NEW SOFTWARE RELEASED! - Popup Card Studio v1.0.1
Click here to learn more!

Making Ovals or Circles and then putting letters inside of them

joesallyjoesally Posts: 86Member
edited January 2011 in General
I also tried search to no avail. I was wondering hot to make a oval and then put text inside of it. Do I have too do it somewhere else first and then bring it into MTC? Is there a tutorial?

Thanks

Comments

• StephPStephP Posts: 955Member
    Click on an oval from the basic shapes tab.
    Then put your letter where you want inside.
    Select both the letter and the shape and click "join" Then your letter will be cut out of the oval.
  • Calgalcr8sCalgalcr8s Posts: 2,623Member
    edited January 2011
    The way Steph described above you will get more a stencil effect.

Here is another way to do this for a different effect:
    1.Select Oval from Import Basic Shapes.
    2.Generate a shadow. Check the Inset Shadow and make it as wide as you want.
    With the defaut layer and the shadow layer selected, click on Join. You should have an oval with the center cut out.
    3.From the Text and Fonts tab select a letter(s). Resize the letter to fit in the oval. Be sure the letter touches the oval.
    4. Select All and do a Weld.
    Letter in Oval sample.png
    439 x 849 - 39K
    Post edited by Calgalcr8s on
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Posts: 1,129Member
    If you want an oval window with letters inside on the front of a card, you would do it like calgal says except use a rectangle (shape of your card) as the outer shape instead of the oval shadow. Point is you have to have an outer shape for this to work.
  • joesallyjoesally Posts: 86Member
    Wow, I will try that. Thanks so much
  • elliott37elliott37 Posts: 1,007Member
    If you're wanting a bunch of text written in the shape of an oval (filling the oval shape) you'll need to do that in another program. I use CorelDraw for that, but you may be able to do it in Inkscape (I don't use Inkscape, so I don't know).
    In NC cutting with a Cameo & 18" BC Cougar
    How did you get the wider oval? I got everything else to work but can't figure out the thicker oval.
    Another question, is there a great font to make monograms with like first initial small, last name large and middle initial small?
  • cleversomedaycleversomeday Posts: 1,129Member
    Joesally,
    She got the larger oval by selecting the first oval and clicking the shadow button, then moving the slider to the desired width.
    You really need a special monogram font for the type of monogram you mention because the line weights won't match with the outside letters of a regular font shrunk to a different size. There are many for sale such as Vine Monogram and Darling Monogram, but none free.
    The best free font for this is probably monogram kk.
    http://www.abstractfonts.com/font/12545
    You may want to shadow it to beef it up a little depending on how small you need it.
  • Calgalcr8sCalgalcr8s Posts: 2,623Member
    Joesally,

Depending on how thick you want the oval. You may have to bring in two ovals Make one larger than the other. Align them on top of each, then do the Join.

Cleversomeday, Thank you so much. This worked great.
This discussion has been closed.