and it isn't, so it REALLY is OK.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke Jeanette in Orange County, CA Love my Italian Greyhound --> I.G.--> iggy Own a Create: Krikee, getting used to a Black Cat Cougar: Bagheera
  • BettyMBettyM Member Posts: 5
    To solve this problem with Kaspersky. Open Kaspersky program click on Settings (of upper right and corner). Click on brown box upper left portion of window, then exclusions, then Add. In comment put the location of where MTC program file is on your PC. For example "C:\Program Files (x86)\Make The Cut!\MTC!.exe"
    BettyM
  • bricorebricore Member Posts: 78
    Go figure mine just updated and now mine is saying it too. It said it was a
    "Net-worm.win31.kolah.rvx."

I'll have to try BettyM's fix. Thanks for posting this!
    I got my info straight from Subscription Software Team at Best Buy. The Tech hook right up to my laptop and did the fix for me. If you have any problems and bought Kaspersky from Best Buy call 1 888-237-8289 they will talk you through the fix or log on to your PC and fix it for you.
  • KathyMKathyM Member Posts: 1,688
    Yep - mine just updated and deleted my MTC with the same error. :-(
    Is this where I'm supposed to say something clever?
  • Beanie_ID62Beanie_ID62 Member Posts: 3,820
    can you guys do a search for the file net-worm.win32.kolab.rvx and delete it
    image Follow Me on Pinterest
  • katwmskatwms Member Posts: 475
    I have had kaspersky on this computer for almost a year and MTC on my computer since May 2010 and have never had a problem until todays kaspersky update. I know that MTC is completely safe and I trust the program. Kaspersky is having an issue.
    No Beanie, the Antivirus program blocks the whole program because of the net-worn and renders MTC useless. It deletes all files that you need to run MTC. The fix I mentioned earlier works. I did it and I can now use MTC
  • edieedie Member Posts: 52
    I called the subscription software team at best buy and got no support at all. Also downloaded MTC again and cannot install it.
    edited January 2011
    The fix won't work for us/me. I can save the install file and exclude it, but it still won't let me install the software/exe file.

DH looked up the error message, and it's a valid network worm message. So right now, I have no MTC. DH did do a "scrub" on the program via Kaspersky, but that was to no avail - it still won't run the exe file to install it again.

Have Andy or Bryan weighed in on this yet?

(We're not going to roll back our Kaspersky because of this - the updates are put out for a reason, and we had issues with both Norton and McAfee not catching viruses, so we moved to Kaspersky for that reason - we don't intend to get burned again by rogue viruses. ;-) )

Needless to say, I'm sitting here with a sourpuss face without my MTC! :-<
    KathyM do you have Yahoo IM?
    If so contact me ncscottie27890
    No...sorry...let me PM you, though.
  • KimATCKimATC Member Posts: 785
    Soooo...what do we do now??? I am so annoyed with Kaspersky right now.
    I don't know if there's much we can do at the moment. I'm still not finding much info out on the web yet, and it's too late to call anyone...

I know that I can't turn off firewall/virus protection to reinstall MTC because our computers are networked...although it's never caused a problem, so it's never been an issue before.

Kaspersky up until now has been much more reliable for us than Norton or McAfee - that's why we made the switch over a year ago.

So I think we just wait until Andy and/or Bryan can give us more ideas?
    Sounds good, Kathy. I wasn't planning on using it tonight anyway. Hopefully they let us know something soon!
    Has anyone put in a help ticket yet? I'll do it, but I don't want to duplicate efforts.

( I didn't realize this had happened until I logged on this afternoon, long after many of you had already run into the issue. )
    I rolled back my update to previous database, and it still would not download. This could end up being a problem. Here is the error message I got when I tried to download after rolling back the database:

Yep - we got that same message after we tried to "exclude" MTC and tell Kaspersky the file was okay to allow to run. And we didn't even try the rollback.

I'll send the help ticket to Andy, but I have a feeling the answer will be "Greek" to me...I should have dh, the network engineer, get on the horn with Andy, the software genius, instead of me, the blonde key-pusher ... :-))
  • stsandmestsandme Member Posts: 26
    I got it to work tonight with alot of scanning and going back and forth in kaspersky.
    All afternoon and most of the evening.

