NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

CanNOT get Cricut to find computer/ vice versa

newgracenewgrace Posts: 9Member
edited January 2011 in Help for Make The Cut
PLEASE help! I've had MTC for over a year now and made several projects w/ it... I just made Christmas presents w/ it early December. Then went to make a second batch mid-December and my Cricut no longer can tell it's hooked up to my computer. Ugh. I updated my firmware on my Cricut Expressions to be 2.3.4 and my MTC to 3.2.0. I updated the MTC drivers. No luck. I was out of town so I just came back to it and REALLY want to give my, now quite late, Christmas presents to friends this Friday.

I'm using Windows 7 on Parallels on my Mac... I tried tonight to use the trial version of Design Studio to see if I could get Cricut to see my computer that way. But, after installing and uninstalling numerous times, CDS won't even open on my computer (a Windows 7 issue?).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Comments

• CaseysAngelCaseysAngel Posts: 14,967Member
    no not a windows 7 issue. I have windows 7 and CDS works fine.

What error message do you get when you try to cut from mtc?
    Christy http://everdaylittlethings.blogspot.com/
    Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • newgracenewgrace Posts: 9Member
    "Could not locate a Cricut machine. Please make sure that the Cricut machine is plugged into this computer and that the Cricut machine is powered on."
  • neldanelda Posts: 11,637Moderator
    I would change to a different USB port (try all of them) and try changing the USB cable as well to a "certified 2.0 USB" cable.
    In Indy, blogging along at http://papercraftingwithnelda.blogspot.com/
    Lettering Delights affiliate - order through here to give me credit!
    Cutters: using the the Silhouette SD almost exclusively these days!
    are you sure you are on the right port? a few things you need to try.

1. click cut project with and make sure the cricut is the cutter selected
    2. Check the port and make sure it's set for your cricut. Com 3 is usually the default but it is NOT generally the right port. The port you are looking for says (usb serial port)

Let me know if this helps.
    Cutters: Craft Robo, Cricut Expression, and the absolute BEST A BLACK CAT COUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited January 2011
    Well, the ports are titled differently as it's a "Virtual PC" on my Mac... but I just tried both w/ no success... same cord I've always used...

One thing I notice is that it used to be that when I powered my Cricut on (w/ MTC running, and Cricut already plugged in to computer) the Cricut's powering up message would tell me it was connected to a computer. Now, instead, it tells me which cartridge is installed. Grrrr. Am I doing it in the wrong order (1: MTC on, 2: connect "off" Cricut to computer, 3: turn Cricut on)? Pretty sure that's how I've always done it...
    Post edited by newgrace on
    Oh, but yes, both USB ports are labeled as serial ports, the second w/ a #2... and no matter which I plug it into, my computer knows it's there, but the Cricut is not finding the computer.
    humm not sure about that one. Maybe it's a mac issue? I don't know.

I'll send Bryan a message to check this thread. Maybe he can help more but I know nothing about a Mac.LOL
    Yeah, I didn't think it was a problem since I've been using it for awhile now, but I don't know what else to blame it on... so the Mac becomes the scapegoat. ;)

ALL help is welcome, THANK YOU!!!
  • ThymeThyme Posts: 2,519Member
    Have you told the computer that the Cricut needs to be "seen" on the windows side and not the mac side?
    Under Devices - usb
    Yes- each time I plugged in the Cricut (to either USB port) my computer asked if it should connect the USB device to the Mac or Virtual PC. I, of course, chose the virtual machine... which is where, in the device menu, I could see that they are labeled as USB- Serial and USB- Serial 2.
  • ThymeThyme Posts: 2,519Member
    Oh dear, don't know then , I was hoping that would be the probelm
    I heard form Bryan this morning. He didn't have time to help you before he went to work but said he'd check in as soon as he could to help.
    Excellent... for the short term I am going to try, this evening, to use my work laptop which is a PC... but I am not positive it will work, and obviously want to find the long-term solution!
  • SBryanWSBryanW Posts: 4,410Administrator
    My suggestion was going to be along the lines of Thyme's. When using a virtual machine, you normally have to let the PC and the virutual machine know which usb ports go to the virtual machine. I'm not familiar with parallels running on the Mac, but do you have to tell or set something on the virtual machine side to look at that usb port?
    Yes, I have told the virtual machine to recognize the Cricut, and it can... it is the Cricut which is not finding the computer... which then means MTC cannot tell the Cricut is there. The computer itself has no issues finding the Cricut.
    hummm, I would try it on the laptop. If it still doesn't work on there then you know it's an issue with the cricut. If it does then you know somehow a setting has been changed on the mac???

I don't know just a thought.LOL
  • SBryanWSBryanW Posts: 4,410Administrator
    edited January 2011
    You could also download the demo version of SCAL (Mac version - and only the demo version ;-) ) and see if the cricut has a problem recognizing that it is hooked up to the Mac.
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    Okay, I'll try my work PC and SCAL on Mac tonight and LYK what I manage to accomplish. :) Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.