If you email me at mardafrie@aol.com, I might be able to help you.
    But it is after 1a.m. Tuesday morning and I am going to bed now (VBGF)

marda
  • GailpageGailpage Member Posts: 638
    I'm having trouble with My MTC program. First I notice when I went into where the MTC patterns are it wouldn't let me then I closed the program and when I tried to open it wouldn't open I couldn't get it to open at all so I tried to reinstall it it I'm having problems since I can't start the program. My firewall is zone alarm but I have been using it the program for about 10 days with no problem.
    Gail from Alaska http://www.mile42chiniak.blogspot.com Cutting with my Black Cat Lynx
    I just ran my antivirus and its telling me MTC.EXE is the problem or where the net worm is but when I search my computer for it I don't think its there since I ran the Anti virus but still can't open the program. I'm not sure what to do next
    Gail
    Gail from Alaska http://www.mile42chiniak.blogspot.com Cutting with my Black Cat Lynx
  • pjpj Member Posts: 219
    I have the same problem. It deleted MTC from my computer. would love a solution!!
  • ladidaladida Member Posts: 182
    Same overhere! Also deleted MTC from my computer. I hope there will be help soon!
    I tell ya, if it started deleted my mtc I believe I'd delete IT!!!!!!!! Seriously, false positives are annoying. I'd switch to a better one. If you want a free one try AVG. I've seen Andy suggest it several times.
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/ Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited January 2011

Have Andy or Bryan weighed in on this yet?

:-<
    I am not sure if Andy is back yet. I've sent Bryan a text message but it may be a bit as he's at work.

I am a Positive it's just a false positive though you guys. Problem is I don't know how to tell you to fix it. I remember this happening once before though for some people, I think with version 2.3.2. I can't remember which virus program but I do remember it happening. Andy said they are just false positives.

So, all I know is until Andy or Bryan can get back on you can either wait or just delete the virus protection and install AVG or another free one that actually works right.LOL

Sorry, I am not much help with this I know.LOL

• iakstiggeriakstigger Member Posts: 85
    Well I thought I had figured out what my problem was but I was wrong. Darn Kaspersky I've been running MTC for over a year and now you tell me I can't and delete it off my machine. Right now I have done what BettyM suggested and it seems to be working.
  • Laura FremontLaura Fremont Member Posts: 211
    I had this same thing happen to me yesterday. I did a support request, but I'm glad to see other people and not just me. I thought it was just me - I was so worried. I'll keep watching here for solution.
    Laura
    Well iakstigger
    I am so glad that the steps I mentioned worked for you :)
  • IrisIris Member Posts: 195
    We have the same problems in germany.
    http://kreativebastelideen.blogspot.com/ Black Cat Cougar, Gazelle, Silhouette Cameo MTC, SCAL, Funtime, CutWizard Plugin for Inkscape, SSDE
  • BeverlyBaxleyBeverlyBaxley Member Posts: 20
    Nice to hear that I'm not alone. I'll try to be patient and let you really bright friends figure it out. I ran a full scan on my computer last night after it deleted Mtc as a worm. Scared me bad!
    I'll catch you all later. Out to take watercolor class.
    Hugs,
    Beverly
  • TylerTyler Member Posts: 850
    Christy - Andy switched the install because of the virus programs tagging the program.

AVG is a great free antivirus program for those of you that are switching.
    Crafting Supplies for your Die Cutting Machine! Cutting with the new Silver Bullet!
    Does anyone have a solution using ZoneAlarm I still can't use my MTC program
    No, you need to contact them I think. It's not MTC or it would be doing it to ALL of us I would think. If you want to wait Andy will probably be in webinar tonight and I"m sure he will shed some light.

Tyler, You are right. I remember he had to do that. Thank you!!! Hopefully he won't have to again . That has to be a pain for him.

• PeakscrapperPeakscrapper Member Posts: 83
    Add me to the list of people that Kaspersky nailed this morning. Will wait for Andy's take on a fix.
    I'm able to use mine now but I had to restore the exe file from zonealarm and then I turned off zonealarm and then shut computer down turned back on and used the short cut for MTC and it opened and worked but when I leave there I have to turn on zonealarm again as long as I DON'T try to open MTC then its fine I guess till its fixed I can turn zonealarm off and on to use the MTC software. kind of a pain but I still can use it I was going through withdrawals yesterday not being able to cut in it.
  • AndyAndy Administrator Posts: 4,579
    Make The Cut! was updated to version 3.2.1 to address the false-positive from kaspersky.

You can download it here:
    http://www.make-the-cut.com/Download.aspx
    I don't often test my code... But when I do, I do it in production.
This discussion has been closed.